VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 11:44:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please, Please, Please let this be true.....  (Read 7524 times)
10EC
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:46:07 EDT »

http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2012/7/15/3161491/report-phillips-visiting-tennessee

OK, we normally don't react to such day-to-day, menial recruiting activities as official visits or a player discussing his leaders or anything. But Sunday brought some important University of Tennessee recruiting news that could escalate relatively quickly.

According to a report on Volquest.com, Venice (Fla.) defensive lineman Dante Phillips is officially visiting the Tennessee as we speak. So, why is this important when prospects visit Tennessee -- and all other schools -- all the time?

Phillips is a member of the 2012 recruiting class, which enabled players to sign with teams all the way back in February. He is eligible to play immediately. Now, here it is July and Phillips is visiting Tennessee. Why is this? Especially considering Phillips -- a 6-foot-6, 270-pound lineman -- is such a prominent prospect.

Phillips originally committed and signed with Florida, after receiving offers from some of the top teams in the country. Everything was set for him to go to Gainesville, and the NCAA Clearinghouse had OK'd him and everything. Then, something funny happened on the way to the field -- he was denied admission by UF. All of a sudden, one of the top defensive linemen in the country is without a home, and many of the top teams in the country are without room.

Tennessee isn't one of those teams. We have space -- and a really big need. Now, the Vols will see if they can get him into school. If they can [remember, he's already been cleared by the NCAA], he may be a Vol soon. Phillips also likes the University of Miami and could visit other teams. But there at least seems to be a real chance Phillips, who really needs to find his new home in a hurry, could make a decision within a week. Wherever Phillips winds up, he'll be eligible to play immediately.

Phillips most likely projects as the perfect defensive end in a 3-4, and he is a disruptive force who can rush the passer and possesses the body to play inside if need be. Simply put, he'd be a MASSIVE late addition if UT can get him into school. It's time for athletic director Dave Hart to do some string-pulling and make this happen.

We'll keep you posted.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:32:54 EDT »

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:40:50 EDT »

It's not a matter of swaying him, apparently. If they can get him in, he will be a Vol. The question is why he was not admitted at UF. He'd be a huge get. He doesn't even have to sign a LOI, just enroll and he is eligible to play immediately.

10EC
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 02:55:40 EDT »

It's not a matter of swaying him, apparently. If they can get him in, he will be a Vol. The question is why he was not admitted at UF. He'd be a huge get. He doesn't even have to sign a LOI, just enroll and he is eligible to play immediately.

On the VS, Michi said that UF averages re-takes of classes where some schools use last grade and that might have done it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:10:24 EDT »

I hope he's not looking at bammer.  Even if they don't have room right now, Saban would "persuade" someone else to take a grayshirt or a medical hardship. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:52:10 EDT »

I hope he's not looking at bammer.  Even if they don't have room right now, Saban would "persuade" someone else to take a grayshirt or a medical hardship. 

bammer isn't an option. Miami might be, but it looks like if UT can get him in, it's done.

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 04:11:20 EDT »

Or get his daughter to make someone an offer they can't refuse. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 04:14:22 EDT »

Nice way to start the week.   
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 04:33:14 EDT »

I am curious though, as to why UF did not admit him at the last minute

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:57:57 EDT »

I am curious though, as to why UF did not admit him at the last minute

The rumor on the VS is that it's because he made a D and an F on his last grade report. The rumor I heard elsewhere is that UF thinks he cheated on two correspondence courses even though the clearinghouse didn't catch it.

Honestly, I don't really give a rip... if he's cleared by the clearinghouse and UT can't get in trouble by taking him, they should take him. We are not in a position to be choosy.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 09:48:51 EDT »

Someone just told me Phillips changed his twitter handle from gatorboi to KnoxvilleBound.  Could be significant,  could mean nothing.  Just fwiw.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 09:50:17 EDT »

The rumor on the VS is that it's because he made a D and an F on his last grade report. The rumor I heard elsewhere is that UF thinks he cheated on two correspondence courses even though the clearinghouse didn't catch it.

Honestly, I don't really give a rip... if he's cleared by the clearinghouse and UT can't get in trouble by taking him, they should take him. We are not in a position to be choosy.

This...we are not recruiting these guys to improve our academic rep, we are recruiting them to play football. If they are legally in, then let them play.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 10:02:52 EDT »

According to the Wake up Zone this AM Jimmy Cheek has said just because the clearinghouse says a player is ok doesn't mean UT will automatically accept him.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 10:03:05 EDT »

Someone just told me Phillips changed his twitter handle from gatorboi to KnoxvilleBound.  Could be significant,  could mean nothing.  Just fwiw.

He said that he hasn't made a final decision yet but was loving Knox.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 10:03:42 EDT »

According to the Wake up Zone this AM Jimmy Cheek has said just because the clearinghouse says a player is ok doesn't mean UT will automatically accept him.

Jimmy Cheek is a Gator plant who can GTFO.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 10:17:27 EDT »

Jimmy Cheek is a Gator plant who can GTFO.

At one of the games last year I sat down to cool off for a few minutes and listen to Bob & Tim at the KOCIS and they had Jimmy out there as a guest. I was hoping at least a few people would boo him but he actually got a modest reception. Ten years ago I would have stood up by my lonesome and booed him.

I absolutely detest the guy.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 10:46:37 EDT »

At one of the games last year I sat down to cool off for a few minutes and listen to Bob & Tim at the KOCIS and they had Jimmy out there as a guest. I was hoping at least a few people would boo him but he actually got a modest reception. Ten years ago I would have stood up by my lonesome and booed him.

I absolutely detest the guy.

He is a worthless human being.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 07:44:18 EDT »

This is great, hope he comes to Ktown.  Sounds like a perfect fit to our needs.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: