VTTW Board Index
May 11, 2024, 01:51:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Report  (Read 1617 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2016, 03:24:42 EST »

Offense:
OL: Fair, at best.  Our OTs were abused.  Kendrick had his worse game of the year IMO.  Richmond was abused early but seemed to improve, a bit.  The interior had a few busts but provided negative push on interior runs (best blocking for interior runs by TEs).  In pass blocking inconsistent as hell.  Started very bad and maybe improved to fair.  Several of Dobbs' runs were scrambles due to poor pass protection.

RB: Kelly was very good, like to see him used more as a receiver.  He runs with violence.  Kamara was poor as a runner, didn't seem to have his typical burst.  As a receiver ok, dropped a sure TD.  We are in good hands with Kelly as the lead RB but need a FR or Fils-Aami to step up as a #2.  Kelly has the power of the quitter but with far better speed.

WR:  Malone has developed into a good receiver.  Jennings dropped two TDs but otherwise played well.  Smith was ok, nothing to write home about.  Byrd played his most snaps of the year but needs to develop better consistency.  George got more snaps than usual but did nothing if note with them.  Dobbs could have thrown for 450+ yards on their secondary if needed and minus the three dropped TD passes.

TE:  best game of the year, both in receiving, line and downfield blocking.  IMO Croom played better than Wolf down the stretch and last night.  Scott has done a good job with the group.  Wish we had another year with Croom at TE.

QB: Ho hum, just another day at the office for Dobbs.  Nothing special to discuss ...  All that aside it was not his best game but his most consistent IMO.  His command of the offense was on display.  Nebraska went zero coverage on two plays in the 1st.  On the first I don't know if the slant to Jennings was called but Dobbs recognized the coverage and moved Jennings himself.  If the slant had been called he moved Jennings to provide proper spacing but I believe he changed the route as well. On both passes he put the ball where he needed to, Jennings and Kamara flat dropped them.
Dobbs had some poor passes but only once did he put the ball close to danger but that was due to pressure that resulted in a short throw as Jennings had (barely) got behind the defender.  Later, essentially the same play Jennings dropped the ball.
Running?  Out freaking standing.
Grade: A+  We will miss him next year.  Was he an elite passer? No, but he really improved his passing this year, much more a complete QB and IMO a much better QB than a recent croc QB that Peyton replaced in Denver.

Defense:
DL: Best game of the year, even with only one true DT.  The ends abused their OTs all freaking night.  The tackles played much better against the run and were a presence in the pass rush.  Kongbo had, by far, his best game of the year and for sure played his most snaps.  He also chased plays down the field.  His improvement from the last game was phenomenal.  The only long run was given up by the 2nd string DL & LBs.  DB9 wasn't just a spass rusher.  He defended the run well and at least twice dropped into coverage, the 2nd of which he covered a TE to the sideline for a minimal gain.  He should be a top 5 pick.

LB: Kirtland played much closer to his ability.  Easily his best game coming back from the injury.  His burst was back.  A couple of breakdowns but it was good to see him healthier.  Jumper was as Jumper is  CMac played, for the most part, pretty good.  Bynum played a lot in the first half in our 4-3.  Berry played a few series.  A lot of our run D success was due to improved LB play.  Need to improve pass coverage.

DB: Cam had a quiet night, mostly because they avoided him.  When given the opportunity he played well, though I'd like to have seen him come off his man to help out the safety on one of their TDs.  The other corners were poor, at best.  Gaulden played the best I'd anyone not named Cam.  He covered the slants very, very well. He was also our chief blitzed from the secondary.  
Safeties need to improve. Period. Dot.  TK played ok, though in the first half he was essentially playing LB except in true passing situations.  Most early down plays he was within 10 yards of the LOS at the snap.  Almost all the first half we played one deep safety but unlike earlier in the year we didn't rotate the safeties in and back.
One thing was consistent was poor DB skills displayed throughout the game (my in game post might have expressed my frustration).  

ST: Grade B
Two KO out of bounds but after a 45+ made FG Medleynstarted kicking the ball into the end zone, wierd.
Punting was inconsistent except that twice we downed the ball inside the 5, one at the 1 foot line.
Byrd fumbled a return but we were aggressive in returns last night, something we we really hadn't been since Berry's injury.

Coaching: The team was prepared to played and the game plans were pretty good, especially on defense.  In the 4th quarter we effectively changed how we were covering their best receiver.
IMO Jones needs to make two changes.  It is clear to me the secondary is not performing well and showed little to no improvement through the season, with really poor skills development displayed to the point I think we regressed.  The OL regressed though I might give Mahoney another shot due to the injuries, though with a month of preparation this lineup didn't perform well IMO.

Go VOLS!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:28:00 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 04:34:05 EST »

I had forgotten the return of Richmond Flowers, Smith with nice hurdle technique of a NU corner for additional yards

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 04:44:55 EST »

Thanks Pirate for you season long game reports.  It is always something I looked forward to reading once a game was over.  Keep up the great work!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 06:05:15 EST »

Yeah, we are gonna miss Dobbs for sure.   

Regarding the D, we put in a bunch of second stringers with about 5 minutes to go in the third up 24-7, and they went through us like water.  The entire second string DL was in along with Jumper. I didn't get a chance to check the DBs, might try to find it on the DVR later, but it looked like our D in the Vandy game. From that point on, there was very little substitution on D.   Speaks volumes.  I think we basically had little to no depth on D yesterday. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 07:21:44 EST »

Good report Pirate!

We play against USC and Vandy like we did yesterday we are a 11 win team today!

Kamara looked like he was looking for places to hide yesterday.....He served us well and we mis-used him for the greater part of his career here but yesterday he clearly was thinking beyond a bowl game. JMO.

The DB coach needs to be clearing out his office today...not tomorrow or Monday...today. Not sure the linebacker coach should be doing the same. Just don't know about Mahoney....I feel like he might get another year. I've heard Debord is moving to OL coach (?)...so where does that leave Mahoney if true?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: