VTTW Board Index
May 11, 2024, 09:59:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McRae is playing an absolutely horrid game on both ends  (Read 11902 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2013, 03:09:32 EDT »

And defensively we were terrible in the first half. Mercer is a far more disciplined and smart basketball team than us, and we aren't shooting free throws for shizzle either.

We're lucky to only be down 5.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:30:36 EDT »

He kinda looks like he'd rather go on spring break next week 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 03:31:07 EDT »

Horrible basketball. Half the team clearly DNGAF. Some are at least giving effort . . . Stokes, Richardson, Chievous . . . but when you miss a ton of FTs, allow a ton of easy layups, and jack threes like there's no tomorrow, you're not going to beat a team that clearly wants it.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

101stDad
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:32:41 EDT »

He kinda looks like he'd rather go on spring break next week 

Yep.  It's pretty obvious that he would rather be elsewhere. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:40:10 EDT »

Horrible basketball. Half the team clearly DNGAF. Some are at least giving effort . . . Stokes, Richardson, Chievous . . . but when you miss a ton of FTs, allow a ton of easy layups, and jack threes like there's no tomorrow, you're not going to beat a team that clearly wants it.

I agree.  Stokes was 100% and so were the other two.  McRae not just no, but hell no, and Golden only in spurts.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:41:20 EDT »

Yep.  It's pretty obvious that he would rather be elsewhere. 

Team has no heart whatsoever Tonight.

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:48:30 EDT »

For major college programs, these NIT games are completely meaningless.

If they meant anything, there would be more than 4,000 in the stands.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 03:52:12 EDT »

For major college programs, these NIT games are completely meaningless.

If they meant anything, there would be more than 4,000 in the stands.

Still suxes to watch, and IMO a game is a game.  A team that lacks heart to win a "meaningless" NIT game does not have the heart of a champion.  A true competitor wants to win everything.

Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 03:54:37 EDT »

Still suxes to watch, and IMO a game is a game.  A team that lacks heart to win a "meaningless" NIT game does not have the heart of a champion.  A true competitor wants to win everything.

You can take absolutely nothing away from these NIT teams. Sure you want to see the team win. But they mean nothing and they imply nothing about the team.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 03:56:15 EDT »

You can take absolutely nothing away from these NIT teams. Sure you want to see the team win. But they mean nothing and they imply nothing about the team.

They do imply something about the team and the coach, IMO. It could be an opportunity to get better, if you choose to use it. We clearly would rather not.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 04:00:33 EDT »

I'll say it again, true competitors always want to win.  Losers dial it in.

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 04:03:32 EDT »

Have you ever played competitive sports?
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 04:11:07 EDT »

Is your argument that losing in the first round of the NIT vs. winning five straight to be NIT champs really gives you no information about the players or the coach of a team?

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 04:11:17 EDT »

100% agree!!
101stDad
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 04:15:49 EDT »

I did, and I never played on a team that laid down, no matter what may or may not have been at stake. 

What we saw tonight was absolutely inexcusable.  It certainly didn't look like Mercer had any problem being up for this game and playing with some heart and effort. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 04:21:21 EDT »

Is your argument that losing in the first round of the NIT vs. winning five straight to be NIT champs really gives you no information about the players or the coach of a team?

A team that runs the table in the NIT tells you plenty. But you cannot really take anything away from a first round game where a team fails to show up. The same team and same coach could very easily come back and gut out a conference championship the next season. Is anyone honestly going to say that last night's loss by UK takes anything away from Calipari's coaching ability?

On a different level, this isn't unlike the Christmas tournaments the high school teams play in. Invariably there will be a team that will stink it up because they don't want to be there and then go and do very well in the state tournament.

Making blanket statements about players and coaches based on a single game is completely foolish. I mean, heck, if Bandit's assessment is correct, Hart should fire Cuonzo tomorrow. What justification would there be for keeping him around?

I don't like it, but it is what it is.
Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 04:24:11 EDT »

What we saw tonight was absolutely inexcusable.

And yet only 4000 showed up. The fans don't care about the game and we expect the players to?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 04:25:35 EDT »

it Was A Worst Effort Than I Even Imagined,Though We Shouldn't Really Be Surprised Since Cuonzo Basically Announced There Would Be No Effort Given.  Really,Really Disappointing.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 04:27:06 EDT »

A team that runs the table in the NIT tells you plenty. But you cannot really take anything away from a first round game where a team fails to show up. The same team and same coach could very easily come back and gut out a conference championship the next season. Is anyone honestly going to say that last night's loss by UK takes anything away from Calipari's coaching ability?

On a different level, this isn't unlike the Christmas tournaments the high school teams play in. Invariably there will be a team that will stink it up because they don't want to be there and then go and do very well in the state tournament.

Making blanket statements about players and coaches based on a single game is completely foolish. I mean, heck, if Bandit's assessment is correct, Hart should fire Cuonzo tomorrow. What justification would there be for keeping him around?

I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Calipari has a national title and virtually perennial NCAA tourney appearances. I think Cuonzo's failure to make it in-- ever, in his career-- adds a little context to his apparent inability to motivate even a mediocre effort in his teams' NIT appearances. When you can't get to the big dance, don't you think you'd try to make at least some statement about pride in your program, especially when you bitch locally and nationally about belonging in the NCAA tourney? What does this failure, added to that, do for his image or Tennessee's? Do you think we'll get the benefit of the doubt by the selection committee next time around? Hell no we won't.

There were things at stake in this game. We shat the bed. It means something.

101stDad
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 04:30:51 EDT »

And yet only 4000 showed up. The fans don't care about the game and we expect the players to?

Yes.  The players should even care if they are playing in a high school gym with 40 people watching.  It's called competing, which is something we saw none of tonight.  

Creek Walker
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 04:32:19 EDT »

Calipari has a national title and virtually perennial NCAA tourney appearances. I think Cuonzo's failure to make it in-- ever, in his career-- adds a little context to his apparent inability to motivate even a mediocre effort in his teams' NIT appearances. When you can't get to the big dance, don't you think you'd try to make at least some statement about pride in your program, especially when you bitch locally and nationally about belonging in the NCAA tourney? What does this failure, added to that, do for his image or Tennessee's? Do you think we'll get the benefit of the doubt by the selection committee next time around? Hell no we won't.

There were things at stake in this game. We shat the bed. It means something.

I hate to sound like Wes Rucker because I really don't like him, but I think you're reading waaaaay too much into this.

I'm still not sold on Cuonzo being a good coach at this level. But to me the lack of effort UT showed against Alabama means way more than what we saw tonight. And, btw, if Cuonzo really did indicate that it would be hard for his team to get motivated for this game I might feel differently. But I didn't personally hear him say that and I've yet t see the quote.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 04:34:43 EDT »

If I am competing against you I have one goal: WIN. Whether or not anyone other than the two of us ever knows about it, we will both know about it - and that's enuf motivation for me to play for nothing short of the W.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 04:37:23 EDT »

I did, and I never played on a team that laid down, no matter what may or may not have been at stake. 

What we saw tonight was absolutely inexcusable.  It certainly didn't look like Mercer had any problem being up for this game and playing with some heart and effort. 

Exactly dad....I played HS and college and we were taught to fight our asses off. Excuses are for losers.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 04:40:29 EDT »

I hate to sound like Wes Rucker because I really don't like him, but I think you're reading waaaaay too much into this.

I'm still not sold on Cuonzo being a good coach at this level. But to me the lack of effort UT showed against Alabama means way more than what we saw tonight. And, btw, if Cuonzo really did indicate that it would be hard for his team to get motivated for this game I might feel differently. But I didn't personally hear him say that and I've yet t see the quote.

Dude. I'm seeing the continuation of a pattern when what we need to be seeing is something better. I'm not reading into one game, because it did not occur in a damn vacuum.

Alabama was bad. This was bad. I just think it's silly to pretend it means nothing. It means there's not much pride backing up Martin's contention that we were an NCAA tourney team.

Creek Walker
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 04:41:15 EDT »

If I am competing against you I have one goal: WIN. Whether or not anyone other than the two of us ever knows about it, we will both know about it - and that's enuf motivation for me to play for nothing short of the W.

You and 101stdad missed my point. It has nothing to do with playing well because of the size of the crowd. It simply means that we, as fans, knew this game didn't mean jack; that's why we weren't there. Why are we surprised that the players might have felt similarly?

Btw, those who blame a bad performance on a team's lack of character probably aren't taking into account the exhibition games where teams typically turn in a less than stellar effort.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: