VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 01:19:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Really not feeling optimistic about Shannon  (Read 8156 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2012, 03:13:15 EST »

The feeling I'm getting from other boards is that things have broken down.  I just don't think Dooley wants Shannon. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 03:44:54 EST »

Sal Sunseri is a name I'm seeing now... And since he's coaching tonight maybe that's what they're waiting on.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:08:25 EST »

Sal Sunseri has a son named Vinnie. It's a sign.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:12:18 EST »

Lol.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:42:36 EST »

Best thing I have read against Shannon is we don't want him because of the Miami NCAA stuff that hasn't come down yet. When you think about it would hard for anyone to hire him with that cloud hanging around.
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 04:51:36 EST »

Who is Sal Sunseri?
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 04:57:27 EST »

Who is Sal Sunseri?

OLB Coach for Bama
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 05:13:10 EST »

Best thing I have read against Shannon is we don't want him because of the Miami NCAA stuff that hasn't come down yet. When you think about it would hard for anyone to hire him with that cloud hanging around.

If "we don't want him" because of his ties to the NCAA sanctions at Miami, why would this have gotten to the negotiation process? (If UT hasn't been involved in serious talks with Shannon, there has been a huge amount of stuff put out there by both sides that isn't true...I don't believe it's just smoke.) If Shannon doesn't wind up at UT, I don't believe it's going to be because of the violations at Miami. It's going to be because UT couldn't close with terms to suit him, for whatever reason. UNLESS it's possible that someone from the NCAA leaked word that Shannon will wind up with a show cause penalty because of the Miami mess, but there's nothing to indicate that will happen.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 05:42:12 EST »

If "we don't want him" because of his ties to the NCAA sanctions at Miami, why would this have gotten to the negotiation process? (If UT hasn't been involved in serious talks with Shannon, there has been a huge amount of stuff put out there by both sides that isn't true...I don't believe it's just smoke.) If Shannon doesn't wind up at UT, I don't believe it's going to be because of the violations at Miami. It's going to be because UT couldn't close with terms to suit him, for whatever reason. UNLESS it's possible that someone from the NCAA leaked word that Shannon will wind up with a show cause penalty because of the Miami mess, but there's nothing to indicate that will happen.

To be fair, I'm not sure there has been a huge amount of stuff put out there by both sides. I think that one fan website ran with something they heard from a source and that's where most of the information and supposition has been coming from. None of the "legit" media that covers UT has ever had any concrete information that negotiations were happening, which leads me to believe that neither side was putting out any info.

I think he was a name in the process but that the reports were overblown.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 05:51:11 EST »

To be fair, I'm not sure there has been a huge amount of stuff put out there by both sides. I think that one fan website ran with something they heard from a source and that's where most of the information and supposition has been coming from. None of the "legit" media that covers UT has ever had any concrete information that negotiations were happening, which leads me to believe that neither side was putting out any info.

I think he was a name in the process but that the reports were overblown.

The reports may have been, likely were, overblown, but there were sports reporters with direct ties ("supposed" direct ties might be a better way to put it) to both sides reporting that there were contract negotiations going on.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 05:55:16 EST »

The reports may have been, likely were, overblown, but there were sports reporters with direct ties ("supposed" direct ties might be a better way to put it) to both sides reporting that there were contract negotiations going on.

Definitely more smoke than usual for something that appears to have disappeared at this point.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 06:35:55 EST »

Wow...

TonyBasilio Tony Basilio
Uh Oh. RT @ DavidSmoak Sources tell me Baylor DC Phil Bennett has turned down a lucrative package from UT and will remain at Baylor.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 06:43:27 EST »

Wow...

TonyBasilio Tony Basilio
Uh Oh. RT @ DavidSmoak Sources tell me Baylor DC Phil Bennett has turned down a lucrative package from UT and will remain at Baylor.

Let's just hope that means someone close to Bennett is letting it be known that Bennett is staying at Baylor because UT has its sights set on someone other than Bennett. 

(Which reminds me of a somewhat humorous incident: a couple of years, Larry Kerr resigned as head coach at Anderson County High. Our local high school coach, Davey Gillum, an Anderson County grad and all-around good guy) was frequently mentioned as one of the candidates for the job. The head coach at the other local high school, a former DC at Anderson County, was also mentioned as a lead candidate...and wound up taking the job. When Tony Lambert took the job at AC, a spokesperson for Gillum's school said that Lambert wasn't the top candidate for the ACHS job; Gillum was who they wanted, but he turned them down to stay with the local school. Easy to say, since the hire at Anderson County was a done deal, right? Except that two weeks later, Lambert backed out...and Gillum was named head coach at ACHS, leaving the school spokesperson with egg on their face.

Anyway, maybe something similar is the case with Bennett and we aren't going to start this process of being rejected by every freakin' coach in the country again. Although, until I bought into the Shannon/Steele hype, I believed it would be tough for UT to land a proven DC given the uncertainty surrounding our program. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 06:52:53 EST »

haven't a clue about any of that. I just thought it would be a plausible and sensible reason to not get him if indeed we don't. The last thing we need is to hire someone and then they get a show cause.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 08:22:23 EST »

FWIW, SL98 has removed their self-gratifying post about how they deserve all the credit for breaking the Shannon-to-Tennessee story. The original post from Jan. 2 is still there, however.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 08:26:18 EST »

FWIW, SL98 has removed their self-gratifying post about how they deserve all the credit for breaking the Shannon-to-Tennessee story. The original post from Jan. 2 is still there, however.

I take that site for what it is... a fan site with a few connected fans. However I will say that I truly believe that they got info that it was Shannon and didn't just make it all up. The problem was that they jumped on it too quickly, which now illustrates the other side of the debate we were talking about the other day... "legit" media vs. bloggers.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 09:36:01 EST »

Who is Coach Klein, HC at South Central Louisiana State?

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 09:41:09 EST »

Does his first name start with "M"?  If so, it lines up with another rumor I've seen.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 09:44:07 EST »

Wait....that's The Fonz!!!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 09:45:12 EST »

Idk his first name, just something I heard and I'm not in a position where I can research it further.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 09:51:18 EST »

M-M-M-Momma says that Mr. Coach Klein is the best f-f-football coach there is. Go M-M-M-Muddogs!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 10:11:51 EST »

LOL, I didn't even get it the joke.  Well that's embarrassing.  That's when you know you need to step away from the coaching search.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 10:21:04 EST »

LOL, I didn't even get it the joke.  Well that's embarrassing.  That's when you know you need to step away from the coaching search.

At this point, Henry Winkler may be the best candidate we can lure to Knoxville.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: