VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 10:09:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, with all of the rumors that have been going around...  (Read 12992 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 12:46:53 EST »

That is not the quote I used and liked.  It was, "I have . . . back channeled no one."  Again, what you mention makes sense, but that would be back channeling.  Like ReVOLver, I guess that does not matter to many/most people.  As a double graduate and donor/booster, it matters to me.  I prefer that the people who work for my university using my money at least be honest.  I'll drop it now.  I will take him at his word, and I still think the rumors to date have been based on very little in the way of fact (if any fact at all) regardless of who ends up being the head coach (even Gruden, who I think will contact or be contacted by the UTAD).

I don't think there is any doubt that boosters have approached Gruden. The question is, whether Hart knows about it. I find it very questionable that he wouldn't.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 12:49:16 EST »

That is not the quote I used and liked.  It was, "I have . . . back channeled no one."  Again, what you mention makes sense, but that would be back channeling.  Like ReVOLver, I guess that does not matter to many/most people.  As a double graduate and donor/booster, it matters to me.  I prefer that the people who work for my university using my money at least be honest.  I'll drop it now.  I will take him at his word, and I still think the rumors to date have been based on very little in the way of fact (if any fact at all) regardless of who ends up being the head coach (even Gruden, who I think will contact or be contacted by the UTAD).

Well he said both...exact quote is "I have contacted no one, back channeled no one".   Contacting someone's agent and letting them know you might be interested is not back-channeling to me.  Back-channeling is contacting the coach himself indirectly.  But ICBW.  You're the attorney, not me.   

As I said, it really doesn't matter to me.

I agree 100% on the rumors.  Never gave them much credibility.

From what I have seen, I really like the way Hart has handled this entire situation, and I have confidence that he will get a good coach.  I guess we will see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 12:51:32 EST »

I don't think there is any doubt that boosters have approached Gruden. The question is, whether Hart knows about it. I find it very questionable that he wouldn't.

Perhaps.  Maybe he heard about it on internet message boards.    I just get the impression that he would take booster involvement and suggestions with a very "respectful" but dismissive smile.  He can please the big-time boosters, and continue getting thier money, not by doing their bidding but by hiring a successful head coach.  All that other stuff then falls into place. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 12:55:18 EST »

Perhaps.  Maybe he heard about it on internet message boards.    I just get the impression that he would take booster involvement and suggestions with a very "respectful" but dismissive smile.  He can please the big-time boosters, and continue getting thier money, not by doing their bidding but by hiring a successful head coach.  All that other stuff then falls into place. 

I think it's very possible that many rumors that we've read are true but that the boosters are the one trying to structure deals and Hart won't cowtow to boosters. HOWEVER, Hart is going to need a lot of booster money to make this hire. He now owes Dooley $5 million and he's going to have to overpay to get a great coach.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 01:00:43 EST »

Well he said both...exact quote is "I have contacted no one, back channeled no one".   Contacting someone's agent and letting them know you might be interested is not back-channeling to me.  Back-channeling is contacting the coach himself indirectly.  But ICBW.  You're the attorney, not me.    

Back channeling is any process other than direct contact in my mind, i.e., any unofficial, secret, or informal channel of communication, and I think that is exactly what he was trying to say he had not done.  If my assistant contacts your agent, not even you, to me that still constitutes back channeling.  It's irrelevant though.  I was using the language to see if people still believed the rumors. I guess some still do and believe that back channeling always occurs and is even necessary.  I don't.  So be it.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 01:03:54 EST »

I think it's very possible that many rumors that we've read are true but that the boosters are the one trying to structure deals and Hart won't cowtow to boosters. HOWEVER, Hart is going to need a lot of booster money to make this hire. He now owes Dooley $5 million and he's going to have to overpay to get a great coach.

The booster money will be there regardless IMO.  It always has been, since they support the university, and I do not think Hart's hire will change that.  Perhaps they'd donate more for someone they really want, but ultimately I don't think the money will be an issue.  They have a pretty well known revenue stream to work with.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 01:05:06 EST »

The booster money will be there regardless IMO.  It always has been, since they support the university, and I do not think Hart's hire will change that.  Perhaps they'd donate more for someone they really want, but ultimately I don't think the money will be an issue.  They have a pretty well known revenue stream to work with.

Well, they do have a stream, but one of the things that has been publicized is that the University's athletic reserve is depleted. So, they may have to solicit donations for the specific purpose of making a hire.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 01:11:55 EST »

Well, they do have a stream, but one of the things that has been publicized is that the University's athletic reserve is depleted. So, they may have to solicit donations for the specific purpose of making a hire.

Hart addressed part of that today also.  I guess direct soliciatation of donations, which is always done, will be part of the strategies.  I really don't think money will be an issue, either short term or long term.  I also do not think Hart/Cheek will over pay to get a great coach.  I think they will negotiate a legitimate market rate, and can pay that.

"We have invested heavily, the athletic department has invested heavily in the university and we should.  Now the Chancellor is committed to taking some of that investment of athletic generated revenues and investing some of it back in athletics to help us stabilize financially.  Because that is what we need short term.  When we get into the new television contracts, Chancellor Cheek thinks that those new revenues will come through athletics but that is a couple years down the road, and there are a lot of strategies in place that we have to implement to get where we want to go."
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 01:14:30 EST »

Hart addressed part of that today also.  I guess direct soliciatation of donations, which is always done, will be part of the strategies.  I really don't think money will be an issue, either short term or long term.  I also do not think Hart/Cheek will over pay to get a great coach.  I think they will negotiate a legitimate market rate, and can pay that.

"We have invested heavily, the athletic department has invested heavily in the university and we should.  Now the Chancellor is committed to taking some of that investment of athletic generated revenues and investing some of it back in athletics to help us stabilize financially.  Because that is what we need short term.  When we get into the new television contracts, Chancellor Cheek thinks that those new revenues will come through athletics but that is a couple years down the road, and there are a lot of strategies in place that we have to implement to get where we want to go."

Based on the state of the Tennessee job, I think to get the coach they want they will have to overpay a bit. Unfortunately, Tennessee is a bottom half of the SEC job and a still a rebuilding project. If they pay market value, they will get another Derek Dooley / Lane Kiffin type.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 01:18:57 EST »

Based on the state of the Tennessee job, I think to get the coach they want they will have to overpay a bit. Unfortunately, Tennessee is a bottom half of the SEC job and a still a rebuilding project. If they pay market value, they will get another Derek Dooley / Lane Kiffin type.

I meant market rate based on the specific candidate.  That will obviously be a different amount for each candidate and could be quite high for the right guy.  They did not have to get a Lane Kiffin or Derek Dooley the last two times, and I do not think it was a money issue.  It was a Hamilton issue.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 01:26:16 EST »

I meant market rate based on the specific candidate.  That will obviously be a different amount for each candidate and could be quite high for the right guy.  They did not have to get a Lane Kiffin or Derek Dooley the last two times, and I do not think it was a money issue.  It was a Hamilton issue.

Well... you are partly right. But the guy that Hamilton wanted both times, Will Muschamp, turned him down... both times. Had Hamilton been willing to overpay, he might've gotten his guy. But, they could've had Gary Patterson the first time for what they were offering, and probably Brian Kelly as well so that's why I say you were partly right.

My overriding point is that the Tennessee job is viewed as a middle of the road BCS job with expectations that may be out of bounds. Part of that is Hamilton's fault for sure.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 01:31:34 EST »

Well... you are partly right. But the guy that Hamilton wanted both times, Will Muschamp, turned him down... both times. Had Hamilton been willing to overpay, he might've gotten his guy. But, they could've had Gary Patterson the first time for what they were offering, and probably Brian Kelly as well so that's why I say you were partly right.

My overriding point is that the Tennessee job is viewed as a middle of the road BCS job with expectations that may be out of bounds. Part of that is Hamilton's fault for sure.

I think Hart can sell the job better than Hamilton could.  At least I got that impression from the press conference.  Hopefully that will hold true.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 01:46:39 EST »

I think Hart can sell the job better than Hamilton could.  At least I got that impression from the press conference.  Hopefully that will hold true.

Agreed.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: