VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 01:46:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mock BCS  (Read 2625 times)
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2012, 03:41:09 EST »

Before this weekend's games, the BCS Selection Committee held a mock selection process. This article describes the complexities they encountered in trying to reach the 4 teams to be included in the playoffs. I know the BCS has warts, but for the most part it gets it right in selecting the 2 teams. Going forward, this is going to be a circus and it will not be long until we need an 8 team playoff, then 16, then ... until the regular season is, well lets say different than what I prefer. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/11/29/college-football-playoff-mock-selection-committee/index.html
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 03:54:51 EST »

I agree that the "selection committee" route is BS and never should have even been suggested, let alone be the way forward.

I really like the idea of a 4-team playoff, but IMO they should have left some type of automatic qualifying in place.

It would be a really complex set of rules, potentially, but what about a few rules for automatic qualifiers and then let the committee decide from a pool of candidates?

If they think there is screaming and whining over a 64-team field, wait till there are only 4 teams!  Circus doesn't begin to describe it....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:02:21 EST »

Missing the #65 ranked team in basketball and a possible $250K payout is nothing compared to not selecting the #5 ranked team and a possible $15M payout. That is why it will expand, never go away, or go down ... like taxes.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 04:02:26 EST »

Before this weekend's games, the BCS Selection Committee held a mock selection process. This article describes the complexities they encountered in trying to reach the 4 teams to be included in the playoffs. I know the BCS has warts, but for the most part it gets it right in selecting the 2 teams. Going forward, this is going to be a circus and it will not be long until we need an 8 team playoff, then 16, then ... until the regular season is, well lets say different than what I prefer. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/11/29/college-football-playoff-mock-selection-committee/index.html

I want a 16 team playoff like the FCS has

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:32:43 EST »

Missing the #65 ranked team in basketball and a possible $250K payout is nothing compared to not selecting the #5 ranked team and a possible $15M payout. That is why it will expand, never go away, or go down ... like taxes.

It may not be comparable but it is an excellent example of why a 4-team playoff won't solve anything, nor will an 8-team or 16-team playoff. Bandit is correct about the complaining that is going to accompany this process. Basketball had 64 teams and that wasn't enough. So then they expanded to 65 and that wasn't enough either. Now we're at 68 teams and there are still teams griping because they won't get in.

Take the griping over being the No. 69 team and not getting in and magnify it appropriately for the team that is No. 5 and realizes they're missing out on $15 million and a chance to play for the national championship. It will expand to eight teams, and then it will expand to 16 teams. And we'll really be no better off then than we are now...at the expense of making the regular season mean much less than it does now.

I'm not opposed to a 4-team playoff, but I also know it won't end there. And that's too bad. Currently we have 13 rounds of playoffs. And the formula used at the end is pretty darned accurate, despite all the griping and complaining. In 14 years there has been one, maybe two, seasons where someone had a legitimate gripe of being passed over for the national championship.

If we're going to try something different, let's go with Clay Travis' outline from last year. Four superconferences, 16 teams each. Force Notre Dame to join a conference. Everyone plays everyone within their division, then the conference championship games are the quarterfinals.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 09:25:14 EST »

If we're going to try something different, let's go with Clay Travis' outline from last year. Four superconferences, 16 teams each. Force Notre Dame to join a conference. Everyone plays everyone within their division, then the conference championship games are the quarterfinals.

That's a great idea, but I doubt the presidents will ever agree to limit the top division to 16 teams.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 09:40:50 EST »

That's a great idea, but I doubt the presidents will ever agree to limit the top division to 16 teams.   

Yeah, there's no way it's ever gonna happen. Still, it's just about the only "fair" way to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: