VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 11:41:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Athletic on our 2017 coaching search  (Read 649 times)
Creek Walker
« on: October 11, 2021, 09:03:09 EDT »

https://theathletic.com/2881454/2021/10/11/inside-tennessees-2017-search-that-turned-the-coaching-carousel/

Nothing too terribly earth-shattering in there, as it's mostly what we already knew. But the part that caught my eye is how Fulmer was allegedly meddling in the coaching search even before Schiano Sunday. According to The Athletic, one current head coach (not named) said he turned down an opportunity to take the job after interviewing because he realized that Fulmer was flexing his muscles behind the scenes, had Bev Davenport's ear and was attempting to undermine Currie, and he felt that the next coach wouldn't have an honest chance to succeed under those conditions. It is further alleged that Fulmer was actually contacting potential candidates even while Currie was the AD and was conducting his own search.

Of course, we know how it ended. Fulmer pulled off the coup, he hired someone he felt he could control and who fit the mold for how he felt college football should be played, someone who was just as stupidly stubborn as him, and it ended disastrously.

I'll always have fond memories of Tennessee football in the '90s, but the more we learn about Fulmer the more of a distaste I have for him. I never put much stock into Majors' claims that his own coaching tenure was sabotaged by Fulmer while Majors was in the hospital recovering from open heart surgery, but with everything we know about how Fulmer staged a coup against Currie in 2017, it's hard not to believe that everything Majors claimed was accurate. And it's easy to say that Majors did it to himself by being stubborn in his own right, not kissing the right tails, and with his affinity for the bottle, but I'm starting to believe that if we knew everything there is to know about Fulmer, we'd find that he has always been about Fulmer > the University of Tennessee. The fact that he walked away from his short tenure as AD with a 7-figure payout is an insult.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 09:07:42 EDT »

A post from another site summed it up well for me:

"Media: Tennessee doesn't suck like they are supposed to, so let's write a hit piece on the 2017 coaching search."
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 09:09:19 EDT »

"Media: Tennessee doesn't suck like they are supposed to, so let's write a hit piece on the 2017 coaching search."
SHACK!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 09:09:40 EDT »

Nah. It's actually part of a series that The Athletic is doing on coaching searches, not a hit piece aimed at Tennessee. Although Tennessee fans are pretty good at playing the victim card when it comes to the media.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: