VTTW Board Index
May 11, 2024, 09:04:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all the .....  (Read 2583 times)
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:15:52 EDT »

Butch and Worley bashers I think you can STHU! The same goes for all those who did all the booing. Worley took a big step forward against UGA and Butch showed some fire, that something I've not seen a UT coach show in recent memory.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:04:14 EDT »

Butch and Worley bashers I think you can STHU! The same goes for all those who did all the booing. Worley took a big step forward against UGA and Butch showed some fire, that something I've not seen a UT coach show in recent memory.

Agree completely!  Never thought the critics of Worley were giving him time, thought starting Peterman against UF in the SWAMP for his first start was a mistake.

Go Worley, rub their noses in it. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:42:14 EDT »

I don't retract anything I've said as I think his stats bear criticism. He played well in the 2nd half but still was barely above 50% for the game, it was his best half of football no doubt and I respect him for giving his all but that one half of football doesn't make him a good QB. He may have a great rest of the year and if he does I'll be the first to say so but he hasn't played well consistently thus far. I think Butch is a real football coach and not just someone who coaches football (i.e. Dooley). I hope he's here for a good long time as I think he'll restore us to a competitive level. 
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:16:11 EDT »

Even the Worley we saw in the second half Saturday is not a QB who can win successfully in the SEC. Actually, I'll go a step further — the Worley of the second half Saturday isn't a QB who can lead UT to bowl eligibility this season.

HOWEVER, the Worley we saw in the second half Saturday was MUCH better than the Worley we had seen up until that point. I think he gained a lot of confidence on that touchdown drive that ended with the pass to North. What we can hope is that he is now emerging from his shell, similar to the way we saw Jon Crompton start emerging from his shell with a big win over UGA in '09. If that happens, we'll all be pleasantly surprised with how the rest of the season progresses, I believe. Big keys are going to be the run game. I don't think it was just by chance that Worley started to progress as his line started blocking better and providing some running room for Neal. When Tennessee began to move the ball on the ground, the receivers started to find themselves open a little more. Another aspect of it is coaching. As others have already pointed out, there seemed to be a turning point Saturday when Butch and Mike Bajakian began to gain confidence in Worley and open up the playbook. Letting him have the reins to throw a play-action pass on 4th down had to be a huge confidence booster for him. The 4th down play where Worley changed the play at the line was huge too because it showed his confidence in running the offense, even though Georgia got enough penetration on the play that it almost (and should have) ended in disaster.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:31:55 EDT »

Even the Worley we saw in the second half Saturday is not a QB who can win successfully in the SEC. Actually, I'll go a step further — the Worley of the second half Saturday isn't a QB who can lead UT to bowl eligibility this season.

HOWEVER, the Worley we saw in the second half Saturday was MUCH better than the Worley we had seen up until that point. I think he gained a lot of confidence on that touchdown drive that ended with the pass to North. What we can hope is that he is now emerging from his shell, similar to the way we saw Jon Crompton start emerging from his shell with a big win over UGA in '09. If that happens, we'll all be pleasantly surprised with how the rest of the season progresses, I believe. Big keys are going to be the run game. I don't think it was just by chance that Worley started to progress as his line started blocking better and providing some running room for Neal. When Tennessee began to move the ball on the ground, the receivers started to find themselves open a little more. Another aspect of it is coaching. As others have already pointed out, there seemed to be a turning point Saturday when Butch and Mike Bajakian began to gain confidence in Worley and open up the playbook. Letting him have the reins to throw a play-action pass on 4th down had to be a huge confidence booster for him. The 4th down play where Worley changed the play at the line was huge too because it showed his confidence in running the offense, even though Georgia got enough penetration on the play that it almost (and should have) ended in disaster.
A couple of points:
I noted earlier and agree that the running game, even the struggles we had i the first half helped open up the passing game.

The two good 2nd halfs that Worley has had against SEC defenses have been against depleted secondaries.  Against UF their top 3 corners were out by early in the 3rd qarter.  Against UGA their safeties were out (and were out in the first half).
The receivers had great difficulty getting open against the press coverage of the corners Saturday.  Against the zone they got open.  They are still a work in progress as well.

As you noted, I hope the success he had in the 2nd half carries forward but the reality is that in no game this year has he put a complete game togethere.
I guess I am hopeful but not confident.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:38:34 EDT »

huge in giving time for Worley and the receivers. I said early in the year I thought the OL needed to become better run blockers to make the defenses more honest, you MUST have balance against good competition or they'll eat you alive. The defense didn't seem to have so many plays where they took horrible angles and missed the tackle, maybe they are gaining experience and confidence that will show up in W's. I hope with a week off to rest and scheme we can have a good performance against SC and give Spurrier a big slice of humble pie!  
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:26:56 EDT »

Some have skills to offset their head/heart (Ainge, Bray).  Some have head/heart to offset their skills (Clausen).  Worley still has a lot of work to do to get into that latter category--BUT--he is at least moving in the right direction.  Couple of gutsy, Clausenesque throws second half Saturday.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: