VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 10:33:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ok, I have a telephone interview in a hour. How do I answer the question  (Read 6493 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:54:25 EST »

what is your weakness?

Need serious answers please.

Thanks.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:55:27 EST »

Kryptonite 
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:01:11 EST »

Seriously be honest - don't try to turn strengths into weaknesses...talk about any weakness you have but state realistic goals to overcome them.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 07:10:02 EST »

"answering stupid questions"

No..seriously, I'd stay away from something like "I work too hard", it's sounds like BS. Go with something related to training and how you have wanted to get more education in a certain something but have not had the time yet. It shows that you are interested in furthering your knowledge.

generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:11:48 EST »

what is your weakness?

Thanks.

Parenting.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:20:45 EST »

Parenting.

I laughed.

To answer the OP... It's a dumb question that nobody should ever have to answer. But if you have to answer it, tell the truth but tell how you are fixing it or plan on fixing it. My weakness is a natural inclination against delegation.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 08:35:03 EST »

I hate the question and have NEVER asked it (only lemmings ask it btw). That having been said I've answered it a lot, usually poorly. I've been tempted to use 'Nut's line.

Have fun with the interview IV. Please let us know how it goes.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:36:20 EST »

My weakness is taking orders from a superior when I'm convinced that my way is the best way. I told a publisher that once, too. He looked at me with a look of surprise on his face and said, "Are you saying you're insubordinate?" I grinned and shrugged and said that it kinda depended on which way you look at it.

A few days later he offered me the job. (Which I turned down and have since wondered whether it might be the biggest mistake I have ever made.)
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 08:48:20 EST »

I laughed.

To answer the OP... It's a dumb question that nobody should ever have to answer. But if you have to answer it, tell the truth but tell how you are fixing it or plan on fixing it. My weakness is a natural inclination against delegation.

That (bolded) was my response the last time I was asked that quesiton in an interivew (for a supervisory/management position).
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 08:52:28 EST »

generic name is on a roll today.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 08:53:08 EST »

That (bolded) was my response the last time I was asked that quesiton in an interivew (for a supervisory/management position).

Wait you and I are both control freaks??? WHO KNEW??? 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 08:54:45 EST »

Wait you and I are both control freaks??? WHO KNEW??? 

I like to think of it as positive results freaks, but "po-tay-to," "po-tah-to." 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 09:03:26 EST »

I like to think of it as positive results freaks, but "po-tay-to," "po-tah-to." 

If you can't get it done right, do it ALL yourself. 

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 09:05:11 EST »

Done, over and major disappointment.  Maybe something else will come up I can do part time.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 09:26:23 EST »

If you can't get it done right, do it ALL yourself. 
I once was asked why I wasn't using the (useless government) engineer assigned to me to do a particular activity.  My response was that it took longer for me to explain what he needed to do each and every task (that would not be accomplished correctly in any case since he couldn't be bothered to like learn the basics ) than to just do it myself.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 09:34:37 EST »

That stinks. It's never fun to get your hopes up and then, uh, have them dashed. I hate that feeling.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 11:24:36 EST »

That stinks. It's never fun to get your hopes up and then, uh, have them dashed. I hate that feeling.

Major was probably too strong of a word....just disappointed.  Thx for the words though.
Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 11:34:45 EST »

what is your weakness?

Thanks.

"My penchant for smart-ass answers to ridiculous questions."
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 11:45:52 EST »

"My penchant for smart-ass answers to ridiculous questions."

We share a similar problem.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 02:21:33 EST »

what is your weakness?

Thanks.

Too late to be of assistance to you, but I answered very honestly in an interview for a promotion I had recently.  It was a management position and I had mixed feelings.  More money, but way, way, waaaay, more stupid time-wasting shizzle to do.  It would have been morning to evening meetings, entering endless personnel data on employees into databases, etc, etc.  It would also have been leading and coordinating tasks, but that part didn't bother me.  I already do a good bit of that.

So they asked the "weakness" question, and I answered VERY honestly.  I said, in so many words, that based on what you guys tell me your job is (the interview was with a panel of three, two of whom would be my fellow managers at the same level), I will have to commit to being more timely and organized, because right now I am not in that mode.

It ended up I was probably the second of 11 for that job, and my answer made the difference.  My direct supervisor told me so.

But you know what?  I was definitely okay with it!  I am an engineer, and I didn't want to give up the technical work, which I find fascinating and still enjoy, to go do a bunch of mngmt BS just to make more money.

Maybe in a few more years....but there is an example of honesty paying off, because they correctly read that I didn't really want the job at the end of the day.  I have no regrets whatever.  I love what I am doing now, other than working long hours.  But that will be changing come December, or I hope.  (Was supposed to have more free time in September, October, NOVEMBER ($*$*!) , but my %&&%^% projects keep slipping deadlines to the right on me , lol).

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 02:22:31 EST »

Say Ladies 25-35 and Jack Daniels

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: