VTTW Board Index
May 11, 2024, 07:08:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bobby Denton's almost delay of game  (Read 4078 times)
Creek Walker
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:41:37 EDT »

I love Bobby Denton and football Saturdays at Neyland Stadium won't be the same when he retires, IMO. But his mistakes are beginning to become more than just the ball placement or down-and-distance that we've all laughed at in the past. Did anyone catch him almost costing UT a timeout or causing a delay of game in the 4th quarter last night?

On one of the 4th down tries, Denton said after the 3rd down play that there was a timeout for the measurement. The referee never gave any indication that a measurement was needed. It was a simple spot, because the drive started at the 20. So if the ball is touching the 30 yard stripe, it's a first. If it isn't, it's not. There's never a measurement needed in that situation. The referee immediately signaled 4th down when the ball was placed. But there was confusion on the UT sideline after Denton's announcement. The UT waterboys even went onto the field. The play clock was ticking down. Once everything was sorted out, Worley got the snap with about 2 seconds left on the play clock.

I've always defended Denton in the past, but if mistakes like that are going to become more common with him, might it be time for him to consider hanging it up?
VOLveeta
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 10:48:10 EDT »

When he said "Tackle by Marion Walls"... in the first game, it was obvious to me that Bobby needs to hang it up.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:43:24 EDT »

That was not a good mistake, but I'm not ready for Bobby to go just yet.  Still just too much a part of Neyland's charm for me.

Btw, did you guys catch John Ward during the big money donor presentation thingie during one of the tv timeouts?  Someone may have already mentioned it, but hearing Ward's voice almost made me teary eyed.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:59:09 EDT »

I was on a HS football staff for many years......Our PA announcer had been doing the games for many, many years. The last few years he got really, really bad. No one in the school system had the heart to tell him to step down because it was a big part of his life.

I could write a book on some of his mistakes he made the last few years.....One of the best ones was we had just picked up a 1st down across the 50 to the 45 yard line and he said........"Viking 1st down on the 55 yard line." 5,000 fans lost it!!!
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:49:13 EDT »

I love Bobby Denton and football Saturdays at Neyland Stadium won't be the same when he retires, IMO. But his mistakes are beginning to become more than just the ball placement or down-and-distance that we've all laughed at in the past. Did anyone catch him almost costing UT a timeout or causing a delay of game in the 4th quarter last night?

On one of the 4th down tries, Denton said after the 3rd down play that there was a timeout for the measurement. The referee never gave any indication that a measurement was needed. It was a simple spot, because the drive started at the 20. So if the ball is touching the 30 yard stripe, it's a first. If it isn't, it's not. There's never a measurement needed in that situation. The referee immediately signaled 4th down when the ball was placed. But there was confusion on the UT sideline after Denton's announcement. The UT waterboys even went onto the field. The play clock was ticking down. Once everything was sorted out, Worley got the snap with about 2 seconds left on the play clock.

I've always defended Denton in the past, but if mistakes like that are going to become more common with him, might it be time for him to consider hanging it up?

Lots of more important things for me to worry about rather that the this.  We were all yelling for a measurement. 

Go Big Orange.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:27:20 EDT »

That was not a good mistake, but I'm not ready for Bobby to go just yet.  Still just too much a part of Neyland's charm for me.

Btw, did you guys catch John Ward during the big money donor presentation thingie during one of the tv timeouts?  Someone may have already mentioned it, but hearing Ward's voice almost made me teary eyed.

I won't miss Denton as much as I still miss John Ward, but it's going to be a not-too-distant second. He's as much a part of Neyland Stadium as checkerboard end zones and Gate 21. I hope he's able to do it until the day he dies. Key word being ABLE. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:51:42 EDT »

and PLEASE PAY NO MORE!!!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 11:52:05 EDT »

4th and the RIVER!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 02:37:13 EDT »

4th and the RIVER!

My favorite.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: