VTTW Board Index
May 20, 2024, 09:34:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the heck do we hate Tim Tebow?  (Read 6787 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:45:35 EST »

I get a little tired of the Tebow mania myself, but this is an excellent read by a columnist who is spot on in her assessment of the Tebow hatred and what it says about all of us.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tim-Tebow-why-the-heck-do-we-hate-him-110211
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:46:50 EST »

Oops. I just realized that the article is a month old. Where have I been? Oh, well, it's still a good piece. 
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 08:53:35 EST »

I get a little tired of the Tebow mania myself, but this is an excellent read by a columnist who is spot on in her assessment of the Tebow hatred and what it says about all of us.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tim-Tebow-why-the-heck-do-we-hate-him-110211

Honestly, I've always admired him for being the devout Christian that he is.   I hated him because he was a Gator, pure and simple.....now that he's in the pros, I hope he's successful....and those that mock him 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:13:25 EST »

He chose to play for Urban Meyer.  That's a huge black mark on his character.

Cowboy
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 12:41:34 EST »

Where & who he played for has absolutely nothing to do with his character.........   
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 01:41:44 EST »

Big fan of Tebow, myself.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 01:49:19 EST »

Where & who he played for has absolutely nothing to do with his character.........   

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure BDV was being sarcastic.

Can we at least agree that signing with Meyer and UF was a lapse in judgment? 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 02:09:52 EST »

I like the fact he plays hard. Goodness knows I certainly have nothing against him. My only concern is talk is cheap. I sincerely hope he's legit, but anyone can walk around with shirts, pennants, medallions, phylacteries, bumper stickers and/or a megaphone screaming about God. They don't tell you about a person's heart.

Let me be clear, I don't know what's in his heart. I just don't get too up or too down about people I don't know - and I'm leery of things I perceive (goodness knows I'm wrong a lot) as showy. Matthew 6:1-9 comes to mind.

"1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
   2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 02:15:41 EST »

I'm not positive the above passage completely applies because 1st downs aren't exactly "acts of righteousness" like feeding the hungry. Anyhow, I think the general principle of public displays for public displays' sake hold. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 02:37:27 EST »

I like the fact he plays hard. Goodness knows I certainly have nothing against him. My only concern is talk is cheap. I sincerely hope he's legit, but anyone can walk around with shirts, pennants, medallions, phylacteries, bumper stickers and/or a megaphone screaming about God. They don't tell you about a person's heart.

Let me be clear, I don't know what's in his heart. I just don't get too up or too down about people I don't know - and I'm leery of things I perceive (goodness knows I'm wrong a lot) as showy. Matthew 6:1-9 comes to mind.

"1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
   2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him." 

I was skeptical, too. But then I decided that why should I be judging a guy who I can't possibly know well enough to judge. Only Tebow knows if he is being sincere. But I have seen no reason to think he ISN'T sincere. Although I generally agree with what you're saying, I'd still much rather see a guy like Tebow be a role model for our kids than a lot of these younger punks on the football field. And regardless of whether Tebow is being sincere, other players mocking him is pretty sad.

Professional sports would be much better off if there were more athletes like Tim Tebow, Peyton Manning and David Robinson.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 04:11:40 EST »

Doubting Tim Tebow is a waste of energy.

I want the guy to succeed because has-beens like Merrill Hoge are so personally invested in his failure.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 04:31:02 EST »

Doubting Tim Tebow is a waste of energy.

I want the guy to succeed because has-beens like Merrill Hoge are so personally invested in his failure.

I can understand the criticisms of Tebow because of his faulty mechanics, his inaccuracy and such, but Hoge takes it to another level, almost as if Tebow has personally wronged him somehowand he's bitter about it.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 04:32:09 EST »

I can understand the criticisms of Tebow because of his faulty mechanics, his inaccuracy and such, but Hoge takes it to another level, almost as if Tebow has personally wronged him somehowand he's bitter about it.

Totally agree. Tebow deserves the criticism on the mechanics front, but guys like Hoge make it about more. FWIW Hoge did the same thing with Vince Young, Tebow is just a more polarizing figure.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 12:25:17 EST »

1) I think BOM's point about not knowing Tebow, and therefore not being able to evaluate his actions is a good one.

2) I too am pulling for him because of the naysayers. Anyone who busts it has my support.

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 12:32:29 EST »

I was sick and tired of hearing about SAINT TIMMY while at Florida..................mainly because he was single handedly kicking our ASS, but now i don't mind him so much and it's actually ok to see the Broncos win with Tebow BALL...................cause it would never work in the pro system.................I think i may have even said that.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:34:47 EST by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: