VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 01:26:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TSSAA Playoffs  (Read 1886 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2021, 02:32:22 EST »

Maryville loses, but Powell advances to the title game. Thoughts on their chances next week?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 03:06:55 EST »

Maryville loses, but Powell advances to the title game. Thoughts on their chances next week?
Should be an interesting game
Both teams have high powered offenses and good defenses

Powell (ranked #2 5A team) has beaten the the #5 (Rhea County) and #1 (West) ranked teams convincingly the last 2 weeks

Page is the 3rd ranked team and just beat the #4 team (though with an 8-5 record)
Page's path the the championship has been easier (lower ranked & 1 team had a losing record)
Page has a mobile QB but IMO their receivers (for the most part) don't run good routes - they just flood a side of the field for the most part

Powell should be favored but it will be a close game.  I think both defenses are good enough to keep the scores in the 20s

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 05:01:04 EST »

All I know is... anyone goes against Alcoa better bring their lunch. Man those guys are always in the playoffs.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 05:13:26 EST »

Read today the Page QB is a Colorado state commit...IIRC Powell has one going to AM.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 06:54:34 EST »

Karns RB Bishop likely to Vols

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 08:42:03 EST »

Karns RB Bishop likely to Vols

Fo' real? I'd heard he was being slow played/overlooked. In fairness, I trust this stuff more than preceding ones on such matters. It's just that Randall Cobb, the Reynolds kid from Carter, and a few others made me gun shy.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 04:39:29 EST »

I live in Spring Hill and have followed the Wade twins since they were in 6th grade.  They are incredibly gifted athletes and have made every coach they play for look better than they are. I don't know if the supporting cast is good enough to beat Oakland but driving over to Chattanooga to find out.   
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 04:43:18 EST »

All I know is... anyone goes against Alcoa better bring their lunch. Man those guys are always in the playoffs.

I think they are playing for their 19th or 20th state title across A/AA/AAA.  I wonder if they will ever try their feet in 4A.  It’s their choice I guess as they are an A sized school.
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 04:54:10 EST »

I think they are playing for their 19th or 20th state title across A/AA/AAA.  I wonder if they will ever try their feet in 4A.  It’s their choice I guess as they are an A sized school.

Actually, Alcoa's enrollment is 655, which makes them a solid Class 3A school.

But, yes, if they had any intestinal fortitude they would move up to 4A.
10EC
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 08:04:22 EST »

Actually, Alcoa's enrollment is 655, which makes them a solid Class 3A school.

But, yes, if they had any intestinal fortitude they would move up to 4A.

I had no idea they had grown that much.  My class had 92.  I’m now curious where the growth came from as the area lost a LOT of jobs from Alcoa modernizing before it was sold.

I do think they would still be competitive in 4A.  I think they have only lost to Maryville for like the last 5 years or so.  Maybe another team in there I don’t remember.
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 09:43:29 EST »

I had no idea they had grown that much.  My class had 92.  I’m now curious where the growth came from as the area lost a LOT of jobs from Alcoa modernizing before it was sold.

I do think they would still be competitive in 4A.  I think they have only lost to Maryville for like the last 5 years or so.  Maybe another team in there I don’t remember.

I agree. They'd be in the championship game more often than not in 4A. And that's where they should be. Last year they mercy-ruled Milan in the championship game. The year before that they beat Pearl Cohn 27-0. Unless you're an Alcoa fan, those games aren't much fun for anyone.

Consider Alcoa's region schedule this year: 64-0 win, 56-7 win, 63-0 win, 63-8 win, and 52-0 win. That's just ridiculous. If they moved up, they'd be in a region with Anderson County, Fulton and South-Doyle. They'd still win it, of course, but at least the games would be more competitive. And they'd face teams like Elizabethton and Greeneville in the playoffs. Obviously TSSAA can't force them to move up, but I'm not sure what they're gaining by staying in 3A at this point. I'm not even faulting Alcoa. If you're close enough to drive to school there, and if you're good enough, why wouldn't you want to play for Gary Rankin? But considering the fact that so many of these kids who suit up for Alcoa aren't actually native to Alcoa, voluntarily moving up is the only fair thing to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: