VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 03:38:42 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting question from a VolQuest thread......  (Read 3663 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:32:24 EDT »

This got me thinking.  I've already somewhat "checked out" on this season, having skipped the second half of the UGA game altogether as an example (something I've maybe done 5 times in the past 20 years).  So I wondered how some of you felt about this.

Posted by dagley07:

"If the powers that be show no effort to improve the situation, is there a point where you just don’t care anymore? If the Vols go 6-6 and keep CBJ, do you start to just focus on other areas of your life and move away from Tennessee football all together?

If you were going to root for a different team, you would have made that change 5 years ago. So, can the administration push you to a point where Tennessee football is just not worth your time, money or effort, because it is clearly not going to change?"

For me, the answer is a resounding yes.  I'm becoming more and more disillusioned with each passing week.  I've suffered through the same decade of frustration as the rest of you, but I've always had the feeling that next year could be different.  If Jones remains the coach in 2018, I just don't think I could muster the same enthusiasm that I've carried for the past 10-15 years.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 03:55:57 EDT »

I could never adopt another team, but I prefer to watch a good game over some UT debacle.

And yeah, my Saturdays do not revolve around the Vols. I go hike or hunt, and watch whatever games are on when I return. This will mark the second consecutive year I haven't been to Neyland, after going at least once a year since the early 80s no matter where I lived. Hmm, it's possible I missed in '96 when I lived in Arkansas, and was a poor college student.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:18:34 EDT »

I've pretty much cut the cord on the NFL, with the exception of a Cowboys game if I am not doing anything else. 

I stopped watching the NBA after MJ retired. 

I still am an MBL fan, but I don't watch as much as I used to. 

Still a PGA sheep. 

I grew up a Vol fan, season ticket holder for 35 years, but these days I don't get to go often since I am working games until late on Friday nights.  And it's becoming increasingly more difficult to find people to give my tickets to, much less sell them and get my money back.  So, yes, I could survive without them.  Don't want to, but it's apparent that there are few left on the Hill in positions who can make a difference who actually care about excellence and winning, and if that is the attitude then it definitely affects my level of care. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 04:50:01 EDT »

I think I'm at that point already, unfortunately. My wife and I are growing a business to make the retirement from the Army transition a bit easier, and I just can't justify taking 3-4 hours out of a Saturday to do nothing but get irritated when I can use that time being productive.

11B4PJ3F7
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 05:16:00 EDT »

I used to agonize over a loss,  because I always expected to win.   Every game was exciting,  even when we were underdogs,  Travis Stephens or Casey Clausen or our defense could come up  a superhuman effort.   There is no worse feeling for a fan than going into a game with absolutely no hope.   We are now at that point,  and while apathy is not yet dominant,  I was not excited about bama, I had absolutely no hope,  and I have adjusted my "fandom" accordingly.   Thank you Derek Dooley and Butch Jones for lowering my expectations.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 05:17:41 EDT »

I'll put it this way.....I enjoy UTs open dates so I can enjoy good...well coached football games. I enjoy the 11am central UT games so I can get it over with early in the day and do something else or watch good...well coached games the rest of the day and night.

I told my wife Sat. night that I've never in my 63 years been this close to just not caring anymore about UT football and I really meant it. Even back in the Dooley years we at least scored points...we might get beat 42-33 but we scored points. Now we can't score and we can't stop anybody on defense. All around this is as bad as I've seen. And I've seen some bad football in my years.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:29:56 EDT »

I'll continue to go to the home games because it's something that Dad and I share together, but I can say I'm much more emotionally detached lately.  I don't agonize over losses like I used to.  I can't remember a time where I cared less about the outcome of a game than I was this past Saturday.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 06:34:59 EDT »

Any one that calls themselves a UT fan that actually believes Butch can get it done is not a fan, but a lemming being lead to the cliff to jump off. I have given up any hope that UT can win. I just hope UT does not get embarrassed. If Chancellor Davenport is really all in as a Tennessee fan, she must realize Butch cannot win at this level.  If you are worried about the money for a buy-out, ask your bean counters how much money you will lose if fans stop coming and the donations to rebuild dry up. Any hope Butch has a clue is a false hope.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 07:23:57 EDT »

The Vols will always be my team. I have been one of Butch's biggest detractors. The only way he will ever be successful is if he can out-talent the other team. Out coaching them is not a possibility. The previous two seasons were about as good as it gets with him. He had good talent and still could do no better than 8-4 or win the SECe when it was there for the taking. They should let him go now instead of after the season. Does no one any good to prolong it.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 08:22:03 EDT »

I'll continue to go to the home games because it's something that Dad and I share together, but I can say I'm much more emotionally detached lately.  I don't agonize over losses like I used to.  I can't remember a time where I cared less about the outcome of a game than I was this past Saturday.

Good for you! I'm a UT fan because my Dad made me one 63 years ago. He passed away August of 2015 and that first season after that was really tough on me with him not being here. For as long as you can share it with your Dad.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 09:47:51 EDT »

I agree about the bammer game.  I didn't even really have a sense of dread, just a numb expectation of a drubbing.  The shame of it is that if not for the stupid breakdown at Florida (second in a row down there) and the near miss  against muschump, I might think we could have a decent season.

But then...we got creamed by both uga and bammer and almost lost to Ga Tech and even UMass played us close.  There is really nothing to point to this season to give hope, unfortunately. 

It's really hard to muster any hope this season, but at least Gurantano seems to have some potential.  UK will be the first soft D he's faced...in spite of the way this season goes, I will be rooting hard this weekend for the Vols, because losing to UK is about as bad as it can get. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: