VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 01:27:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From the O-State Illustrated Rivals site regarding Gundy:  (Read 1125 times)
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:56:24 EST »

Here is the best info I've been able to rundown this morning. I'll try to highlight areas where I'm pretty certain of solid information and where it's more rumor/innuendo (as there is a lot of that to be had at the moment).

It is looking apparent that a Tennessee contingent flew to Stillwater yesterday to meet with Gundy. They arrived around 10 AM and stayed for several hours. Whether it was a formal interview or an informal "get to know you" type of talk, I don't know. It was at his house.

I have heard - from a guy with connections, but it's still a couple of steps away from being a direct source - that Gundy is Tennessee's top target and the dollar figure would be in the 4-5 million/year range.

The word is that Arkansas is interviewing him today. That's rumor at this point, but I would say it will likely turn out to be correct. He's also supposedly their top target.

What does all of this mean? That's the $64 million dollar question. And I think if someone is telling you they know Gundy's motives for talking to other schools, or that he definitely will or will not leave, they're outright guessing. At this time I would speculate that only Mike, his wife, his agent and probably his dad really know what his thought process is.

Based on a personal conversation awhile back, I would be very surprised if Gundy were to take a job at an SEC school. I've been surprised in coaching carousel stuff plenty of times before, so I certainly won't say "never." Still, it would be a shocking surprise.

Who are some potential candidates if Gundy does leave his "New York Yankees job?" I think it is still too early for that. That said, some former and current coaches could be on the list if it comes to that. Larry Fedora would get a call gauging interest for sure. I think Todd Monken would get a look. Joe Wickline is another possible candidate on the current staff, but I still don't believe Joe has any desire to be a head coach. If he does, he'd get a look.

At this point I don't think there is much solid information available at this time, other than that UT met with Gundy yesterday. I do expect that more solid information is about to start flowing. Both UT and Arkansas are motivated to get a coach in place. Whatever the outcome, I don't expect this madness will last very long on the OSU side (unless of course he leaves, then OSU becomes the major player).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: