VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 03:31:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rumor is that UF is trying to get Idaho...  (Read 8734 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2014, 03:53:57 EDT »

...to take their payday and forfeit the game.  If I were Idaho's AD, I'd politely tell them to get bent.  Why would anyone forfeit to a team that recently lost to Georgia Southern?  Find a mutual bye week and play the game.  Maybe they hang 100 on us, but I'll take my chances on the field.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 04:11:18 EDT »

They both have an open date on October 25.  There's absolutely no reason not to play it then.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 04:29:16 EDT »

They both have an open date on October 25.  There's absolutely no reason not to play it then.   

Apparently they don't want to give up their bye before the UGA game, and they're trying strong arm the potatoes into just going away.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 04:30:28 EDT »

Florida needs to play if they had to refund 4-5 million in ticket sales. Florida needs the game a lot more than Idaho does.

If I was Idaho I'd tell Florida we'll come back but you'll pay all our travel expenses.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 04:49:40 EDT »

...to take their payday and forfeit the game.  If I were Idaho's AD, I'd politely tell them to get bent.  Why would anyone forfeit to a team that recently lost to Georgia Southern?  Find a mutual bye week and play the game.  Maybe they hang 100 on us, but I'll take my chances on the field.

lol... fizzle florida!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:57:52 EDT »

The funny thing here is that UF could easily just cancel the game entirely, pay Idaho what they were promised, and everyone walks away relatively happy.  But they want it counted as a win.  And the only reason I can think of as to WHY?  Because they think they may need it to reach 6 wins and be bowl-eligible.  How the mighty have fallen.  As recently as a couple years ago, could you have imagined the mighty crocs EVER being so desperate?

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 01:34:40 EDT »

Oh, it gets better:

http://collegespun.com/sec/florida-sec/will-muschamp-says-three-florida-football-players-have-served-their-suspensions-after-idaho-game
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 02:46:37 EDT »

Lol, nice.  Didn't Zook do something similar back in the day?

Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 02:59:49 EDT »

Lol, nice.  Didn't Zook do something similar back in the day?

There's a surprising number of Florida fans who feel that boneheaded move makes Muschamp look like a chump. Not surprisingly, those fans are being shouted down by the rest of the Gator Nation.

My bet is that Idaho forfeits. If Foley is going to strong-arm them with this $975,000 payday, they have to look at what's best for their program. There's a reason schools like Idaho schedule games against schools like Florida.

That doesn't mean the rest of us can't laugh our asses off at Florida for buying a win. I love the fact that a fan base that was thumbing their collective noses at the rest of the SEC just a couple of years ago is now watching their administration pay out nearly $1 million for a 'W' simply because there is no longer a guarantee that UF will be bowl eligible.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 03:16:14 EDT »

There's a surprising number of Florida fans who feel that boneheaded move makes Muschamp look like a chump. Not surprisingly, those fans are being shouted down by the rest of the Gator Nation.

My bet is that Idaho forfeits. If Foley is going to strong-arm them with this $975,000 payday, they have to look at what's best for their program. There's a reason schools like Idaho schedule games against schools like Florida.

That doesn't mean the rest of us can't laugh our asses off at Florida for buying a win. I love the fact that a fan base that was thumbing their collective noses at the rest of the SEC just a couple of years ago is now watching their administration pay out nearly $1 million for a 'W' simply because there is no longer a guarantee that UF will be bowl eligible.

So they would get a "win" on the books for bowl-eligibility purposes, but they wouldn't have to take the SOS hit that comes with playing a team like Idaho (on the off chance their SOS even matters at the end of the season).  Win/win, if you're the crocs.  And it would cost them less than a million bucks.  What a deal.

There's a contract to play a game.  A game that UF apparently really, really wants to win, even if they don't want to actually play.  So believe it or not, Idaho actually has the power here.  If I were them, I could be persuaded to forfeit, but it would cost a hell of a lot more than 975K.  I'm thinking UF builds me a new practice facility.  I'd even do them a solid and call it the Foley Center.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 03:28:25 EDT »

If they forfeit and take the pay day then it hurts the integrity of the game IMO.

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 04:27:30 EDT »

If they forfeit and take the pay day then it hurts the integrity of the game IMO.

Absolutely.
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 06:01:09 EDT »

I am really shocked that this could happen.  Buying a win and then counting it as a suspension game served. If it does play out, I hope the media has a field day with this at Florida's expense. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 08:23:30 EDT »

My original thought on Saturday was, "Why wouldn't a school like UF have built-in contingencies for a situation like this?"  But I guess it's understandable.  After all, it's not like they're located in an area that EVER has to deal with severe weather.

Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 10:23:18 EDT »

This is a ridiculous notion, and I have a hard time believing anyone with half a brain would actually think such a thing was ever considered. UF is paying Idaho despite the cancellation. Why in the hell would Idaho agree to forfeit, no matter the price? And even if they did agree (which they wouldn't), why would the NCAA recognize or legitimize such a move? Preposterous.
Flea
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 10:40:16 EDT »

My original thought on Saturday was, "Why wouldn't a school like UF have built-in contingencies for a situation like this?"  But I guess it's understandable.  After all, it's not like they're located in an area that EVER has to deal with severe weather.

Contigencies to do what, exactly? You do realize in the more than 100 years of Florida football this had never happened before? I realize you don't like UF, but I really don't get what could have been done differently.
Creek Walker
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 02:25:13 EDT »

This is a ridiculous notion, and I have a hard time believing anyone with half a brain would actually think such a thing was ever considered. UF is paying Idaho despite the cancellation. Why in the hell would Idaho agree to forfeit, no matter the price? And even if they did agree (which they wouldn't), why would the NCAA recognize or legitimize such a move? Preposterous.

Ummm...

Game officials, athletic directors and the Southeastern Conference offered four possible outcomes:

The teams could resume the game at a later date. They could end the game with a determined final score. They could forfeit the game. Or they could declare a ''no contest.''

''Those are the things that are being discussed,'' Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said Monday.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/idaho-florida-still-working-suspended-183708679--ncaaf.html

Your own AD helped fuel that idea.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:10 EDT »

Florida is skeered of Idaho 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 04:03:07 EDT »

On a more serious note, Muschump should have allowed the suspensions to stand against Eastern Michigan.

Not doing so makes him look weak and desperate.  Is he really worried about Eastern Michigan?  LOL!  I bet he is!  Seriously.

Well maybe the OL has at least learned not to block itself.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 04:27:27 EDT »

On a more serious note, Muschump should have allowed the suspensions to stand against Eastern Michigan.

Not doing so makes him look weak and desperate.  Is he really worried about Eastern Michigan?  LOL!  I bet he is!  Seriously.

Well maybe the OL has at least learned not to block itself.   

Only one of the three is a starter. I don't think it is as much about him being worried as it is just a continuation of the poor internal discipline Meyer practiced at UF. Fulmer's lean years should've taught the SEC its lesson on what the inevitable final result is when you get lax with discipline...but obviously it hasn't.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 05:29:37 EDT »

It was considered, and reported. Now, I doubt Idaho considered it too long.

Your questions are valid, and is why the discussion is taking place.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 12:49:23 EDT »

I thought it sounded crazy, too, until I read the same info that Creek linked.  But there it is, in black and white, and your own AD acknowledged that it was one of the possibilities under discussion.  Was it seriously discussed?  We'll probably never know- but given that it took four days to reach a decision that otherwise could've been hashed out in about 15 minutes on Saturday night, I'm guessing there had to be some disagreement over something.  And it's a moot point now, but would the NCAA have recognized it?  I'm asking, I don't know.  Given that the possibility was put forth by the SEC itself, I'm thinking this must have come up somewhere before.  But even if the NCAA hadn't legitimized it, I don't think it would've been for their benefit anyway.  The bowls don't answer to the NCAA.  If UF says they went 6-6 at the end of the year, you think the Gator Bowl wouldn't be all over them, even IF one of those wins came with an *?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:59:45 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 01:11:50 EDT »

Contigencies to do what, exactly? You do realize in the more than 100 years of Florida football this had never happened before? I realize you don't like UF, but I really don't get what could have been done differently.

But that's not entirely true.  Just this millenium, I can think of two other instances of rescheduled UF home games just off the top of my head.  Heck, we were involved in one of them.  Maybe the circumstances weren't exactly the same, but the end result was.  

I don't claim to know everything that goes into building a college football schedule, but it just seems to me that a school located in a hurricane zone would have a "Plan B" in case of severe weather, especially since there is some significant overlap in hurricane season and football season.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:14:16 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 06:14:04 EDT »

It is about UF not wanting to give up the open date before uga...but good luck getting to six wins now. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: