VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 11:33:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shaka Smart reportedly leaving Texas for Marquette...  (Read 1073 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2021, 07:59:02 EDT »

I know this year didn't go as we'd hoped, the "Fire Barnes" talk on Twitter after we lost in both tourneys is pretty silly don't y'all think?  I don't see how we could do better all things considered, and it could get much much worse.

I bet Texas would love to have a "Sweet 16 is the ceiling" type coach right about now.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 08:27:27 EDT »

Probably do better at Marquette being a basketball school without a football team. He's from that area too.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 08:45:40 EDT »

I know this year didn't go as we'd hoped, the "Fire Barnes" talk on Twitter after we lost in both tourneys is pretty silly don't y'all think?  I don't see how we could do better all things considered, and it could get much much worse.

I bet Texas would love to have a "Sweet 16 is the ceiling" type coach right about now.

It is incredibly silly, imo. This was one of my least-favorite Tennessee teams ever. But the only reason we're disappointed by a first round tournament exit is because Rick Barnes has elevated expectations, and because he has brought in talent that we all know should perform much better. The same Rick Barnes who coached his way into a first round tournament exit this year is the same Rick Barnes who coached those teams from two and three years ago that were so much fun to watch. He literally has built this program back from scratch.

With that said, the moment that Barnes flirted with UCLA and Fulmer went all out to keep him in Knoxville, his days were numbered, imo. If you're going to pay a coach $5m, it's not unreasonable to have $5m expectations. One year doesn't define a coach but if his teams continue to under-perform, the pressure is only going to get greater. I don't think it's unfair to have conversations about Barnes' ceiling. It's a reputation that he's built and it doesn't appear there's anything he can do or is willing to do to change the perception.

My biggest beef right now is this: As excited as I was when these 5-star kids were committing to Barnes, in hindsight I'd rather us get away from the one-and-dones and get back to recruiting kids like Admiral and Grant and Fulky.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 09:48:18 EDT »

It is incredibly silly, imo. This was one of my least-favorite Tennessee teams ever. But the only reason we're disappointed by a first round tournament exit is because Rick Barnes has elevated expectations, and because he has brought in talent that we all know should perform much better. The same Rick Barnes who coached his way into a first round tournament exit this year is the same Rick Barnes who coached those teams from two and three years ago that were so much fun to watch. He literally has built this program back from scratch.

With that said, the moment that Barnes flirted with UCLA and Fulmer went all out to keep him in Knoxville, his days were numbered, imo. If you're going to pay a coach $5m, it's not unreasonable to have $5m expectations. One year doesn't define a coach but if his teams continue to under-perform, the pressure is only going to get greater. I don't think it's unfair to have conversations about Barnes' ceiling. It's a reputation that he's built and it doesn't appear there's anything he can do or is willing to do to change the perception.

My biggest beef right now is this: As excited as I was when these 5-star kids were committing to Barnes, in hindsight I'd rather us get away from the one-and-dones and get back to recruiting kids like Admiral and Grant and Fulky.

Since Barnes inked his new deal 2 years ago to make him top 5 paid coach in the country Barnes SEC record is not much over .500. His team last year was NIT bound until sports were shutdown and this year a first game exit to a 8 point underdog OSU that was a 12 seed.....There is a reason that Barnes nickname is 'Regular season Rick'. I have been told his new contract was more of Boyd's doing than Fulmer.

Barnes needs to rethink his offense....It's not the 80's-90's anymore where you play defense and win games 60-55. He needs to hit the portal for scoring help and a post player. He has too much non factors sitting on his bench.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 09:55:46 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 03:33:21 EDT »

I like Barnes, but he's way overpaid. He won't outcoach anyone in a game.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 06:32:55 EDT »

I think maybe his biggest flaw is his stubbornness. He just doesn’t seem to adjust when things aren’t working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: