VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 12:53:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Defense is a major problem  (Read 2654 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2019, 05:56:21 EDT »

Don't get me wrong, our offense isn't good, very vanilla, we don't use our senior receivers enough, and JG is very inconsistent.

However, the D is swiss cheese. Got pushed around by G state. The line sucks, LBs are slow, and secondary can't tackle or cover. The line can't stop the run, nor can they generate a pass rush. Not sure what they can actually do.

We do have a good kicker and punter though.

It will be a long year.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 06:04:14 EDT »

Not only all that but they couldn't even get lined up at times.  Absolutely insane.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 06:10:49 EDT »

I was stunned, and I mean absolutely floored, by how bad the D was. Our DEs and LBs were too slow, our DBs to undisciplined, to contain GaState — GEORGIA FREAKIN' STATE! — on the edge. If we're that bad against a cellar-dwelling Sunbelt team, how in the hell can we even come close to slowing down an SEC team? Some people say it was an indication of just how bad the talent on the UT roster is. Okay, fine. Let's assume that we don't have SEC-caliber players. But we surely to goodness have Sunbelt-caliber players, right? And for 60 minutes on Saturday we couldn't stop a lower-level Sunbelt team that was running a fairly simple offense and often times running the same plays, by their own coach's admission. Pruitt is supposed to be a defensive mastermind, and then he brings in Ansley who is also a respected defensive coach. Not only were they schooled by GaState's staff on Saturday, but it looked like they spent the entire offseason teaching their guys NOTHING about the game of football.

I'm hoping we find out this week that Saturday was an aberration. If it wasn't, I'm 100% on board with canning Pruitt immediately. I know that's not going to happen; I'm just saying it should happen. Because if Saturday was a true indication of how well this team was prepared and how well they've been taught the fundamentals of football, our head coach is a miserable failure.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 06:51:42 EDT »

I was stunned, and I mean absolutely floored, by how bad the D was. Our DEs and LBs were too slow, our DBs to undisciplined, to contain GaState — GEORGIA FREAKIN' STATE! — on the edge. If we're that bad against a cellar-dwelling Sunbelt team, how in the hell can we even come close to slowing down an SEC team? Some people say it was an indication of just how bad the talent on the UT roster is. Okay, fine. Let's assume that we don't have SEC-caliber players. But we surely to goodness have Sunbelt-caliber players, right? And for 60 minutes on Saturday we couldn't stop a lower-level Sunbelt team that was running a fairly simple offense and often times running the same plays, by their own coach's admission. Pruitt is supposed to be a defensive mastermind, and then he brings in Ansley who is also a respected defensive coach. Not only were they schooled by GaState's staff on Saturday, but it looked like they spent the entire offseason teaching their guys NOTHING about the game of football.

I'm hoping we find out this week that Saturday was an aberration. If it wasn't, I'm 100% on board with canning Pruitt immediately. I know that's not going to happen; I'm just saying it should happen. Because if Saturday was a true indication of how well this team was prepared and how well they've been taught the fundamentals of football, our head coach is a miserable failure.
There were some really, REALLY bad angles taken - see Phillips on multiple occasions as well as To'o To'o a couple of times
I'll say this about To'o To'o, he may have been running in the wrong place but unlike several on the defense he at least was running to the ball!
Besides not knowing how to align themselves, not knowing the called defense, they were PASSIVE as hell!  Let the blocker come to them, then (slowly) reacting

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 07:01:29 EDT »

There's just no way our talent is THAT bad.. no way.  It just has to be a severe case of overlooking the opponent, right?

When we got to our seats I thought to myself "I know absolutely nothing about Ga State... what kind of offense do they run?"  I hadn't given it any thought last week.  And the game played out like our whole team and coaches had the exact same approach.

If we come out and play this Saturday like that again, I'm with Creek.. it's time for drastic, unprecedented action immediately.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 07:52:56 EDT »

Banks and ToTo (for short) aren't slow....You look slow when you don't know what to do and when the ball is snapped you are still thinking about what to do....by then it's too late. We had poor effort. I saw a video this morning of Ga State's first play from scrimmage the 2nd half and we had half our defense walking/jogging to the ball carrier and he was already 25 yards downfield....It was something you'd see from a youth league game at the city park. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 10:14:45 EDT »

Not only all that but they couldn't even get lined up at times.  Absolutely insane.

What the hell formation is this??

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:16:55 EDT by Volznut » Logged
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 10:26:22 EDT »

Have you seen the video of what they do from that formation? Qb runs directly at the 3 on the line at the top. They all crash inside. QB gets a nice gain. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:28:06 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 11:55:14 EDT »

Everyone called Pruitt a great D coordinator.  He was good with 5* talent everywhere on the field at UGa and Bama. How can he coach a team with a D that looked so ill prepared and so out of place Saturday.

volsboyinsodak
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 04:59:09 EDT »

UT's problem is that the game of football is no longer fun.

Not for the players.
Or the coaches.
Or the fans.
Not to mention for recruits.
It's human nature: How much emotional investment is worth it, without a payoff?   

It is evident that practices and games have become drudgery.   Jeremy lost the team against Mizzou and Vandy last year.  It doesn't appear that he has gotten them back.

Going through the motions, listless body language in the season opener?  Is this what "It's football time in TN!" has become?

The BYU game is HUGE.  Any self-respecting team that has any pride, any dignity at all, will come out with something to prove.  It is a statement game.

What makes things fun again?  Winning.  And only winning.  Win against BYU, and a good, fun season is to be had.   Lose against BYU, and the season death spiral awaits.  And so a lot rides on the BYU game.  No pressure, Jeremy.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 05:04:14 EDT »

UT's problem is that the game of football is no longer fun.

Not for the players.
Or the coaches.
Or the fans.
Not to mention for recruits.
It's human nature: How much emotional investment is worth it, without a payoff?   

It is evident that practices and games have become drudgery.   Jeremy lost the team against Mizzou and Vandy last year.  It doesn't appear that he has gotten them back.

Going through the motions, listless body language in the season opener?  Is this what "It's football time in TN!" has become?

The BYU game is HUGE.  Any self-respecting team that has any pride, any dignity at all, will come out with something to prove.  It is a statement game.

What makes things fun again?  Winning.  And only winning.  Win against BYU, and a good, fun season is to be had.   Lose against BYU, and the season death spiral awaits.  And so a lot rides on the BYU game.  No pressure, Jeremy.

+1
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 09:46:56 EDT »

Absolutely.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 03:53:30 EDT »

BYU will beat us by at least 10

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 04:06:01 EDT »

BYU will beat us by at least 10

And Oregon will beat  Auburn 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: