VTTW Board Index
May 18, 2024, 11:10:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The SEC Spring Meetings this week are going to be very interesting…  (Read 1063 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2022, 02:36:37 EDT »

And not just because of the Saban/Fisher dynamic. Is the SEC considering breaking away from the rest of CFB? Not to toot my own horn, but I called this when the tx/OU news broke. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/first-and-10-what-happens-this-week-in-destin-could-change-college-football-forever/

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 11:09:10 EDT »

I don't understand the benefit of breaking away. Is it just a "chest pounding" thing? SEC has dominated college football, but there are many other schools with alumni & fans that will stick with their teams & leagues. I'm confused lol.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 12:31:03 EDT »

I don't understand the benefit of breaking away. Is it just a "chest pounding" thing? SEC has dominated college football, but there are many other schools with alumni & fans that will stick with their teams & leagues. I'm confused lol.
I have had this discussion with several friends and I agree with you, Joe. The SEC might do this and claim their own NC, but it will not result in a truly identified NC imo. There's no way to separate from the other P5 schools and rightfully claim a true, undisputed NC.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 01:09:23 EDT »

It sounds like a lot of posturing to me. The rest of the conferences were ticked when TX and OK agreed to join the SEC, so the other conferences changed their minds and opposed the expansion of the playoffs. The SEC wanted an expansion of the playoffs, so this is the SEC's response.

The SEC leaving the rest of college football might happen but I'm skeptical. And I don't think it would be a good idea.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 03:47:02 EDT »

It sounds like a lot of posturing to me. The rest of the conferences were ticked when TX and OK agreed to join the SEC, so the other conferences changed their minds and opposed the expansion of the playoffs. The SEC wanted an expansion of the playoffs, so this is the SEC's response.

The SEC leaving the rest of college football might happen but I'm skeptical. And I don't think it would be a good idea.

Agree 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 04:19:53 EDT »

If they were to secede, I think they would be betting that most of the other big schools would eventually join them. The SEC already wins national titles in FB about 75% of the time, and they’re about to bring in two more programs that are frequently in the mix. Also notice in the article that the SEC and Notre Dame are allied here, even against ND’s kinda sorta conference mates in the ACC. That’s definitely something to keep an eye on. If the SEC (and ND?) were to break away, maybe pulling a few select Big 12 leftovers with them, the other conferences’ TV deals instantly would plummet in value. The OSUs and FSUs and USCs and Clemsons of the world would be forced to either join the new league or continue on in a glorified FCS.

Not saying any of that would definitely happen, but I think that’s what the SEC would be counting on. It’s a HUGE gamble. It’s a high wire walk across the Grand Canyon with no safety net. But the potential monetary payoff could be enormous.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 05:05:31 EDT »

If they were to secede, I think they would be betting that most of the other big schools would eventually join them. The SEC already wins national titles in FB about 75% of the time, and they’re about to bring in two more programs that are frequently in the mix. Also notice in the article that the SEC and Notre Dame are allied here, even against ND’s kinda sorta conference mates in the ACC. That’s definitely something to keep an eye on. If the SEC (and ND?) were to break away, maybe pulling a few select Big 12 leftovers with them, the other conferences’ TV deals instantly would plummet in value. The OSUs and FSUs and USCs and Clemsons of the world would be forced to either join the new league or continue on in a glorified FCS.

Not saying any of that would definitely happen, but I think that’s what the SEC would be counting on. It’s a HUGE gamble. It’s a high wire walk across the Grand Canyon with no safety net. But the potential monetary payoff could be enormous.
o saw a tweet the other day, since we won the first, only 13 teams have won the natty.
Six of the teams are in the SEC and two of the remaining will be joining the SEC
So by 2025 8 of the 13 schools will be in the SEC

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 03:13:35 EDT »

Same basic states tried this back in 1860.  Did not go well.  I suspect a CFB breakaway would not go as envisioned.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 05:55:10 EDT »

Same basic states tried this back in 1860.  Did not go well.  I suspect a CFB breakaway would not go as envisioned.

Who's gonna be the Big Ten savior that goes on a scorched-earth march to the sea to break the spirits of the SEC? 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 09:43:11 EDT »

Who's gonna be the Big Ten savior that goes on a scorched-earth march to the sea to break the spirits of the SEC? 

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2022, 03:27:05 EDT »

Based on the army of Ohio (excuse me, THE Ohio) cars on I-75 in the summer,  I suspect they are already channeling Sherman.  I would note that they are just as welcome, and just as arrogant.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: