VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 08:12:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone watch/hear the press conference?  (Read 6033 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2015, 02:53:49 EST »

i'm reading on another site that Brent Hubbs asked Butch what SC did to put a stop to our run game, and that Butvh went off on a rant about the negativity from the media. Anyone see it?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 03:01:25 EST »

I wouldn't really call it a "rant".  Butch just doesn't do rants.  But I guess you could say he deviated slightly from his regular coachspeak.

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2015/11/07/video-jones-addresses-media-goes-on-mini-rant-on-positivity/

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 03:09:24 EST »

Cannot get the video to load, but glad to hear that it wasn't as bad as it was made to sound. Thanks.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 04:33:23 EST »

Didn't we have only something like 20 yards rushing the 2nd half?
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 04:41:26 EST »

Just read a copy of how Butch responded. If it was accurate, Butch was in no way out of line in any way.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 02:23:09 EST »

Butch takes every question personally and in a defensive manner.  He really needs to learn how to get past that and realize that if he is going to reap the rewards of being the coach at UT he is also going to have to live up to the expectations that come with being the UT coach, and part of that is answering questions from the media, whether he likes being asked a particular question or not.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 02:33:52 EST »

Butch takes every question personally and in a defensive manner.  He really needs to learn how to get past that and realize that if he is going to reap the rewards of being the coach at UT he is also going to have to live up to the expectations that come with being the UT coach, and part of that is answering questions from the media, whether he likes being asked a particular question or not.  

Having watched the press conference I believe it was a planned "outburst"  It wasn't "edgy" at all.  Just Butch using the stage to get a point across.
Much ado about nothing IMO.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 02:39:43 EST »

Having watched the press conference I believe it was a planned "outburst"  It wasn't "edgy" at all.  Just Butch using the stage to get a point across.
Much ado about nothing IMO.

And we will probably disagree on this one, but that's not the place for a "planned outburst", in my opinion.  A post game press conference is to answer questions asked about the game, and not to lecture the media on how they should conduct their business.  

The Monday presser might have been the more appropriate opportunity to offer a "statement" which is what the outburst was.  

And an edit:  I actually talked last night to a couple of my media friends who were there.  Both told me that it was really a weird situation and one that wasn't prompted by any question that was asked.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:51:24 EST by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 03:49:45 EST »

I said it when Dooley was the coach, and I'll say it again now: Butch won't do himself any favors by sniping at the media. Those guys on the UT beat help influence fan opinion as much as anyone, even without necessarily trying to. When you're Nick Saban and you have plenty of collateral, you can afford to take little stabs at the press here and there. But when you're still trying to build your resume, it helps to have those guys in your hip pocket.

What Butch doesn't seem to get is that it isn't reporters' jobs to be "positive." It's the reporters' jobs to inform. They're reporters, not cheerleaders. If Butch wants PR, that's the job of the journalists who are hired by the UTAD to contribute to UTSports.com, and they do a good job at that.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 03:57:46 EST »

I said it when Dooley was the coach, and I'll say it again now: Butch won't do himself any favors by sniping at the media. Those guys on the UT beat help influence fan opinion as much as anyone, even without necessarily trying to. When you're Nick Saban and you have plenty of collateral, you can afford to take little stabs at be a huge gigantic douchebag to the press here and there. But when you're still trying to build your resume, it helps to have those guys in your hip pocket.

What Butch doesn't seem to get is that it isn't reporters' jobs to be "positive." It's the reporters' jobs to inform. They're reporters, not cheerleaders. If Butch wants PR, that's the job of the journalists who are hired by the UTAD to contribute to UTSports.com, and they do a good job at that.

FIFY 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JDBVOL
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 04:38:16 EST »

I said it when Dooley was the coach, and I'll say it again now: Butch won't do himself any favors by sniping at the media. Those guys on the UT beat help influence fan opinion as much as anyone, even without necessarily trying to. When you're Nick Saban and you have plenty of collateral, you can afford to take little stabs at the press here and there. But when you're still trying to build your resume, it helps to have those guys in your hip pocket.

well you know it was staged, he actually said he has been waiting for     and stops to just rant a litte. but 100% agree answer the question and move on it is the post game.  actually did not see anything wrong with Brent's question or CBJ direct answer it was more in the" listen I aint going to apologize for winning" seems like nothing good comes out of that type of quote.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 01:27:32 EST »

Some of y'all don't like him, and that's your option, but John Adams has a good column inspired by Butch's post game presser Saturday.

Read it - if you dare - but he is spot on.   

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/columnists/john-adams-butch-jones-positive-request-worth-considering_62191271

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 02:11:43 EST »

Some of y'all don't like him, and that's your option, but John Adams has a good column inspired by Butch's post game presser Saturday.

Read it - if you dare - but he is spot on.   

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/columnists/john-adams-butch-jones-positive-request-worth-considering_62191271
First half spot on with my take.  2nd half essentially whining.
BTW, my issues with Adams have to do with him being an absolute ASS in my personal dealings with him.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 02:38:19 EST »

First half spot on with my take.  2nd half essentially whining.
BTW, my issues with Adams have to do with him being an absolute ASS in my personal dealings with him.

I've dealt with John a lot, myself, both professionally and personally.  He definitely has a different type of personality.  Takes a while to get to know where he is coming from.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 05:32:05 EST »

meh.  Adams is only stating obvious things that "most fans" say.  He borrowed a page from Slimebaum, apparently

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 06:16:48 EST »

they are just doing their job. Butch has a job to do. Doing what the press wants him to do all the time is not part of that job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: