VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 09:15:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OSU/Minnesota playing in a blizzard.*  (Read 3665 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:13:31 EST »

nm

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:42:47 EST »

At kickoff it was 10 deg.  Ouch!  Why on Earth they destroyed their dome, I have no idea.  Perhaps they think the weather is an advantage...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:01:13 EST »

At kickoff it was 10 deg.  Ouch!  Why on Earth they destroyed their dome, I have no idea.  Perhaps they think the weather is an advantage...

Well, they're building a new dome for the Vikings, but I think UM is going to stay on campus.  The Metrodome had just become too dangerous- I know the roof had collapsed at least once from snow, maybe twice.  If that happens during a game with 70,000+ people inside, you've got a full-fledged disaster.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 07:05:48 EST »

Well, they're building a new dome for the Vikings, but I think UM is going to stay on campus.  The Metrodome had just become too dangerous- I know the roof had collapsed at least once from snow, maybe twice.  If that happens during a game with 70,000+ people inside, you've got a full-fledged disaster.

Yep.  UM built an outdoor stadium some time back and stopped playing in the Metrodome. 

Saw an NFL game in the dome, and have seen Twins games there.  It was a gawdawful place to watch a sporting event. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 07:15:16 EST »

Yep.  UM built an outdoor stadium some time back and stopped playing in the Metrodome. 

Saw an NFL game in the dome, and have seen Twins games there.  It was a gawdawful place to watch a sporting event. 

I'm glad we're moving out of the multipurpose stadium era.  Those places just made for poor fan experiences for all sports played there- but especially football.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Oakland the last stadium left in America that houses both NFL and MLB teams?

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 07:44:08 EST »

I'm glad we're moving out of the multipurpose stadium era.  Those places just made for poor fan experiences for all sports played there- but especially football.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Oakland the last stadium left in America that houses both NFL and MLB teams?

I can't think of another one. 

Not an NFL team, but Skydome is still the home to both the Blue Jays and the Toronto CFL team. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 07:52:30 EST »

I can't think of another one. 

Not an NFL team, but Skydome is still the home to both the Blue Jays and the Toronto CFL team. 

There's also Miami.  The Marlins don't play there anymore, but it's still a crappy facility for football, with acres and acres of out of bounds space.  You sit in the front row, you're still at least 50 yards from the sideline.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 07:54:07 EST »

There's also Miami.  The Marlins don't play there anymore, but it's still a crappy facility for football, with acres and acres of out of bounds space.  You sit in the front row, you're still at least 50 yards from the sideline.

Yep.  Never have seen a football game at Joe Robbie, but I have been to several baseball games there.  It was the most un-fan friendly baseball venue I have ever been to. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 08:13:50 EST »

I think the worst place I've ever been to was the Kingdome.  It was dark, dingy, and just didn't feel safe.  I also saw a Rockies game at Mile High Stadium.  That was pretty terrible as well.  It wasn't even a multi-purpose stadium- it was a true football stadium in which they somehow pigeon-holed a baseball field.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 08:42:10 EST »

Of course, the way I see it, why have taxpayers pay for two overpriced stadiums, when one multi-use stadium is cheaper. I have seen these pro-teams stick it to the tax-payers.

volsboyinsodak
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 09:18:05 EST »

Of course, the way I see it, why have taxpayers pay for two overpriced stadiums, when one multi-use stadium is cheaper. I have seen these pro-teams stick it to the tax-payers.

Most of these stadium deals these days are split between public and private funds, and the public money is usually raised via increased hotel/motel taxes.  So if you don't want to pay for a particular city's stadium, just don't stay in their city or county limits.  Simple as that.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 09:25:05 EST »

Most of these stadium deals these days are split between public and private funds, and the public money is usually raised via increased hotel/motel taxes.  So if you don't want to pay for a particular city's stadium, just don't stay in their city or county limits.  Simple as that.
tampa did it the Los fashion way,'with a special tax
To this date I have kept my vow that I would not set foot in the stadium unless the VOLS were playing (twice so far)

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: