VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 10:54:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh, boy. This really makes Butch look bad if true  (Read 12967 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2016, 12:15:44 EST »

He allegedly called Drae Bowles a "traitor" for aiding the alleged rape victim. 

Apology or no, this is not a good thing. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vols/2016/02/24/lawsuit-tennessee-coach-butch-jones-called-player-traitor/80851232/?hootPostID=381668f1a7d606f5e999db2639266426

Go Army - Beat Navy!
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 01:03:57 EST »

Bad doesn't scratch the surface!  If this is true, Butch Jones is not the man he has led us to believe he is, and deservedly should lose the respect of fans, and possibly lose far more.  Bunker mentality has been the downfall of Presidents and Kings. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 01:04:03 EST »

I can't see him saying that.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 01:21:09 EST »

I've felt for a while now that if Butch didn't find a way to control his emotions and his temper that it would cost him his job before all is said and done. 

Nothing I have heard recently changes that opinion. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 01:21:21 EST »

Not saying he did or didn't....but if he did I wouldn't be shocked in the least. I guess it will all come out sooner or later.

This whole situation isn't good....not good at all. I've talked to 2 highly ranked 2017 instate recruits parents and they are very concerned about all this mess. UT has a lot of damage control to try and correct.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:31:41 EST by Tnphil » Logged
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 01:22:52 EST »

It is just hard to know what to believe. I personally do not believe it. But pressure makes people do things they would not normally do.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 01:24:18 EST »

The hits just keep on coming. Still looking forward to this season. Hope that doesn't change.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 01:28:15 EST »

I will only say that there is a LOT of inaccurate information "socialized" with regards to Drae
I would also consider the source of this particular tidbit.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 03:34:05 EST »

True or not, this just got very, very ugly for Tennessee.

If it's true -- sadly, we'll probably never know -- I will have little to no respect for Butch.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 04:29:17 EST »

Like the Manning BS, all most people remember is the initial story.  If this is 100% false, if it proven that Bowles is grinding his axe, if his confrontation with Maggitt was over another matter entirely (as was rumored at the time), if Butch was 100% timely and diligent in all his actions and responses---those who follow the story to the truth stage will be a fraction of those who take the initial story as gospel.  Very, very ugly is an apt description.

True or not, this just got very, very ugly for Tennessee.

If it's true -- sadly, we'll probably never know -- I will have little to no respect for Butch.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 06:33:29 EST »

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/investigations/2016/02/27/former-tennessee-official-now-taking-beloved-university/80616272/

fizzle 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 01:35:13 EST »

One wonders how many of the "alleged" complaints about football players she referenced were hers

For not going to bed with her

Which is why she was fired
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:02:54 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 03:46:29 EST »

One wonders how many of the "alleged" complaints about football players she referenced were hers

For not going to bed with her

Which is why she was fired

The article says the investigation cleared her.  You can doubt that if you want, but what good would that do?

Add to that the fact that a 38-year tenured senior official also resigned and this looks really, really bad.

Just calling it like I see it.

It doesn't mean the football program will be shut down or we go on probation, but some folks might lose their job over this, and if they do they probably deserve it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 06:08:44 EST »

The article says the investigation cleared her.  You can doubt that if you want, but what good would that do?

Add to that the fact that a 38-year tenured senior official also resigned and this looks really, really bad.

Just calling it like I see it.

It doesn't mean the football program will be shut down or we go on probation, but some folks might lose their job over this, and if they do they probably deserve it.
According to her ...

A disgruntled former employee who was removed from her job ...

Reality is a bit different

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 08:50:12 EST »

According to her ...

A disgruntled former employee who was removed from her job ...

Reality is a bit different

"Removed"...she claims she quit.

But two things Pirate....seriously...a person in charge of student discipline tries to have sex with one of those students?  In what alternate reality is that even credible?  Doesn't pass the smell test.

But more to the point, her boss, who had been with UT for 38 years resigned and called the whole mess an "intolerable situation" in his resignation letter.  Without that, it might be possible to isolate her, but with it, this is a very difficult situation for UT.  Period, dot.

HTK has been hinting that some heads might need to roll for weeks, and now I might just understand why.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:54:36 EST by BanditVol » Logged

Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 03:40:48 EST »

I can't see him saying that.

If he did say that, he's not the man I thought he was.  We'll see how this unfolds.  I'm not taking this as gospel yet.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 09:54:09 EST »

"Removed"...she claims she quit.

But two things Pirate....seriously...a person in charge of student discipline tries to have sex with one of those students?  In what alternate reality is that even credible?  Doesn't pass the smell test.

But more to the point, her boss, who had been with UT for 38 years resigned and called the whole mess an "intolerable situation" in his resignation letter.  Without that, it might be possible to isolate her, but with it, this is a very difficult situation for UT.  Period, dot.

HTK has been hinting that some heads might need to roll for weeks, and now I might just understand why.

One lie exposed:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/13/tennessee-student-judicial-affairs-jenny-wright-fired/2156843/

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 02:58:08 EST »

What happened with that investigation?  Was any proof ever presented?  Did the University come out and say they caught her?  If so, please post.

If it can be proven beyond a doubt that she did something inappropriate as suggested, then she could easily be discredited.

Since the accusation was coming from an athlete being investigated, it may well have been  a lie,so  I personally am not going to touch anything like an accusation against her until I see evidence or it's stated unequivocally that it's true.

But how do you prove such a thing?  It's the word of a 20ish student that has motive against the person at the University responsible for enforcing student discipline.

If you are comfortable accepting such thing, then good on you.  I'm not.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 05:02:30 EST »

But how do you prove such a thing?  It's the word of a 20ish student that has motive against the person at the University responsible for enforcing student discipline.

If you are comfortable accepting such thing, then good on you.  I'm not.

I'm not either, and I've been worried about what was behind that whole affair since the story broke. There's undoubtedly more to it. I just hope it's not what Wright says it is.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 06:49:58 EST »

Well, I would think that a conversation with John Jancek would be clutch......

11B4PJ3F7
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 10:59:25 EST »

Well, I would think that a conversation with John Jancek would be clutch......

What incentive does Jancek have to talk?  He has his buyout and anything he says against UT could be a negative for him down the road when he looks for jobs.

If I were Jancek, or any other coach at UT, I wouldn't say a word right now. 

And I have heard the opinion of several attorneys familiar with title 9 lawsuits say that the last thing that UT wants is Butch Jones or any of the other coaches testifying under oath.  They say if that happens all bets are off.

And that makes a lot of sense to me. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 11:08:48 EST »

And another thing I picked up from John Pennington yesterday:

In his talks with Title 9 familiar attorneys, the way this case works is that not everything has to be proved for the plaintiffs to win the case, but only a "simple majority", which means that only 51% of the allegations have to be proved for UT to lose the case. 

That's another reason, in my opinion, to settle this and get it in the rear view mirror ASAP. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 12:26:12 EST »

I would say there's absolutely no chance that Tennessee DOESN'T settle. Is a settlement an admission of guilt in the eyes of the public? Sure. But it's going to receive a lot of bad press and then it's going to fade. Humans have short memories. Best to get it out of the way quickly so that everyone can start to move forward. Plus a settlement would likely include a nondisclosure agreement that would muzzle the plaintiffs, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Unfortunately, I don't see how this can move forward in any way -- including a settlement -- until the pending criminal trials are resolved, so this is going to carry over into football season for sure.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 01:15:57 EST »

What incentive does Jancek have to talk?   

I think that you're looking at Jancek differently than me. The offense was underwhelming, but I was surprised when he was fired, so I'm starting to wonder if he was the one that might have pressured (if it happened at all) to get Marlin Lane back on the field

11B4PJ3F7
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 01:36:35 EST »

And another thing I picked up from John Pennington yesterday:

In his talks with Title 9 familiar attorneys, the way this case works is that not everything has to be proved for the plaintiffs to win the case, but only a "simple majority", which means that only 51% of the allegations have to be proved for UT to lose the case. 

That's another reason, in my opinion, to settle this and get it in the rear view mirror ASAP. 

I doubt it takes proof of 51% "of the allegations."  The judicial standard (burden of proof) in most civil trials is "preponderance of the evidence."  In essence, that means enough evidence to convince the trier of fact (judge or jury) that more likely than not the facts the claimant seeks to prove are true.  For instance, one good witness may be believed over numerous less believable witnesses, so a judge/jury may rule based on that one witness's testimony that the case was proven by a preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not it happened as the witness testified).  Many people use the 51% comment, or the football analogy of "beyond the 50 yard line," to describe the standard, but I think that's too simplistic.  If there are 25 allegations and just one is clearly proved, that may lead the judge/jury to believe the others "more likely than not" also occurred.  It's the lowest possible burden of proof in the law, contrasted with the highest burden of beyond a reasonable doubt and the intermediary burden of clear and convincing evidence.  The low standard is one reason defendants are willing to settle rather than take the risk.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: