VTTW Board Index
May 21, 2024, 09:31:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I’m telling you, it’s going to happen.  (Read 5519 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 06:36:19 EDT »

Spoken like a true bammer.
That's the best you got? I'm just being truthful and honest. Why do you have so much Fulmer love? He started this shizzle by not doing his job when he was head coach.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 10:45:44 EDT »

Yeah, I agree that Duke will probably never fire Cut - he was an incredible hire for them. 

I have been working on Parker Solar Probe for the last 5-6 years - full time since 2015 when the MESSENGER program ended.  We launched last year in August and just completed our 3rd close approach ("Encounter") to the Sun.  Our first 3 encounters have been at 0.17 AU to the sun.  On Dec 26 we are going to do a Venus fly by maneuver that will reduce our orbit even further - down to 0.13 AU.  We will keep doing a Venus flyby for every 3 Solar Encounters and further reduce our perihelion as the mission progresses.  We plan on operating the mission through 2025, as long as the spacecraft holds up.  The Lab just won the huge Dragonfly mission to Titan, so everyone here is excited about that.  I would love to work a little on that mission, obviously.  We are also partnering with JPL on the Europa Clipper mission, but I am not involved in it, at this time.  What has been going on at Marshall?

Oh yeah, I recall now that you are working Solar Probe.  MFSC has been involved with Solar Probe in our space environments group, doing some testing and so forth. One of the folks involved in that is a big UT fan and friend of mine.

As for me, I have been doing a small project called Near Earth Asteroid Scout for almost 6 years now.  It's a solar sail mission that is a secondary on Artermis 1 (first flight of SLS).  We have just begun final spacecraft integration.  We have been delayed repeatedly by SLS launch slips, but have had our own hardware and software issues.  One thing is, NASA tends to put young inexperienced people in the project office for small projects so there was a learning curve for the PM and LSE, unfortunately.  We are on a good track now though.  Recently just within the last few months solar sails have had a good run.  We just won a Phase A project called Solar Cruiser to launch a large (1667 m^2) solar sail as a secondary tech demo on the IMAP mission, although there will be a down select in 9 months, so no guarantees it's "real" yet.  Also the Planetary Society launched LightSail-2 back in June, and we have a Space Act Agreement with them to analyze flight data so I've been doing some of that.  We just won Solar Cruiser in August, and we think that LightSail-2 launching when it did probably helped win the proposal.     Also Langley has a solar sail project called Advanced Composite Sail 3 or ACS-3 that they want to launch in 2021, and I just got back from a trip there a couple weeks ago to discuss MSFC participation in their project. 

Solar Probe is a pretty amazing mission, getting that close to the Sun. I am pretty familiar with it.  I sat in on Messenger reviews for the Venus and Earth gravity assists, as well as the first Mercury gravity assist, back in the day.  My MS from Purdue was on gravity assist trajectories, in fact, so I have been following Solar Probe.  Speaking of Messenger, the GNC lead for Mercury Messenger was someone I got to know fairly well, and he gave us some good advice on how to manage reaction wheel momentum for NEA Scout.  I didn't do a lot on Messenger, but did enjoy what I did.

Dragonfly is a really cool mission. They announced that when I was at GSFC for a symposium on cubesats hosted by GSFC Science Directorate, and the attendees from APL were pretty excited, and should be.  Hope you get a chance to work that one, it's pretty far out, would be something good to pick up after Solar Probe maybe.      

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2019, 11:03:04 EDT »

Oh yeah, I recall now that you are working Solar Probe.  MFSC has been involved with Solar Probe in our space environments group, doing some testing and so forth. One of the folks involved in that is a big UT fan and friend of mine.

As for me, I have been doing a small project called Near Earth Asteroid Scout for almost 6 years now.  It's a solar sail mission that is a secondary on Artermis 1 (first flight of SLS).  We have just begun final spacecraft integration.  We have been delayed repeatedly by SLS launch slips, but have had our own hardware and software issues.  One thing is, NASA tends to put young inexperienced people in the project office for small projects so there was a learning curve for the PM and LSE, unfortunately.  We are on a good track now though.  Recently just within the last few months solar sails have had a good run.  We just won a Phase A project called Solar Cruiser to launch a large (1667 m^2) solar sail as a secondary tech demo on the IMAP mission, although there will be a down select in 9 months, so no guarantees it's "real" yet.  Also the Planetary Society launched LightSail-2 back in June, and we have a Space Act Agreement with them to analyze flight data so I've been doing some of that.  We just won Solar Cruiser in August, and we think that LightSail-2 launching when it did probably helped win the proposal.     Also Langley has a solar sail project called Advanced Composite Sail 3 or ACS-3 that they want to launch in 2021, and I just got back from a trip there a couple weeks ago to discuss MSFC participation in their project. 

Solar Probe is a pretty amazing mission, getting that close to the Sun. I am pretty familiar with it.  I sat in on Messenger reviews for the Venus and Earth gravity assists, as well as the first Mercury gravity assist, back in the day.  My MS from Purdue was on gravity assist trajectories, in fact, so I have been following Solar Probe.  Speaking of Messenger, the GNC lead for Mercury Messenger was someone I got to know fairly well, and he gave us some good advice on how to manage reaction wheel momentum for NEA Scout.  I didn't do a lot on Messenger, but did enjoy what I did.

Dragonfly is a really cool mission. They announced that when I was at GSFC for a symposium on cubesats hosted by GSFC Science Directorate, and the attendees from APL were pretty excited, and should be.  Hope you get a chance to work that one, it's pretty far out, would be something good to pick up after Solar Probe maybe.      

That GNC lead you mention must have been Dan - I worked with him pretty closely on MSGR - we did some impromptu solar sailing on MSGR and Dan was the lead on that.  I had a hand in it as well.  Apparently MSGR was the first spacecraft to use solar sailing in an interplanetary fashion - Dan won an award for that.  I got to go to his award banquet - which was held at the Air & Space Museum after hours.  That was a great night.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2019, 11:14:28 EDT »

Jeesh!
Now we get to read all about the latest from our resident rocket scientists ... :

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2019, 04:08:01 EDT »

That GNC lead you mention must have been Dan - I worked with him pretty closely on MSGR - we did some impromptu solar sailing on MSGR and Dan was the lead on that.  I had a hand in it as well.  Apparently MSGR was the first spacecraft to use solar sailing in an interplanetary fashion - Dan won an award for that.  I got to go to his award banquet - which was held at the Air & Space Museum after hours.  That was a great night.

Yep, it was Dan.  Great guy.  Didn't know he got an award, that's awesome.     Well deserved. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: