VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 01:52:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't know what kind of football player Vic Wharton will end up being  (Read 3014 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2013, 04:40:28 EDT »

but if he works half as hard on his game as he does recruiting other guys to come play with him then he will be a leader at UT pretty early on. I've never seen a recruit so visibly and publicly hit the trail and try to work up momentum for his future team . . . and it sure sounds like he's got TK2 and now Hurd in that same mode. Thank you Twitter.

Wharton's offer list is not quite as impressive as the other two but I don't think we could have handpicked a better guy to reel in as our first commitment for 2014. Kid is doing serious work.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

101stDad
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:47:50 EDT »

Part of Wharton's issue is that he's been tabbed by some as a malcontent because he played at 3 different schools during his first 3 years of high school.  He played at Knoxville Catholic his freshman year and had a bit of an attitude according to some folks from Catholic that I have talked to, but he seems to have grown up and matured, as one would expect.  Bottom line - he's a tremendous athlete and will either prove or disprove his doubters. 
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:05:10 EDT »

Part of Wharton's issue is that he's been tabbed by some as a malcontent because he played at 3 different schools during his first 3 years of high school.  He played at Knoxville Catholic his freshman year and had a bit of an attitude according to some folks from Catholic that I have talked to, but he seems to have grown up and matured, as one would expect.  Bottom line - he's a tremendous athlete and will either prove or disprove his doubters. 

He certainly doesn't come across as having attitude issues. In fact with the way he reaches out to kids from all over the South he seems like a big-time team player. But I guess we'll all see once he's wearing the orange.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 05:12:02 EDT »

LOL. A commenter at RockyTopTalk just referred to him as our "Recruiting Co-Wharton-ator."

101stDad
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 05:16:06 EDT »

He certainly doesn't come across as having attitude issues. In fact with the way he reaches out to kids from all over the South he seems like a big-time team player. But I guess we'll all see once he's wearing the orange.

I agree with you, CO.  Just passing on some of the "knocks" that have been out there on him since his freshman year at Catholic. 

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 05:21:31 EDT »

It appears that recruiting via twitter by committed players is the way around the recruiting contact rules and I suspect it has been a big part of other teams success in recruiting. Glad to see we joined the rest of the world now in this regard.

Although kids aren't signed until they sign, it would seem unlikely anyone would try to help bring in others and then leave you at the altar. Unless Butch pulls a dooley this year I think we will have a great class. May not hit top 10 since we need to take so many linemen but I can live with that. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 05:26:18 EDT »

It appears that recruiting via twitter by committed players is the way around the recruiting contact rules and I suspect it has been a big part of other teams success in recruiting. Glad to see we joined the rest of the world now in this regard.

It is great to have these players burning up the twitterverse, but if I am not mistaken, I think some or even a lot of the restrictions on coaches contacting players have been lifted.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
101stDad
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:33:12 EDT »

It is great to have these players burning up the twitterverse, but if I am not mistaken, I think some or even a lot of the restrictions on coaches contacting players have been lifted.

Yes, they have and a lot of coaches/schools weren't in favor of that.  It's opened up a lot of gray area.  I can't recall what school it was, but I saw last night that a school has decided not to continue recruiting a player because an assistant coach "shared information via Twitter" that was not allowed to be shared by NCAA rules.

The intent is probably good, but some of those gray areas need to be addressed. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: