VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 02:20:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I'm losing interest in college sports  (Read 6807 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2012, 08:38:57 EDT »

At the current time, UT is mediocre to bad in football, mediocre in basketball, and wallowing in the swan song of a legend in women's basketball. I have slight hope for basketball (although I don't see Cuonzo ever competing with Calipari much), very little hope for football (I've all but written Dooley off at this point), and sadness for women's basketball (self explanatory).

To go on top of that, the two Great Satans of college sports, Alabama football and Kentucky basketball, hold current national championship trophies in those sports.

I mean, really?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Salvador VOLi
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:40:35 EDT »

But it is times like these that will make our rise to back to preeminence all the sweeter.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:44:46 EDT »

But it is times like these that will make our rise to back to preeminence all the sweeter.

I've been living on the "Our time will come back around" kool-aid since 2005. It's starting to spoil.

I will never stop being a fan of UT but right now it's really easy for me to find other things to focus on than UT sports.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:27:35 EDT »

I've been living on the "Our time will come back around" kool-aid since 2005. It's starting to spoil.

I will never stop being a fan of UT but right now it's really easy for me to find other things to focus on than UT sports.

At least you have The Preds!
VOLveeta
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:46:37 EDT »

"To go on top of that, the two Great Satans of college sports, Alabama football and Kentucky basketball, hold current national championship trophies in those sports."

This times ten.  The two programs I loathe miles above all others, bring home the trophy.  I despise these fanbases more than any other... none others come even close.

yer pal™,
VOLveeta
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:59:46 EDT »

Well, the last time the cayuts won it all in hoops, UT won the NC in football the next fall.  So that's...something.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:02:21 EDT »

My feelings exactly, Revolver.  There was a time I would check the Vol sites daily for any article having any kind of info about Vol football.  Now, even the occasional offseason writeup isn't worth my time in reading it.  I'm so jaded with the "QB becoming a leader", "Offensive tackle promising better run game next season" articles.  Even an article on a new position coach or coordinator doesn't really hold my interest.  They're going to say the right things and put on a good front, but until we start beating our rivals, my interest is waning.  I just can't keep putting my heart and soul into something that's become a pattern of disappointment.  I'll always bleed orange, but like you said.. It's becoming easier and easier to find other things to do.
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:48:01 EDT »

At the current time, UT is mediocre to bad in football, mediocre in basketball, and wallowing in the swan song of a legend in women's basketball. I have slight hope for basketball (although I don't see Cuonzo ever competing with Calipari much), very little hope for football (I've all but written Dooley off at this point), and sadness for women's basketball (self explanatory).

To go on top of that, the two Great Satans of college sports, Alabama football and Kentucky basketball, hold current national championship trophies in those sports.

I mean, really?

Football is similar to when I graduated in 1975.  Kind of looked hopless back then, and sure enough we went through a long drought.
Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:24 EDT »

Better days will come! I have a sweatshirt in my closet from of my school years that says "I am Vol fan that survived the 1988 season", and have keep it all these years for some reason. I guess 1988 begin 0-6 was rock bottom of my Tennessee fandom I saw 5 of 6 myself including the 28-17 loss at UGA from the UGA student section. I have always thought of next 2 1/2 years as the foundation for what happen in the 90's from mid-88 to 90 (25-3-2) 1 Cotton Bowl and 1 Sugar Bowl. 1985 nobody saw that coming after Tony Robinson was hurt I thought we might win 1 or 2 more games. 1985 was so much fun just because we had been so bad so long in ways 1985 was watching the ultimate underdog win. Tennessee football is a long history of greatness followed by spurts of gnashing your teeth, when we turn the corner sometimes you get a nice long run :).
Volcreed
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 11:11:57 EDT »

and when we WIN again! Payback everyone else fans like they have made us pay :) I am going be the biggest jerk ever next run! :) of course I might be getting to old for smack talk!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 11:21:09 EDT »

Let me chime in and add my sentiments that the ascendence of UK and bammer are particularly galling while we are down. 

I have full confidence that Calipari will be eventually busted again, but then part of me thinks Nike might actually have enough money to buy off the NCAA.

I suspect that bammer is similarly dirty, but who knows.

My take is a bit different though.  Seeing some of the goofballs that root for bammer and how important it is to them...I mean for some people in this state it's the ONLY thing in their life that's positive....all that makes me think sports should not be emphasized so much.

I guess to say it another way, I am still a huge Tennessee fan, but I have a perspective that it's all for fun and not a fundamental part of my life.  And...that's a good thing!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:39:34 EDT »

I'd like to be contrarian, but I'm with the masses. Until there's a good product on the field I'm not going to keep up with reports like I used to. Why? It doesn't matter what's said until some gridiron proficiency is demonstrated. Show me don't tell me.

I'm not ticked, I just don't care. Show me we can run the ball and I'll have some interest, but until then I won't get my hopes up. That doesn't make us bandwagon fans, but it does make us realists. My allegiance isn't going anywhere, but my time (and to some extent money) is.

Disclaimer: I'm finishing a move from Nashville to Charlotte in a month so my disinterest may be partically related to that taking more of my time.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 02:15:55 EDT »

At least you have The Preds!

I am fully prepared for a first round playoff flameout.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

NC Enginerd
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 07:43:49 EDT »

Runs the bandwagoners off.

As long as there is an eventual rise back to the upper echelons.   

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G.K. Chesterton ILN, 4/19/24
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: