VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 01:29:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next Year's Schedule (per Hyams)  (Read 12892 times)
eVOLved
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:38:26 EST »

Provided Missouri joins SEC in 2012, UT schedule looks like...  NC State (Atlanta), Ga St, Fla, Akron, Ga, open, Miss St, Ala, SC, Troy, Mo, Vandy, Kentucky

The home games: Ga State, Florida, Akron, Georgia, Alabama, Troy, Missouri, Kentucky
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:40:15 EST »

I will go to none except Vandy.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:40:19 EST »

Provided Missouri joins SEC in 2012, UT schedule looks like...  NC State (Atlanta), Ga St, Fla, Akron, Ga, open, Miss St, Ala, SC, Troy, Mo, Vandy, Kentucky

The home games: Ga State, Florida, Akron, Georgia, Alabama, Troy, Missouri, Kentucky

and I think Dooley needs to win 6 out of those 7 home games, and also beat NC state and another SEC team on the road.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 08:11:04 EST »

YES!  We get MSU in place of Arkansas.  While I found the Arkansas fans patronizing as we got whupped by them, and wanted a shot at them next year, after this year's meat grinder I think a little break in scheduling is in fact a good thing.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:05 EST »

Shouldn't UGA be on the road considering they played where this year?

GO VOLS!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:23:21 EST »

YES!  We get MSU in place of Arkansas.  While I found the Arkansas fans patronizing as we got whupped by them, and wanted a shot at them next year, after this year's meat grinder I think a little break in scheduling is in fact a good thing.   

We already had MSU on the schedule. What we get is Mizzou instead of Arkansas.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:25:35 EST »

GO VOLS!

Yep, UGA is on the road. We don't have 8 home games.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:25:37 EST »

GO VOLS!

Yeah, seems like MSU would be a home game.  But if they had to do that to adjust to the new teams coming in, so much the better.

Except that if it's true, it will mean every other year, we get uga, bammer and uf on the road.  Oh well, I guess we have to wait and see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 08:26:24 EST »

Yeah, seems like MSU would be a home game.  But if they had to do that to adjust to the new teams coming in, so much the better.

Except that if it's true, it will mean every other year, we get uga, bammer and uf on the road.  Oh well, I guess we have to wait and see.

MSU would be on the road because Bama is at home, and they're not going to give us both west games at home. 4 home 4 away.

TallVol
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:26:19 EST »

I see the possibility of 8 wins with that schedule.  I also see the possibility of 5.  This team needs to grow up and fast this offseason. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:47:50 EST »

We already had MSU on the schedule. What we get is Mizzou instead of Arkansas.

Ya I know.  What I was saying is, I am happy they replaced Arkansas instead of MSU.  They could have done either.  Arkansas made more sense logically, since we already played the first half of the series.

Normally I would not give a rat's ass, but we played a tough schedule this year.  Let's go ahead and get a break next.  Why not?

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 05:41:26 EST »

Ya I know.  What I was saying is, I am happy they replaced Arkansas instead of MSU.  They could have done either.  Arkansas made more sense logically, since we already played the first half of the series.

Normally I would not give a rat's ass, but we played a tough schedule this year.  Let's go ahead and get a break next.  Why not?

Heck yeah.  Just look at UGA this year.  They drew probably the easiest SEC schedule since divisional play began, and it got them all the way to the SECC.  I'll take that.

Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:14:14 EST »

I know there are peaks and valleys with any program, but back in the day, when we were competing for SEC and Nat'l championships, when we were disappointed if we had to settle for the Citrus Bowl, when we looked at the upcoming schedule and felt we had a chance to win them all (no matter who was on it), I never thought I'd see our fans rejoicing because they no longer have to face a probable loss to Arkansas. Now that we have regressed to such a state, I hope we do not get too excited about the possibility of rising to mediocrity, or the possible illusion of improvement that can come with an easier schedule.

GO VOLS!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:20:59 EST by Mean Old Man » Logged
Quasi EVol
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 01:46:48 EST »

I know there are peaks and valleys with any program, but back in the day, when we were competing for SEC and Nat'l championships, when we were disappointed if we had to settle for the Citrus Bowl, when we looked at the upcoming schedule and felt we had a chance to win them all (no matter who was on it), I never thought I'd see our fans rejoicing because they no longer have to face a probable loss to Arkansas. Now that we have regressed to such a state, I hope we do not get too excited about the possibility of rising to mediocrity, or the possible illusion of improvement that can come with an easier schedule.

GO VOLS!

Part of UT's faceplant of a season was having a #1 SOS on top of everything else that was going on.  UT won't do a whole hell of a lot better next year if the SOS is the same as this year.  Count the number of seniors on UT starting squad next year and tell me how putting that team's feet to the fire again this year would be good for the program.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 04:07:18 EST »

GO VOLS!

I understand what you're saying.  I didn't like dodging UNC this year.  OTOH, the SEC is brutal and we drew absolutely the worst schedule this year.  It goes around and comes around, and I don't mind catching a break.  And that's what it is.  A break.  Our school did not ask to drop Arkansas (not that I know of, lol), the league just scheduled it that way.

It's like this....five years ago, looking at this year's schedule, one might have thought Arkansas would be a pushover and bammer a reasonable game.  Not so!  And for all we know, MSU might be really tough next year and go 10-2.  You just never know.

In the meantime, it looks like a small break, and I will take it. 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 04:39:19 EST »

I understand what you're saying.  I didn't like dodging UNC this year.  OTOH, the SEC is brutal and we drew absolutely the worst schedule this year.  It goes around and comes around, and I don't mind catching a break.  And that's what it is.  A break.  Our school did not ask to drop Arkansas (not that I know of, lol), the league just scheduled it that way.

It's like this....five years ago, looking at this year's schedule, one might have thought Arkansas would be a pushover and bammer a reasonable game.  Not so!  And for all we know, MSU might be really tough next year and go 10-2.  You just never know.

In the meantime, it looks like a small break, and I will take it. 

Yep.  Trade our conference schedule this year for UGA's, and where are we right now?  Not SEC champs obviously, but we're definitely going bowling- perhaps even a NYD bowl.  As a fanbase, we'd be licking our chops for next season, rather than just viewing the next 12 months as a formality to get through before our next coaching search begins. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 04:43:32 EST »

I see the possibility of 8 wins with that schedule.  I also see the possibility of 5.  This team needs to grow up and fast this offseason. 

8 or 9 wins IF we get a running game and better placekicking/punting.

5 if the  run game is still putrid and the kicking game remains the clown show that it is.
Mean Old Man
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 05:56:49 EST »

Yep.  Trade our conference schedule this year for UGA's, and where are we right now?  Not SEC champs obviously, but we're definitely going bowling- perhaps even a NYD bowl.  As a fanbase, we'd be licking our chops for next season, rather than just viewing the next 12 months as a formality to get through before our next coaching search begins.  

We should have went bowling anyway...and whatever the schedule might have been, any team that plays poor enough to drop a game to this year's UK team is not going to a NYD bowl. And that's part of my point from my earlier post, the SOS is not the problem. Sure, the SOS can make a difference in the W-L record but we are viewing next year in the way that you suggest because, generally speaking, this team played poorly in both wins and losses. An easier schedule will not fix the real problems.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:05:47 EST by Mean Old Man » Logged
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 08:08:24 EST »

Yep.  Trade our conference schedule this year for UGA's, and where are we right now?  Not SEC champs obviously, but we're definitely going bowling- perhaps even a NYD bowl.

Let's see, UT vs UGA's 2011 schedule:

Boise - L
USCe - L
Coastal Carolina - W
Ole Miss - W
Miss St - W
UGA - L
Vandy- W
UF- L
NM St- W
AU - L
UK -L
GT - L

I wouldn't say "definitely." I still don't see UT getting to a bowl.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 08:11:11 EST »

Let's see, UT vs UGA's 2011 schedule:

Boise - L
USCe - L
Coastal Carolina - W
Ole Miss - W
Miss St - W
UGA - L
Vandy- W
UF- L
NM St- W
AU - L
UK -L
GT - L

I wouldn't say "definitely." I still don't see UT getting to a bowl.

He said "conference schedule". So you have to add two more wins to the total. That being said I don't think we beat AU either, and maybe not Mississippi State. That being said 6-6 is not a new year's day bowl.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 08:16:35 EST »

He said "conference schedule". So you have to add two more wins to the total. That being said I don't think we beat AU either, and maybe not Mississippi State. That being said 6-6 is not a new year's day bowl.

For one thing, 6-6 CAN mean a NYD bowl- just look at UF, who is probably going to the Gator (as we almost did last year at 6-6).

But that aside, I think we would've beaten at least OM and MSU.  And with more the to play for in the last game, I think the team would've actually shown up against UK. 

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 08:25:47 EST »

For one thing, 6-6 CAN mean a NYD bowl- just look at UF, who is probably going to the Gator (as we almost did last year at 6-6).

But that aside, I think we would've beaten at least OM and MSU.  And with more the to play for in the last game, I think the team would've actually shown up against UK. 

Yep, you are possibly right.

Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 09:06:00 EST »

He said "conference schedule".

Doh!  Yep, BDV is right, UT would likely at least go bowling this year with UGA conference sked.

But, I won't apologize for UGA's conference sked, because UGA never (nor any SEC team) gets any pity when the rotation provides a hard schedule.  It comes down to timing, when a team can take advantage of an easier schedule when the opportunity comes around.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 09:21:42 EST »

Doh!  Yep, BDV is right, UT would likely at least go bowling this year with UGA conference sked.

But, I won't apologize for UGA's conference sked, because UGA never (nor any SEC team) gets any pity when the rotation provides a hard schedule.  It comes down to timing, when a team can take advantage of an easier schedule when the opportunity comes around.

And no one's asking you to apologize.  You caught a break in scheduling this year, and took advantage of it.  Good on you.  We got the hardest schedule possible, and now Dooley's job is in jeopardy if he doesn't deliver next season.  Them's the breaks.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 10:28:18 EST »

I think I heard that there are no new years day bowls this yr?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: