VTTW Board Index
May 10, 2024, 07:47:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outlook  (Read 3164 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2014, 11:38:47 EDT »

We are a bit better than I expected so far, but I am not at all certain we make it to a bowl.  Overall, this is there is a crispness and purpose to the team that has been lacking in the past.  Flashes of greatness, but much work remains and talent level still not quite there.

Chattanooga, Vandy, Kentucky, we should win, in that order.  However I am increasingly concerned with UK and am glad we play them in Ktown.

USC jr, Florida, and Mizzou appear beatable, in that order.  There is still a lot of football to be played before we play any of them, but surely we can win one of three?

Ole Miss is a tweener.  Were this in Ktown I might include them in the second group. Not impressed with their first game or the effort so far today.  We will see....but right now they are definitelly tougher than any of the above.

Uga, bammer and OU appear unwinnable, in that order.  The first two are big rivals, so "anything can happen in a rivalry game". OU definitely the toughest IMO.  Early in season and on road.

Cautiously optimisitc that we can make a bowl game, but it is by no means a lock.  One brick at a time baby!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:51:37 EDT »

We are a bit better than I expected so far, but I am not at all certain we make it to a bowl.  Overall, this is there is a crispness and purpose to the team that has been lacking in the past.  Flashes of greatness, but much work remains and talent level still not quite there.

Chattanooga, Vandy, Kentucky, we should win, in that order.  However I am increasingly concerned with UK and am glad we play them in Ktown.

USC jr, Florida, and Mizzou appear beatable, in that order.  There is still a lot of football to be played before we play any of them, but surely we can win one of three?

Ole Miss is a tweener.  Were this in Ktown I might include them in the second group. Not impressed with their first game or the effort so far today.  We will see....but right now they are definitelly tougher than any of the above.

Uga, bammer and OU appear unwinnable, in that order.  The first two are big rivals, so "anything can happen in a rivalry game". OU definitely the toughest IMO.  Early in season and on road.

Cautiously optimisitc that we can make a bowl game, but it is by no means a lock.  One brick at a time baby!

All of those games will be wins because while UK has looked ok they should have beaten Ohio by at least four TDs.  They were up 14-0 in the first ten minutes then scored 6 points the rest of the way.  If you are basing any of your hypotehtical concern with UK on the UT Martin spanking then abuse thyself with a lashing while you read this post.  UT beat UTM like a rented mule and UK should have done that as well.  The competition level between the UKL and UT wins is like night and day.  Vandy and Chattanooga....wow I feel so dirty just typing those school names. AKA we are at five wins.  

USCe and UF are beatable. While Roper outdueled the Eastern MI defense it was like asking the proverbial 98 pound weakling to go into the ring with Rocky Marciano and knock him out in the first round.  WAS NOT GONNA HAPPEN.  Also USCe could not stop A&M's pass offense at all.  Candy and kid in the store come to mind.  If we can take one of these two games we are at 6 wins.  Bowl Game Baby.  

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:11 EDT »

Emeril, understand that when I said I was worried about UK, they were up 20-3 in the EARLY SECOND QUARTER against a team that was 7-6 last year (and yes, still suxes ass, but maybe not as much as you think).

And as bad as UTM and Ohio are, last year I don't think UK would lay that many points on either.  UK has a decent to good coach and has recruited well (EXTREMELY well by thier usual standards). 

Thus I don't see the game as a complete walk.  OTOH, it's early and they may well revert to form here soon.

Part of my concern is paranoia about the lack of breaks Tennessee has had the last few years.  Vandy is a decent team right when we are at our lowest....that apparently is over....it would be just our luck to have Kentucky take their place in that role!

But yeah....far less concerned today.

I agree on UF and USC jr, but I will point out that last year, no matter how bad Eastern Michigan is, UF would not hang 65 on them.  Looking forward to seeing how good they really are.

I notice you left Mizzou out....I am not sold on them.  They have looked lethargic, have lost a ton of talent, and have yet to be tested (and won't be for another 2-3 weeks).  They may be down there with UF and USC jr, but we will see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:10:10 EDT »

USCe is very beatable. They didn't look that good vs ECU, I watched that game. Their secondary has big issues, and they don't generate a good pass rush. Their offense is also inconsistent, Dylan Thompson sometimes throws a good ball, and sometimes he is very inaccurate. He also doesn't have a lot of mobility.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:11:03 EDT »

I agree on UF and USC jr, but I will point out that last year, no matter how bad Eastern Michigan is, UF would not hang 65 on them.  Looking forward to seeing how good they really are.

While UF may well be improved offensively, EMU went 2-10 last year, and gave up 40+ points in 9 of 12 games, including 6 times giving up 50+ (against a MAC schedule).  They may have the worst defense in the country.  I think a lot of teams at this level could hang 65 on them, especially if they throw it as often as UF did.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:17:43 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 06:57:05 EDT »

Nut and BDV...I agree that both UF and USCe, at this point in the season, look very beatable.  However our team is still a work in progress also, so I am hesitant to actually predict anything.  We will have a better idea after this weekend.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: