VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 08:07:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hubbs says Sunseri is newest DC target  (Read 8074 times)
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:15:38 EST »

If we are going to do that, we might as well just promote LT.
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:21:50 EST »

I agree. If I were Thompson I'd take it as a slap in the face.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:22:10 EST »

Exactly.  Isn't Sunseri an LB coach?  Everybody moves up at some point.  I really think Dooley will have to sink or swim with Thompson.  Why would anybody want to relocate their family for one year, potentially.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 07:34:07 EST »

I just want this circus to end.  Sheesh.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:40:51 EST »

I honestly don't see the big deal. If Dooley thinks Sunseri is a better DC candidate than Thompson, he should hire Sunseri. None of us know if Thompson would be better or worse. Both of them are good recruiters. Sunseri has a lot of experience as a coach.

I'm with Vinnie though... I just want to hire somebody.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:48:03 EST »

Nevermind about Steele:
Clemson beat writer for the Charleston Post & Courier:

"@travis_sawchik: Just spoke to Kevin Steele. He's in Ft. Lauderdale recruiting. He said there is no truth to the Tennessee rumors. He's still DC at Clemson"
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:49:03 EST »

Nevermind about Steele:
Clemson beat writer for the Charleston Post & Courier:

"@travis_sawchik: Just spoke to Kevin Steele. He's in Ft. Lauderdale recruiting. He said there is no truth to the Tennessee rumors. He's still DC at Clemson"

And Clemson fans collectively say: "Damn!"
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:54:24 EST »

Thompson may like doing what he does, but if I was him I'd be ticked.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 01:11:40 EST »

Has anyone ever heard if Lance wants to be DC? Maybe he is happy as a position coach. Maybe he does not want the responsibility of coordinator. Not all people are managers.

I have been an engineer over 38 years and have progressed to a lead position that is as far up the food chain as I want to go. I would turn down if asked to be and likely quit if made a department manager. Right now I manage between 2-5 people on projects, which is all I want.

If LT wants the be DC, fine let him tell Dooley. But do not assume you know what someone else wants. We could all be, and every likely are, wrong.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 02:37:14 EST »

And Clemson fans collectively say: "Damn!"

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 02:39:18 EST »

Has anyone ever heard if Lance wants to be DC? Maybe he is happy as a position coach. Maybe he does not want the responsibility of coordinator. Not all people are managers.

I see your point, but in coaching it's different I think.  It seems to me that most coaches want to be HC or at least a coordinator or they don't have an ego at all.  Coaching is very competitive by it's nature and it seems that it would not attract the personality type that wants to make a career of being a position coach.

Just MO....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 02:42:11 EST »

Dooley said in the presser that we needed to be patient, he was going to take his time and do it right.  It appears that this is exactly what's happening.

Auburn hiring Van Gorder so quickly makes you wonder if it's necessary to be quite this patient, but apparently Dooley wants to take his time and he is. 

Thus, I am not worried about it.  In a way, I could care less who it is.  Wake me up in August.   

The only concern I would have is if we go long enough without naming someone recruiting will almost certainy suffer.

And finally, I would be okay with Lance Thompson and I have felt that from the beginning, but if we can make a big splash with someone like Shannon, I say go for it.   No more "settling for coaches!"   

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 02:48:04 EST »

I honestly don't see the big deal. If Dooley thinks Sunseri is a better DC candidate than Thompson, he should hire Sunseri. None of us know if Thompson would be better or worse. Both of them are good recruiters. Sunseri has a lot of experience as a coach.

I'm with Vinnie though... I just want to hire somebody.

I think the deal is.................most are very unsure of Dooleys decision making with regards to possibly hiring a LB coach who is unproven to our DC.
WE need to hire a HOME RUN TYPE OF DC AT THIS POINT IN THE TN PROGRAM.....................anything less will prove to be a disaster for us.  We need results in a shorter time and do not have time for another 3-4 years for a green guy to get in his groove.

Go Big Orange.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 02:54:11 EST »

Dooley said in the presser that we needed to be patient, he was going to take his time and do it right.  It appears that this is exactly what's happening.

The Dooley press conference did nothing to reassure me personally.  We do not seem to be able to get a big name guy, or the guys we want and that  indicates a big problem for TN.........................it makes me way less confident in our HC and his ability......................(LAME DUCK????????) I  just don't have a good feeling at all about our program with Dooley.

Go Big Orange.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 02:58:54 EST »

The Dooley press conference did nothing to reassure me personally.  We do not seem to be able to get a big name guy, or the guys we want and that  indicates a big problem for TN.........................it makes me way less confident in our HC and his ability......................(LAME DUCK????????) I  just don't have a good feeling at all about our program with Dooley.

And that's ok. Guarantee a bad start next year will get us an interim by mid season.  Interim HC.  That wouldn't b so bad.  I still have faith, but we are better off personnel wise having had Dooley.  Can't b questioned. :)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 03:16:09 EST »

I'm not saying that his approach is the best, but he is doing what he said he would.

We won't really know if that is the right way to approach this until we have a DC and see how he does.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 03:45:16 EST »

I think the deal is.................most are very unsure of Dooleys decision making with regards to possibly hiring a LB coach who is unproven to our DC.
WE need to hire a HOME RUN TYPE OF DC AT THIS POINT IN THE TN PROGRAM.....................anything less will prove to be a disaster for us.  We need results in a shorter time and do not have time for another 3-4 years for a green guy to get in his groove.

How about stopping to read the point I'm refuting?? What I was saying is that I didn't see the big deal in passing over Thompson for Sunseri. Thompson isn't proven either.

Your reply implies that I don't think the DC hire is a big deal, which is not even close to accurate. I just think those who are suddenly sad for Lance Thompson are pissing at the wrong target.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 03:57:22 EST »

Sunseri will be in Knoxvegas tomorrow

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 04:07:43 EST »

I agree. If I were Thompson I'd take it as a slap in the face.

CLT has said that he does not want to be a coordinator

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 05:21:39 EST »

How about stopping to read the point I'm refuting?? What I was saying is that I didn't see the big deal in passing over Thompson for Sunseri. Thompson isn't proven either.

Your reply implies that I don't think the DC hire is a big deal, which is not even close to accurate. I just think those who are suddenly sad for Lance Thompson are pissing at the wrong target.

My reply was pointing out another side of the Dooley and his decision making, or lack of IMO, which is what most people I have talked with seem to feel, with no intended implacations about the specifics of your post.  I justed used it to bring up another point.    
I think we need to hire a HOME RUN DC...........................WHICH takes out Sunseri and Thompson.........but you are right, Thompson is unproven as well.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:25:11 EST by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 11:37:39 EST »

My reply was pointing out another side of the Dooley and his decision making, or lack of IMO, which is what most people I have talked with seem to feel, with no intended implacations about the specifics of your post.  I justed used it to bring up another point.    
I think we need to hire a HOME RUN DC...........................WHICH takes out Sunseri and Thompson.........but you are right, Thompson is unproven as well.

Define "HOME RUN"
Is it a "name" coach or one that is successful? 

To me, going after a name coach is the same as chasing stars in recruiting, a waste of time an usually not successful.  IF you say a successful coach, why then is Sunseri, who has been successful at every stage of his career then not acceptable?  If he has the right attribultes to work within our staff and system and bring the successful attributes that have brought him success previously there is no reason to believe that he would nit be successful here.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 03:45:45 EST »

Define "HOME RUN"
Is it a "name" coach or one that is successful? 

To me, going after a name coach is the same as chasing stars in recruiting, a waste of time an usually not successful.  IF you say a successful coach, why then is Sunseri, who has been successful at every stage of his career then not acceptable?  If he has the right attribultes to work within our staff and system and bring the successful attributes that have brought him success previously there is no reason to believe that he would nit be successful here.

Yes successful as a DC would make me feel better.................

Go Big Orange.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: