VTTW Board Index
May 19, 2024, 03:57:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't buy that these injuries are random  (Read 8979 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:07:33 EDT »

and we're just unlucky. Last year we also had a ton of injuries. I don't have access to the data, but I bet if a random sample was pulled from all Div 1 schools, we'd be at the high end of the bell curve, assuming normal distribution

A study needs to be done on all the injuries we are getting - how many are happening in practice? Games? In what type of situation? Are we doing too much in the weight room? Not enough?

I don't have the answer, but if I am Butch, I look into it. Perhaps hire a consultant to do the study and give recommendations on how we can reduce it, based on the data presented. We need to be proactive - because it's highly unlikely that it's happening randomly and without a specific root cause.

SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:30:58 EDT »

Who else is hurt? Is it really inordinate, or disproportionate, or is it because the roster is still a little thin, and seems like a high number? Seems like an average year to me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 08:55:24 EDT »

When you have large and physically strong men colliding and fighting for leverage with each other at high rates of speed injuries are going to happen.  It's just the same as when vehicles collide.  When you have mass and speed meeting mass and speed something or somebody is going to give.  It's not rocket surgery. 

Football is not a contact sport.  It is a violent collision sport. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:13:19 EDT »

When you have large and physically strong men colliding and fighting for leverage with each other at high rates of speed injuries are going to happen.  It's just the same as when vehicles collide.  When you have mass and speed meeting mass and speed something or somebody is going to give.  It's not rocket surgery. 

Football is not a contact sport.  It is a violent collision sport. 

Yes of course - but I'm a data guy, and again I don't have the data, but it seems UT is getting more than usual - and it's not a one year event. It's every year. I've never seen so many WR injuries. If the data shows we're getting way more than norm, there's a cause beyond just men colliding...it's possible that they're doing some things to make injury more likely. I'd say it requires a look if the data backs it up.

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:17:33 EDT »

We're a young team.  To get a good assessment of new, untested talent, you have to let them play in game-like situations.  That means injuries.  It also means you have a reasonable expectation that the kids will perform under game situations.  With more experience, you can dial back the practice intensity and thereby the injuries.  So, you're right that it's not random, but it's a consequence of putting a lot of freshmen and sophomores on the field.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:41:17 EDT »

All I know is that Butch's weekly injury reports are about as meaningful as a Bernie Madoff prospectus.  I can't remember ever being surprised by players sitting out on gameday as often as we have this year.  I understand that some coaches are more secretive than others when it comes to this stuff, but damn...

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 11:16:29 EDT »

I agree with you but I bet if you ask a UGa fan they would say the same thing about their team. They have had a lot of injuries every year too. Can't keep a running back for a full season.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:10:56 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 12:16:02 EDT »

Sounds like a good topic for a statistics grad student.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 12:45:14 EDT »

Sounds like a good topic for a statistics grad student.

Or Butch could get his analytics department to figure it out
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 01:18:48 EDT »

I've never seen so many WR injuries. If the data shows we're getting way more than norm, there's a cause beyond just men colliding...it's possible that they're doing some things to make injury more likely.

Tell Cam to quit tackling them.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 02:38:26 EDT »

I agree with you but I bet if you ask a UGa fan they would say the same thing about their team. They have had a lot of injuries every year too. Can't keep a running back for a full season.

They have had RBs hurt during games. It's different than having 15 injured players before the season even starts.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 06:23:14 EDT »

They have had RBs hurt during games. It's different than having 15 injured players before the season even starts.

Maybe Butch is a lying little bitch. Who knows why people do what they do? Since when do you believe what you read on the internet?

volsboyinsodak
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 06:41:10 EDT »

Maybe Butch is a lying little bitch. Who knows why people do what they do? Since when do you believe what you read on the internet?

So they're not injured? You think Butch is intentionally not playing key contributors?

Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 06:47:34 EDT »

This thread just became better than a VolNation thread.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 07:12:45 EDT »

Well to be fair & to stir the stew too 😝 I don't think we had 15 injured players. I think our depth is still a little thin in a couple spots, and the injuries are magnified. The #s seems fairly typical to me. Maybe a few more, but idk. Do the numbers man! :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 08:04:34 EDT »

So they're not injured? You think Butch is intentionally not playing key contributors?

Well, he tried to redshirt Dobbs by saying he wasn't that good yet in practice. He had to play him due to injuries and we found out that Dobbs was better than Butch's evaluation.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 08:18:05 EDT »

Is college different from pro?  Do they have to reveal an injury report?

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 08:21:23 EDT »

Is college different from pro?  Do they have to reveal an injury report?

No, they do not.  Student/athletes have to consent for injury/illness information to be released due to federal privacy laws.  

In the NFL players sign away that right under employment contracts, which cover employment related injury reports.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 09:48:58 EDT »

NFL releases injury reports due to betting lines.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 02:41:23 EDT »

Well, he tried to redshirt Dobbs by saying he wasn't that good yet in practice. He had to play him due to injuries and we found out that Dobbs was better than Butch's evaluation.

You have to balance this against all the complaints about Dobbs inconsistency and on again off again accuracy.

Come on you have seen it yourself. I dont have trouble believing Butch had doubts about Dobbs.  

Whats funny is that often the same people that complain about Butchs decision to bench Dobbs are iften the ecact same people complaining the loudest about Dobbs.

Lol

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 04:22:15 EDT »

You have to balance this against all the complaints about Dobbs inconsistency and on again off again accuracy.

Come on you have seen it yourself. I dont have trouble believing Butch had doubts about Dobbs.  

Whats funny is that often the same people that complain about Butchs decision to bench Dobbs are iften the ecact same people complaining the loudest about Dobbs.

Lol
I can take that criticism. I just can't believe he thought Worley would give him a better shot at winning than Dobbs. Anytime, anywhere. I do understand he was trying to save his redshirt so he would be with us longer. I get that. No way was Worley better than Dobbs at any time. Even in the few games Dobbs played the year before. But that is history. I do have a lot of things I think Jones has done well. I think we expect him to just come in an be Saban. He came from the MAC. He is learning to coach in the SEC, just like his young players are learning to play in the SEC. I forget that at times. I think he will get the job done. How soon is the question? I just hope the fans(me) are patient enough. It is hard to be patient when McIlwain(sp) can come in and get UF back to relevancy in his first year. We were just laughing at UF and how bad their recruiting was going before this season. I guess coaching can make a difference. Does this not aggravate everyone here?

volsboyinsodak
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 11:21:22 EDT »

I can take that criticism. I just can't believe he thought Worley would give him a better shot at winning than Dobbs. Anytime, anywhere. I do understand he was trying to save his redshirt so he would be with us longer. I get that. No way was Worley better than Dobbs at any time. Even in the few games Dobbs played the year before. But that is history. I do have a lot of things I think Jones has done well. I think we expect him to just come in an be Saban. He came from the MAC. He is learning to coach in the SEC, just like his young players are learning to play in the SEC. I forget that at times. I think he will get the job done. How soon is the question? I just hope the fans(me) are patient enough. It is hard to be patient when McIlwain(sp) can come in and get UF back to relevancy in his first year. We were just laughing at UF and how bad their recruiting was going before this season. I guess coaching can make a difference. Does this not aggravate everyone here?

I'll venture to say that Worley was better than Dobbs in a green no-contact jersey.  On those rare occasions when he had time to throw, Worley was pretty good.  The game situation changes things considerably, particularly with a poor offensive line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: