VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 09:40:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We didn't handle the late game press very well, but got the win.  (Read 1698 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2017, 05:51:00 EST »

First off, Rick Barnes has forgotten more basketball than I probably ever knew.

That said, I didn't like our press break offense. We had three players at the free throw line or lower. That allows an extra defender in the trap area. The last press break, if you watch, that was fixed and we ran a much better press O.

Great win for this group on the road. Keep it going!!!
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 05:45:14 EST »

My guess is that will be corrected in practice.  The movement away from the ball in the half-court offense is outstanding, as is the defensive rotation.  I'm very impressed with what Barnes is doing with this team!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 05:54:59 EST »

My guess is that will be corrected in practice.  The movement away from the ball in the half-court offense is outstanding, as is the defensive rotation.  I'm very impressed with what Barnes is doing with this team!
I agree.  The mistakes are correctable.  Also, I think the experience will dictate some changes in alignment pre-inbounds.
I was more concerned with shot selection the last 5 minutes.  That too, is correctable.

The intentional throwing of the ball of the defender was a good move on two fronts.  It saved a TO/turnover and it resulted in a side in, which is easier to execute.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 09:27:31 EST »

I completely agree. Barnes has convinced me that he is an excellent X-O coach. I fully expect these areas to improve. In fact, as I pointed out above, he made in-game adjustments at the end that drastically improved the press O.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: