VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 06:24:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clay Travis' List of Top Coaches  (Read 11664 times)
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:07:27 EDT »

Timely, informative - even for Clay.  I hope we throw a boat load of money at a proven commodity istead of the bargain basement hope it works out approach.  Football isn't fun anymore they way we are doing it.  I live in Alabama and they don't even bother to give me crap about it anymore. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:34:08 EDT »

...they don't even bother to give me crap about it anymore. 

As if there was more reason to be depressed, this is it.  I remember a time not so long ago where Bama fans and UF fans would have a big time after beating TN, gloating and all.  Now, they don't even say a word.   
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:40:56 EDT »

I used to get up excited on a Saturday morning and plan the whole day around watching the Vols play.  We would dress up in Orange and go out and tick off the locals.  Now I'm apathetic and Saturday is just another day.  I have one team and one team only, and that's Tennessee, so I can't even enjoy watching a second favorite team play.  I have become one of the Legion of Miserables. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 11:45:32 EDT »

Timely, informative - even for Clay.  I hope we throw a boat load of money at a proven commodity istead of the bargain basement hope it works out approach.  Football isn't fun anymore they way we are doing it.  I live in Alabama and they don't even bother to give me crap about it anymore. 
Realistically only one of the top 5 would be interested in Tennessee (not the destroyer of TB Gurden either) and maybe 3-4 in the entire list.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 11:47:23 EDT »

Do you have a link?

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 11:50:46 EDT »

Sorry:

http://outkickthecoverage.com/the-top-16-coaching-candidates-in-college-football.php
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 12:08:23 EDT »

I don't think Peterson would leave Boise State and I think Paterson will stay at TCU. I don't trust NFL coaches (like Gruden) in College Football getting it done. My five candidates would be:1:Charlie Strong,2:Bob Petrino,3:Art Briles,4:Mike Riley or 5:Kirk Ferentz(Iowa,He does a lot will very limited talent)

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 12:10:55 EDT »

I'd move Pete Carroll to the top of the list.  He's actually done it before, twice and almost three times in a row, which has never been done.

Which is why I root against the Seahawks, each and ever game.   

But Clay doesn't mention, and I don't know, what the implications are of Carroll leaving USC under sanctions.  Will the NCAA do a show cause if someone else hires him?  I have no idea. 

But that would be the only negative.

The only coaches on that list that have even come close to an MNC are Peterson and perhaps Patterson.  If that's the criteria, then it's the criteria. Carroll clearly wins.

And imagine how sweet it would be for him to pummel USC and Kiffin should they ever meet. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:17:50 EDT »

I'd move Pete Carroll to the top of the list.  He's actually done it before, twice and almost three times in a row, which has never been done.

Which is why I root against the Seahawks, each and ever game.   

But Clay doesn't mention, and I don't know, what the implications are of Carroll leaving USC under sanctions.  Will the NCAA do a show cause if someone else hires him?  I have no idea. 

But that would be the only negative.

The only coaches on that list that have even come close to an MNC are Peterson and perhaps Patterson.  If that's the criteria, then it's the criteria. Carroll clearly wins.

And imagine how sweet it would be for him to pummel USC and Kiffin should they ever meet. 

Pete left Lane with a sizable pile of sh*t to deal with at USC

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 12:25:22 EDT »

Other comments.  I don't think Franklin belongs anywhere near that list.  Don't understand Clay's seeming fascination with him.   

If I had to pick five from that list, it would be:

1. Carroll
2. Peterson
3. Patterson
4. Mullen
5. Cut

The last two have won in the SEC at programs that don't have the tradition or facilities that UT has.  Cut would have, in retrospect, been a much better INTERIM type coach than Dooley, but it's way too late for that.  Hammy caved to the  fan complaints and basically pulled his offer off the table, IMO. 

I would not consider, even for one second, Butch Davis, Petrino, Franklin, Holgarson, Golden, Dykes, Briles

Butch Jones, Strong and maybe Taggert I would need to think about more.  Don't know much about them.  One of them could easily knock Cut or Mullen down the list, but my top 3 is pretty solid.  Taggert is unlikely to crack the top five...I just can't be that impressed by WKU no matter how good he is.  My problems with Strong and Jones though, are that they live in the Big East, which I have zero respect for.  Still, maybe they are the guys.

Gruden is intriguing, but I want someone who got it done in college.  He would be better than the ones I don't want though, so maybe he is 8th or 9th.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 12:30:18 EDT »

Oh yeah, let me say, that if it's Cut, then I see him as a guy who could finish the rebuilding effort started by Dooley, but much more competently.

And if he is, what are the odds that he, of all people, could hire, 2-3 years down the road, a certain well-regarded former Vol to be the QB coach, then the OC, then....

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 01:29:57 EDT »

of that.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 02:13:32 EDT »

Pete left Lane with a sizable pile of sh*t to deal with at USC

Well that's another good thing he did then   

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 02:56:50 EDT »

I am not a fan of Hiring Gruden. I think he won with others players and when he got the ones he wanted it went downhill.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 03:03:18 EDT »

I am not a fan of Hiring Gruden. I think he won with others players and when he got the ones he wanted it went downhill.
You would be 100% CORRECT.  He won with Dungy's players and LOST, big time, with his players.  The franchise still hasn't recovered from his destruction of it.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 03:03:51 EDT »

Other comments.  I don't think Franklin belongs anywhere near that list.  Don't understand Clay's seeming fascination with him.   

If I had to pick five from that list, it would be:

1. Carroll
2. Peterson
3. Patterson
4. Mullen
5. Cut

The last two have won in the SEC at programs that don't have the tradition or facilities that UT has.  Cut would have, in retrospect, been a much better INTERIM type coach than Dooley, but it's way too late for that.  Hammy caved to the  fan complaints and basically pulled his offer off the table, IMO. 

I would not consider, even for one second, Butch Davis, Petrino, Franklin, Holgarson, Golden, Dykes, Briles

Butch Jones, Strong and maybe Taggert I would need to think about more.  Don't know much about them.  One of them could easily knock Cut or Mullen down the list, but my top 3 is pretty solid.  Taggert is unlikely to crack the top five...I just can't be that impressed by WKU no matter how good he is.  My problems with Strong and Jones though, are that they live in the Big East, which I have zero respect for.  Still, maybe they are the guys.

Gruden is intriguing, but I want someone who got it done in college.  He would be better than the ones I don't want though, so maybe he is 8th or 9th.
Enjoy your dreams, because that is all that list is IMO.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 03:08:28 EDT »

Good point IV.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 03:12:48 EDT »

Well, seeing as Seattle beat New England today and is 4-2, looking pretty impressive in the process, Carroll will probably not leave Seattle.  I also don't believe Peterson ever leaves Boise State.  I think he has personal reasons of family health to stay there.

As for the other three, what makes you think it's fantasy?  You think Patterson is not interested?   

I could see where the alumni might block Cut, or are you saying he would not come?  What about Mullen?

And don't assume I want a coaching change just because I am discussing the list.  I will support whatever decision Hart makes.  He doesn't need any input from me, he can make up his own mind.   

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 03:20:24 EDT »

Well, seeing as Seattle beat New England today and is 4-2, looking pretty impressive in the process, Carroll will probably not leave Seattle.  I also don't believe Peterson ever leaves Boise State.  I think he has personal reasons of family health to stay there.

As for the other three, what makes you think it's fantasy?  You think Patterson is not interested?  

I could see where the alumni might block Cut, or are you saying he would not come?  What about Mullen?

And don't assume I want a coaching change just because I am discussing the list.  I will support whatever decision Hart makes.  He doesn't need any input from me, he can make up his own mind.  

Patterson has been shown $$ and hasn't left.  I think Mullen likes being the big fish in a small pond.  Cut, good coach and would win.  But two things.  1) If the rumours are true of what occured 3 years ago he would not be interested and 2) he is about as exciting as watching paint dry and the fan base wants the latest flavor of the month who cracks wise.

If, IF we were to be in the market for a new coach (I'm not convinced we will be) the of the names on your list Cut would be my pick.  Experience has shown he would win and perhaps he could turn Bray from a gunslinger to a QB.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 03:21:28 EDT »

Cut could go to Kentucky,He's a real candidate for the Head Coaching job

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 05:09:32 EDT »

Cut could go to Kentucky,He's a real candidate for the Head Coaching job

Not sure why he would    It isn't any better than Duke IMO

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 05:29:14 EDT »

Not sure why he would    It isn't any better than Duke IMO

I think Kentucky fans and alumni want Coach Cut or La Tech Coach Sonny Dykes. Coach Cut could have an instant impact there like Hal Mumme did in 1997 getting their fans to fill the stadium and get charged up
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:31:57 EDT by WoodstockVol » Logged

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:07 EDT »

I think Patterson is a possible now. Here's why. He used to be the big fish in a small pond. He had a weak schedule, and presumably the best recruiting base and facilities in his old conference. Now he's mid-level at best in the Big 12.

If I'm UK I go after Taggert at WKU if Leach says no. And yeah, they should go after Mike Leach even though he's only been at WSU one year. He's a no-brainer to win and put fans in the seats. I hope they get neither, but that's what they should do. Dykes is doing a great job, but I wonder if he's using Dooley's players.

IMHO Dooley is good at identifying talent and getting it on campus.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 04:39:01 EDT »

I think Patterson is a possible now. Here's why. He used to be the big fish in a small pond. He had a weak schedule, and presumably the best recruiting base and facilities in his old conference. Now he's mid-level at best in the Big 12.

If I'm UK I go after Taggert at WKU if Leach says no. And yeah, they should go after Mike Leach even though he's only been at WSU one year. He's a no-brainer to win and put fans in the seats. I hope they get neither, but that's what they should do. Dykes is doing a great job, but I wonder if he's using Dooley's players.

IMHO Dooley is good at identifying talent and getting it on campus.

I want Charlie Strong to be the next UT coach. I know UT can pony up enough cash to draw Him away from Louisville. I like Strong because of His defensive background,also.(I'd like it if Teddy Bridgewater could follow Him to UT!) If I'm UK,I go after Sonny Dykes(He's a hot commodity right now)or Coach Cut. Those two would bring back excitement for UK fans and get them back in the stands.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 06:34:21 EDT »

I'm a big Strong fan too. With Petrino presumably headed to AU I think I'd narrow the field to Strong and Patterson.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: