VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 10:31:02 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Strip is getting a major facelift  (Read 4883 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:09:52 EDT »

What do you think? I say about damn time

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/mar/13/redevelopment-shopping-center-sorority-project/

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:38:10 EDT »

My brother-in-law is a transportation engineer and is buddies with the Jeff Mize quoted in the article. I'm going to have to ask him about the traffic details, but it is sure as hell time somebody did something to improve the strip, both from a traffic perspective and regarding its aesthetics. That whole area is a mess.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:22:41 EDT »

Hopefully reducing it from 4 lanes to 3 will mean wider sidewalks.  The area needs to be a lot more pedestrian-friendly.  They should also consider a few more pedestrian overpasses at the major intersections.  That would help the flow of foot traffic AND car traffic.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:59:58 EDT »

Hopefully reducing it from 4 lanes to 3 will mean wider sidewalks.  The area needs to be a lot more pedestrian-friendly.  They should also consider a few more pedestrian overpasses at the major intersections.  That would help the flow of foot traffic AND car traffic.

The additional foot bridge at the hill has already made a huge difference. I think you're right that another bridge-- ideally in the commercial part of the strip-- could help foot traffic tremendously.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

gallavol
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:53:29 EDT »

They should make that place a restaurant row, with only restaurants, bars and live music at night. That ought to bring it back. This development makes it seem like a strip mall. Walmart? Publix? How unique.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:02:57 EDT »

They should make that place a restaurant row, with only restaurants, bars and live music at night. That ought to bring it back. This development makes it seem like a strip mall. Walmart? Publix? How unique.

From the way it sounds, the big boxes are going to be off the strip, over by the Ag Campus.  But maybe the entrance is on Cumberland(?).  I'd like to see some pics and/or maps of what the final proposal would look like, if anyone knows where to find them.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:29:51 EDT »

The additional foot bridge at the hill has already made a huge difference. I think you're right that another bridge-- ideally in the commercial part of the strip-- could help foot traffic tremendously.

I'd like to see at least two foot bridges added, if not three.  That would give students 4-5 crossing points from different areas on campus, and that should be plenty.  Then institute jaywalking laws for the entire strip, at least during peak traffic times.  If there are no pedestrians on the street, that (in addition to the new turn lane) should compensate for the loss of auto capacity when you eliminate a lane in each direction.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:53 EDT »

Making it a pedestrian-friendly boulevard would help all the way around.

Next up maybe Neyland will be closed from TBA to Calhoun's. Put grass in and make it a park. I have plenty of ideas no one cares about. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:28:33 EDT »

Wouldve loved this to have happened while I was at UT.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 12:00:18 EDT »

Making it a pedestrian-friendly boulevard would help all the way around.

Next up maybe Neyland will be closed from TBA to Calhoun's. Put grass in and make it a park. I have plenty of ideas no one cares about. 
It was VERY pedestrian friendly in 1974 ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:24:04 EDT »

Hard to believe that 2 lanes are better than 4 regardless, but I hope it turns out well.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 12:30:17 EDT »

It was VERY pedestrian friendly in 1974 ...

Yes, it was.

Wal-Mart & publix will be west of the rail overpass & south of the soccer field on the vacant concrete pad. The stores will be elevated and parking underneath on the concrete pad.

Sidewalks on the strip will be widened and businesses set back. Hence the McDonald's redesign. Foot bridges? Dunno, but a GREAT idea, BDV!

G
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: