VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 11:37:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FWIW, Basilio echoes Hyams on Cheek  (Read 11801 times)
Creek Walker
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 12:09:46 EST »

I will believe that if we offer him and if he turns us down.  Remember, Saban wasn't going to be the next coach at Bama either.  It isn't like Strong is going to come out to the media and say he hates Louisville and is going to leave the first chance he gets.  And Jurich isn't going to say their cap of paying their football coach is X.

This is true. A lot of these quotes about so-and-so isn't leaving such-and-such place are spawned from media questions asking directly whether he's leaving. Of course he's going to say no. There is no other acceptable answer. Maybe he's Louisville for life. Maybe he ain't. I don't think you can assess that based on a sound byte. Jurich's comments about not letting Strong get away are all well and good, and he may be sincere about making Strong the highest-paid football coach in America, but does he have the support of the guys over his head? When it comes to money, athletic directors are merely pawns in a game that is much bigger than they are. Besides, there's more to football than just money. If Strong believes he's got what it takes to succeed at Tennessee (and I've never seen a coach at any level without a healthy ego), he would be crazy to stay at Louisville and turn down an opportunity to jump to a big-time SEC program. Maybe he feels like he owes Louisville something for giving him his shot, much like Pearl felt indebted to Tennessee. If that's the case, he might stay there another year or two or three. Make him an offer and see what he says.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 01:20:57 EST »

Just the opposite, Tom Jurich has publicly stated that he will make Charlie Strong the highest paid coach in college football if that is what it takes.  $$$$$ will not matter.  If you know any Jurich history, you can take that as gospel.  Charlie Strong is not Nick Saban.  He is, as is Pitino, intensely loyal to Jurich, not just as an AD but as a friend.  Charlie Strong will not be the next coach at Tennessee.

I will believe that if we offer him and if he turns us down.  Remember, Saban wasn't going to be the next coach at Bama either.  It isn't like Strong is going to come out to the media and say he hates Louisville and is going to leave the first chance he gets.  And Jurich isn't going to say their cap of paying their football coach is X.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 01:26:20 EST »

Jurich absolutely has the support of all above, and he has the bucks, reserve as well as donations.  The only thing that will move Charlie Strong would be your second point, he just wants to get to SEC level.  That might happen down the road, but not this year.  I would bet my house and both dogs that Charlie will not come to Tennessee.

This is true. A lot of these quotes about so-and-so isn't leaving such-and-such place are spawned from media questions asking directly whether he's leaving. Of course he's going to say no. There is no other acceptable answer. Maybe he's Louisville for life. Maybe he ain't. I don't think you can assess that based on a sound byte. Jurich's comments about not letting Strong get away are all well and good, and he may be sincere about making Strong the highest-paid football coach in America, but does he have the support of the guys over his head? When it comes to money, athletic directors are merely pawns in a game that is much bigger than they are. Besides, there's more to football than just money. If Strong believes he's got what it takes to succeed at Tennessee (and I've never seen a coach at any level without a healthy ego), he would be crazy to stay at Louisville and turn down an opportunity to jump to a big-time SEC program. Maybe he feels like he owes Louisville something for giving him his shot, much like Pearl felt indebted to Tennessee. If that's the case, he might stay there another year or two or three. Make him an offer and see what he says.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 02:45:27 EST »

Whether he would come or not, I would take Strong in a heartbeat.

Also I tried to tell everyone that Petrino's name was going to come up. With Gruden fading out of the picture, expect it to get a lot more play, too.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 04:25:14 EST »

Strong says he will not leave Louisville, and Tom Jurich will not let Strong leave Louisville. 

I forgot about that.  But in spite of what Jurich says, Strong has to recognize that Tennessee is way better than Louisville.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: