VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 04:14:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Herb  (Read 3136 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2014, 04:30:15 EST »

Remind me again why it was he left Powell? I either don't know the story or forgot it.

https://twitter.com/ADClarkDuncan/status/530740731003285504/photo/1

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 04:38:00 EST »

Powell is very uncharacteristically bad this year. I was shocked at how bad they are but even more shocked when they came to Campbell County and saw how few players they had on the sideline. Whats going on over there? What are the chances they go after Matt Lowe to get him back? Powell is a gold mine in the right hands.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 05:00:14 EST »

CO, Clark left Powell after 16 years as the head football coach to go in to administration.  He became the assistant principal and athletic director at South Doyle in the fall of 2003.  At the time Knox County had an unwritten rule that administrators could not be head coaches, so Clark couldn't continue to coach.

A few years later, Jody Wright, who was and still is the basketball coach at Fulton, was offered a administrative position at the school, but was told he had to give up coaching to be an administrator.  The story goes that Jody didn't accept that because he couldn't find anywhere that it was an actual Knox County Schools policy.  As I understand it, he and an attorney had some off the record "discussions" about the unwritten policy, and he was allowed - as he should have been - to accept the assistant principal slot and continue to coach basketball, which he still does.  

That opened up the door for Clark to follow suit and become the football coach, in addition to his assistant principal/AD duties, as South-Doyle.  He has a very supportive principal in Tim Berry, who was all for making that happen.  

All the respect in the world for Clark.  My son played his first two years of high school football for Clark and still to this day has a huge amount of respect and loyalty to Coach Duncan.  Billy still remembers the life lessons Clark taught through football.  

SED, the Powell program is in a complete state of discombobulation right now.  Matt is not coming back.  He has a great situation at The King's Academy, and is very happy there.  The dominos really began to fall when Matt's successor, Derek Rang, was involved in a classroom incident that got blown way out of proportion and our not so beloved Superintendent let his contract expire.  I say it was blown out of proportion because Derek was not disciplined by the state, still has his teaching credentials, and is now teaching and is the head coach at Dresden High School in West Tennessee.   Then a change in administration was made at Powell that helped continue the falling line of dominos.  Tobi Kilgore, who was hired by the previous administration, left after one year to go to Karns where he is the football coach and an administrator, and they they made a huge mistake and hired a coach who was not a fit what so ever in this last guy, who was suspended mid season and is under investigation by Child and Family Services (or whatever that agency is called now) for putting his players in some situations injury wise that they never should have been put in.  His hire was simply a mistake in my opinion, and again in my opinion he wasn't properly vetted.  Too many red flags were there.  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:03:18 EST by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 05:40:24 EST »

That makes sense, and I'm not sure I ever heard the explanation. He's a hell of a football coach.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:42:46 EST »

Would love to get to Powell to coach. I interviewed there with the HC who took over just after Duncan left, its been so long I can't even remember his name, and he was going to hire me but he got out of education and into local politics.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 08:04:43 EST »

Would love to get to Powell to coach. I interviewed there with the HC who took over just after Duncan left, its been so long I can't even remember his name, and he was going to hire me but he got out of education and into local politics.

Larry Stephens I believe.

RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 04:11:21 EST »

If Derek Rang was still at Powell the Panthers would still be winning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: