VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 06:19:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am not a technologically hip kind of guy.....  (Read 2085 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2016, 12:46:36 EDT »

I still have a flip phone. I don't text. I don't twit. My home computer is an old Dell with Windows XP. My home sound system consists of 30 year old high fidelity analog component equipment. (That's "high fidelity", not just stereo, for those that think music sounds as good on their phones. Trust me, it doesn't compare to a 250 watt per channel Hafler amp.)

I don't use cruise control or the automatic climate control in either of my cars. Every three years when I lease a Bimmer, I get as little tech on it as I can. Heated seats, heated steering wheel, all wheel drive. I thank the Lord that I will be dead before autonomous cars are mandated.

It's not that I'm a Luddite. I don't fight against technology. I just neither need nor care for all of it. I do, however, cast a jaundiced eye towards much of the technology and its applications. So I will accept that I am biased against many of the things that are created and made available to the public.

That said, I will state the following as an indisputable fact: Pokemon Go is the dumbest thing ever foisted upon the public.

Human drones are walking around with their heads jammed down into their "smart" phones trying to capture a little yellow chicken. What the hell is happening to civilization?  And yes, wise guys, I know it's not a chicken. (I think.) 
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 01:27:30 EDT »

Gotta agree with you.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 02:15:52 EDT »

I'm in the same camp.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 05:31:46 EDT »

I am as new age tech as can be for an old man. i have an Apple 6S and and Apple watch. Both my cars are tricked on on technical crap. As an engineer, I had to remain current on new and improving technology. That said, IMHO, you have to be a mindless, witless drone without a human soul to download Pokemon GO. What kind of a numbskull can think that chasing an invisible object only seen on your phone screen is a good use of your time? Now if you are smoking a bunch of weed, I could understand. But the people I have seen interviewed remind me of the idiot in the midriff shirt declaring "I swear it sounded just like a freight train just before my trailer turned over."
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 07:50:05 EDT »

Ha, I heard about it Saturday from a chat room in a different online game I play (basically a Risk game for smart phones called Landrule) and then some people were talking about it at work yesterday, and I assumed it was something that had been going on for months that I just now heard about.

It's only been around a few weeks, at least for the general public.    Talk about going viral quickly.

Having said that, my nephew was really into Pokemon whenever the Gameboy version came out (late 90s?), and he got me to try the card version with him and my other nephew a couple times.  I thought it was pretty stupid and only played it to humor him.   But to each their own, I guess (and I hope my now 23 year old nephew is NOT playing it!...lol).

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 03:02:35 EDT »

I'm with you Droner.  

I don't even know what the Pokedman stuff is all about.  

I'm a radio guy.  Yes, Radio.  I have a smart phone, which as most of you who know me will say that me using a smart phone is a definite oxymoron.  I only have one because I have to - need to be able to access emails pretty much all day because of work.  

I don't have an Ipod.  I still listen to music on CDs, although there are a couple Red Dirt/Texas Country apps on my phone I pull up when I don't have a radio/CD player handy.   

It's a good thing I have a son who is an electrical engineer.  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:05:36 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: