VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 07:33:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Florida comments from talk radio and other sources  (Read 5942 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2012, 05:53:21 EDT »

Yesterday I listened to some local talk radio here in Huntsville.  They had Cecil Hurt, the long-time sports editor of the Tuscaloosa News on.  They asked him what he thought of Florida.  He said that Florida was much better than he thought based on their game against ATM, and that they would have a great season and challenge for, if not win, the SEC East.  Which is exactly my opinion.

Later in the day it switched to ESPN Radio.  I don't know the hosts, I only listened a few minutes, but a caller or perhaps guest stated that Driskel had emerged as a new promising QB and might be considered one of the best in the SEC by the end of the season.  Which is another point I agree with.  He made some tough throws under pressure Saturday, unfortunately, that looked more like a veteran to me.

Also, Phil Steele said this in his preseason predict: "despite pulling LSU out of the West, the gators are my surprise team to get to the SEC Title Game.  They have one of my highest rated D's in the country and should be greatly improved on offense with more stability at quarterback."

Finally, both Herbstriet and Blackledge picked the gators on Saturday.   Though I am not a big fan of either, they do seem to know their football.  Herbstreit is by far the most accurate picker on ESPN Gameday, so it was a real downer for me when they picked the gators.

Okay, so here is my point. As the season wears on, the gators will in fact emerge as the main challenge to Georgia for the East, and may well win it if they can take the game in Jacksonville.  I expect them to go no worse than 9-3 and no lower than second in the East.   

Having said that, I will be VERY HAPPY to be wrong.  Hell, I WANTED Phil Steele, Herbstreit and Blackledge to be wrong, but they were not.  My take on the gators, was that they were, in spite of some attrition, still  more talented and deeper than us (though the gap has narrowed).   But I gave us a great chance because based on last season, it looked like Muschamp was in over his head.  I no longer think that.  But again, if I am wrong, and they collapse later in the season, I guess  I would actually prefer that, since we can't really get anywhere without beating them.  If Muschamp is competent and they compete for the East title every year for the next few, then we will just have to get that much better I guess.

Let me also make clear that this is in no way an apologia for our collapse Saturday.  That is squarely on the coaches and players.  I would say that, yes, I think Florida is better in talent, but the "better team" often loses and we were in fact in position to beat them.  There is no excuse for what happened.

But going forward, if we win the games we are supposed to, beat MSU and Missouri, and are competitive against and maybe even beat one of USC, uga, or bama, then the sting from this loss will be far less, and we will look much better if the gators are as good as I think they are.

That's a lot to say, and it's time to move on from this loss, but this game Saturday was arguably the biggest of Dooley's career at UT so far.  The rivalry that dominated our glory years, the frustration with the streak, the seeming weakness of Florida, the build-up...this was IT.  But none of that matters now that we lost.  What matters is what happens going forward.  That's in the players and coaches hands.  I for one have not given up on this season yet.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:56:30 EDT »

And just to make the point a bit more:

http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1410371

And again, I am not trying to excuse OUR performance.  On the contrary, if UF really is on the way back, we had a chance to grab that much more glory and blew it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:16:32 EDT »

That first post was the best I've ever read by you. I had no idea you could make  so much sense....

This vol team still has a chance to be good. Bray and the wideouts give you the opportunity to score on anyone and from any where on the field. The D is a work in progress with a unit trying to learn a complicated system which takes time. They should get better as the season rolls on. You have far better players on the defensive side than just two years ago...big difference.

BG
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:39:03 EDT »

That first post was the best I've ever read by you. I had no idea you could make  so much sense....

This vol team still has a chance to be good. Bray and the wideouts give you the opportunity to score on anyone and from any where on the field. The D is a work in progress with a unit trying to learn a complicated system which takes time. They should get better as the season rolls on. You have far better players on the defensive side than just two years ago...big difference.

BG

Thanks.  We still have a long way to go.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 03:36:15 EDT »

All I see is a bunch of explaining away a loss in a game that we clearly had control of.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 03:38:59 EDT »

All I see is a bunch of explaining away a loss in a game that we clearly had control of.

Yup.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 06:25:40 EDT »

Nope.  I said very clearly "this is in no way an apologia for our collapse " or did you miss that part? 

It's my sincere opinion is all.  Heck, after LSU stunk it up Saturday, I think UF might beat THEM.   

Since I dislike the gators, I will be happy to be wrong.

Just think if we do pull a major upset over bammer, uga or  USC, while UF wins the East.  It takes some of the sting off our loss.

But forget that.  I just really think UF was underated coming into this year.   Time will tell, but in the meantime, two words.

Charlie Weiss.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 08:18:40 EDT »

Nope.  I said very clearly "this is in no way an apologia for our collapse " or did you miss that part? 

It's my sincere opinion is all.  Heck, after LSU stunk it up Saturday, I think UF might beat THEM.   

Since I dislike the gators, I will be happy to be wrong.

Just think if we do pull a major upset over bammer, uga or  USC, while UF wins the East.  It takes some of the sting off our loss.

But forget that.  I just really think UF was underated coming into this year.   Time will tell, but in the meantime, two words.

Charlie Weiss.

There is a clear difference between rationalization and apology.

My opinion has nothing to do with UF. UF may go on to win the NC for all I know. What I do know is that we had the game in hand and it turned because our team and our coaching staff are mentally weak, and that mentally weak team is not going to beat anyone of note. If they do, I will be happy to eat crow... it won't be the first time.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:50:31 EDT »

There is a clear difference between rationalization and apology.

My opinion has nothing to do with UF. UF may go on to win the NC for all I know. What I do know is that we had the game in hand and it turned because our team and our coaching staff are mentally weak, and that mentally weak team is not going to beat anyone of note. If they do, I will be happy to eat crow... it won't be the first time.

I don't, and never have, disagreed that we had the game in hand and should have won, or at any rate it should have been a very near thing if we lost.

I also agree that mental lapses had something to do with it but I think we also still lack depth and fatigue played a role.

I think where we differ is that I say this team by and large had not been in this position before - leading a major opponent and in position to win since bammer in 2009, or perhaps LSU in Dooley's first year, and I can give them a mulligan this time, provided they learn from it and improve and do better next time.   And as bad as Akron is, I was encouraged that we at least finished strong.

But you're right - when they do it against a tough SEC opponent, then it will matter.

You never know, it just might happen.     Let's all hope it does.  These kids deserve it after the shizzle sandwich they have had to eat for the last 3-4 years.  I hope they realize this and get after it.

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 11:40:21 EDT »

At some point we have to have coaches and players that refuse to lose.....................................PLAYERS THAT ARE MENTALLY TOUGH AND CHASE PLAYS UNTIL THEY DON'T HAVE THE ENERGY TO TAKE ANOTHER STEP......................................A PRIDE THING..................WHICH WE AIN'T GOT.

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 12:05:48 EDT »

At some point we have to have coaches and players that refuse to lose.....................................PLAYERS THAT ARE MENTALLY TOUGH AND CHASE PLAYS UNTIL THEY DON'T HAVE THE ENERGY TO TAKE ANOTHER STEP......................................A PRIDE THING..................WHICH WE AIN'T GOT.

I don't disagree with any of this, but  this team can still develop the pride and toughness.  Or I would say, continue to develop or better finish developing....

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 12:09:39 EDT »

I just can't believe they don't have it as alot of JUNIOR PLAYERS is all

Go Big Orange.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: