VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 10:37:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It was pretty scary around here yesterday  (Read 2398 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2019, 04:51:46 EST »

They're saying that the tornado that killed 23 (and counting) in Alabama crossed over into Georgia and passed about 1/2 mile NW of me. It looks like it was on the ground for up to 90 miles, creating a 3/4 mile wide path of destruction from Opelika, AL to Thomaston GA. Yikes.

The folks across the river in Lee County got it the worst. That area will take years to fully recover.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 04:56:50 EST »

They're saying that the tornado that killed 23 (and counting) in Alabama crossed over into Georgia and passed about 1/2 mile NW of me. It looks like it was on the ground for up to 90 miles, creating a 3/4 mile wide path of destruction from Opelika, AL to Thomaston GA. Yikes.

The folks across the river in Lee County got it the worst. That area will take years to fully recover.

We lived in an apartment complex off of exit 12 back in 2007, and just after we moved in, a tornado passed just south of us. That place must be a tornado magnet.

Glad to see that you're safe

11B4PJ3F7
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 05:09:32 EST »

We lived in an apartment complex off of exit 12 back in 2007, and just after we moved in, a tornado passed just south of us. That place must be a tornado magnet.

Glad to see that you're safe

That's my exit, but I'm a couple miles away from 185.

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 05:36:12 EST »

You are in tornado alley down there -- although most anywhere in GA is susceptible on any given day -- we've had them pass right over us here in the mtns, dropping debris from where they sat down previously.   Scary is the correct word -- and devastating in Lee County with so many deaths and injuries!   Prayers going out for everyone affected yesterday.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 06:14:50 EST »

We were getting snow here in West Tn yesterday afternoon with temps around 34 degrees....I was looking on the radar on my computer and it was showing tornado warnings all over south AL and Ga. from the same system that was coming through here. I checked the temps of some of the areas where there were tornado warnings and it was in the 70's.....a 40 degree difference of the temps here.

Thoughts and prayers to all the folks involved.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 06:45:35 EST »

I was looking at photos of the destruction this morning -- some of my favorite small Southern towns are down in south Alabama (yeah, I know, I know...but they're more Auburn fans than Alabama) -- and all I could think was, and to think there are fools who WISH for this sort of thing. You can go to any forum like this one that's dedicated to weather and see wailing and gnashing of teeth every time a setup for severe weather doesn't materialize. I'm a big time weather buff but seeing people cheerleading for death and destruction makes me nauseous.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 12:49:19 EST »

Glad you're safe BDV. That sounds terrifying.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: