VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 01:31:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hendon Hooker is probably the consensus Heisman frontrunner right now…  (Read 300 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2022, 05:43:03 EDT »

…and deservedly so.

Yet in 4 of 6 games this year (including all 3 SEC games), he’s been out-passed by the opposing QB (by yardage).

That’s not exactly a good look for our secondary.

But it also demonstrates what a fantastic job our coaches have done scheming around such a glaring weakness.

With the back end of our D this bad, this doesn’t FEEL like a playoff team. And yet they’re looking like a pretty good bet to get there right now, even if they lose to UGA.

We may be witnessing one of the greatest coaching jobs of all time, and that’s not hyperbole.

Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 06:03:02 EDT »

It is nice to be on the side with a coaching staff that can coach / scheme without having to have superior talent at every position.  Hopefully that comes soon though. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 06:15:04 EDT »

1. Opposing teams passing yards...you have to remember that they HAVE to pass against us to keep up, so it inflates the stat.  I posted the stats last week, but here is the update including bammer.  We are 129th in passing yards allowed, but only 62nd in pass efficiency defense, which is a much truer measure.  So as bad as the optics are in our pass D, we are really average and not terrible.  I know a lot of fans have a hard time with that, but the numbers don't lie. 

2. As for the scheming, having read extensively on our D the last week leading up to the bammer game, it seems that Banks has decided to (a) stop the run and (b) stop the long pass.  We seem geared to keep everything in front of us, not allow much of a rush game, prevent the long pass and force short passes.  The great majority of completions by bammer were short yesterday.  It's not great, but it has repeatedly been "good enough" this season.

3. Don't underestimate Bryce. I counted at least 4 times yesterday that our DBs had textbook perfect coverage and he just somehow threw it into the window.  I just shook my head. He is the Heisman winner, he's going to put up some numbers.  (Texas did limit him more than us, but I think their pressure was more effective).

4.  This is unquestionably one of the greatest coaching jobs of all time.  Still a ways to go in the season, but to date it has to be on the short list for greatest of all time.

One thing I noticed about Heupel...when he was OC at Missouri in 2016-17, he took an offense that was 127th/128 in the country in 2015, improved them to 48th in 2016 and then 14th in 2017.  That was a remarkable turnaround also.  Not something I paid much attention to till now, but, offensively at least, we have one of the greatest minds in the game.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: