VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 12:00:41 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Basilio this morning...  (Read 12391 times)
Creek Walker
« on: November 15, 2012, 02:16:12 EST »

Basilio says that Gruden's agent has told UT that Gruden will take the job if the money is right, and reports the same things Hyams reported yesterday about what Gruden wants ($5 yr/10 yrs and $4 million for assistants).

With Basilio and Hyams reporting it, it must be true. 
10EC
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 02:20:07 EST »

I swear, I'll send money to the UTAD tomorrow if they will just do this.  I swear we ought to fire up a grass roots effort.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 04:31:13 EST »

I don't have a problem with $5 mil a year, but 10 years is ridiculous.  If you're going to give a guy more money, give him a shorter time and a smaller buyout.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 04:38:14 EST »

I don't have a problem with $5 mil a year, but 10 years is ridiculous.  If you're going to give a guy more money, give him a shorter time and a smaller buyout.

This stance drives me nuts. I don't care how they kill they cow, I want a steak on my plate and I want it yesterday.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 05:05:26 EST »

This stance drives me nuts. I don't care how they kill they cow, I want a steak on my plate and I want it yesterday.

LOL.  So you're happy that Dooley has a $ 5 million buyout?

As a fan, you can have whatever stance you want.  Hart has to look out for the good of the department.  Dooley's contract is so disadvantageous to us that in spite of the really crappy 3-year run we are on, I think it's still possible (maybe not likely, but possible) that Hart retains him.

So yeah, let's go ahead and give another guy TEN YEARS (unprecedented - also almost certainly BS, but I digress) and a huge buyout so we can get stuck with his dum ass also if he doesn't work out (whether it's Gruden or someone else).

This is key to me...you want a hot coach?  You want the guy to take us to the next level (or several levels, lol)?  And you want to pay him as much as it takes, right?

Well if he's all that, then let him man up and accept some risk.  No big buyout, and 5 years, maybe 4, at the most. 

That's just good business.

I realize that you are speaking as a fan, but to me it's just COMMON sense, let alone business sense.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 05:13:08 EST »

As a fan, you can have whatever stance you want.  Hart has to look out for the good of the department.  Dooley's contract is so disadvantageous to us that in spite of the really crappy 3-year run we are on, I think it's still possible (maybe not likely, but possible) that Hart retains him.

So yeah, let's go ahead and give another guy TEN YEARS (unprecedented - also almost certainly BS, but I digress) and a huge buyout so we can get stuck with his dum ass also if he doesn't work out (whether it's Gruden or someone else).

This is key to me...you want a hot coach?  You want the guy to take us to the next level (or several levels, lol)?  And you want to pay him as much as it takes, right?

Well if he's all that, then let him man up and accept some risk.  No big buyout, and 5 years, maybe 4, at the most. 

I realize that you are speaking as a fan, but to me it's just COMMON sense, let alone business sense.

As in all negotiations and business decisions, there is an offer which will be accepted and a lesser offer which gets rejected. Of course it makes business sense to give shorter contracts if possible when hiring new coaches, but what if contracts with shorter durations will never be accepted by the coach you are trying to hire? Then you either settle for another coach or you offer the longer contract. And that comes down to how badly you want the coach.

It is NOT a no-brainer that you should never offer long deals. It's very risky but for the right coach it might be what you have to do.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 05:16:33 EST »

Bandit it all depends. Does UT believe Gruden is the answer? If so, the money and time is small potatoes compared to the revenue they will generate if he gets it done.

Otherwise, why bother? You knew he would demand a lot

generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 05:17:59 EST »

I don't even know you bandit, but I feel like I want to punch you.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:33 EST »

I'm not even going to read all of that, to be honest. To the first line, I don't care about Dooley's buyout... I am pissed that they fizzleed it up and hired the wrong guy. It is not my money. I do not care about the money. I want a winning football team. If they win, they money will not matter. If they don't win, they aren't getting my money.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:47 EST »

Not a very civil post.  Bandit is as entitled to his opinion as anyone else.  In fact, I believe that 10 years is far too long for a coaching contract unless it comes with a very small (or no) buyout.  Then again, I am not a Gruden fan, so....  In any event, let's keep the discourse civil please. 
UTnbama
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 05:27:38 EST »

Aobut the 10 years. There is absolutely no reason performance goals and thresholds couldn't be added to mitigate paying the full amount if the performace wasn't there. Should really not be a problem if structured properly.
generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 05:28:10 EST »

Not a very civil post.  Bandit is as entitled to his opinion as anyone else.  In fact, I believe that 10 years is far too long for a coaching contract unless it comes with a very small (or no) buyout.  Then again, I am not a Gruden fan, so....  In any event, let's keep the discourse civil please. 

Ahh, I'm not trying to uncivil. You don't me well so you can't tell I'm being light-hearted about it but be assured that I am.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 05:32:30 EST »

Aobut the 10 years. There is absolutely no reason performance goals and thresholds couldn't be added to mitigate paying the full amount if the performace wasn't there. Should really not be a problem if structured properly.

Well, that is the key (bolded orange text in quote).  The thought of another failed coach getting paid big bucks to get out of town isn't very appealling.    Such things won't matter if the next coach is successful, and they would not have mattered if previous coaches were successful.  That's why structuring for potential failure is important, IMO.  Some risk has to be taken by the coach.  I despise one-sided contracts.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 05:34:13 EST »

I just think fans shouldn't care about or concern themselves with those details. The complaints all come back to wins and losses. The length of the contract or the buyout is never an issue when the coach is performing well.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 05:36:33 EST »

Ahh, I'm not trying to uncivil. You don't me well so you can't tell I'm being light-hearted about it but be assured that I am.

I thought that might be the case, but I just don't want things to get out of control.  As far as knowing you, I have been at the VTTW since 1998, so....    And, if I don't know you, Bandit also may not, and I wanted to avoid a back-and-forth exchange.  I actually try to step lightly with my moderator shoes in these situations.   
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 05:40:56 EST »

Come sit next to me.  We can be "Punch and Slappy" 
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 05:41:39 EST »

I just think fans shouldn't care about or concern themselves with those details. The complaints all come back to wins and losses. The length of the contract or the buyout is never an issue when the coach is performing well.

I actually think graduates and donors should be concerned about those things.  Of course they don't matter when a coach is successful.  But, administrators should be negotiating and entering into contracts with all possibilities (or an many as can be foreseen) in mind.  The length of the contract and terms of a buyout are there to deal with potential failure, which we know all too well is a real possibility and easily foreseen.   
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 05:50:17 EST »

I agree with Bandit.  I, like all of you, want UT to win.  Having said that, from a financial standpoint (which is what Hart and the university must consider) it doesn't make good sense to engage in a long-term contract with a huge buyout.  If the coach was a guarantee, the scenario is different - but there are not guarantees.  No coach is assured of winning here - no matter who it is.  There are factors that cannot be controlled that help determine that.

Now if the wording could be structured in the contract so that performance goals are used as contract determinants, then a longer contract and higher buyout might seem to me to make more sense.

To just go out and offer a guy a huge contract, with a huge buyout, to me makes no sense.  It is great if the guy works out, but does further harm to the athletic department if things go sour.  It could turn out to be just one more coach that we'd have to "pay me now, pay me later".
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 05:52:03 EST »

I actually think graduates and donors should be concerned about those things.  Of course they don't matter when a coach is successful.  But, administrators should be negotiating and entering into contracts with all possibilities (or an many as can be foreseen) in mind.  The length of the contract and terms of a buyout are there to deal with potential failure, which we know all too well is a real possibility and easily foreseen.    
For a minute there I thought you were throwing us sidewalk alumni under the bus

Then I realized I was a droner, just not a large one ...  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:55:47 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 05:55:31 EST »

Of course we're all arguing over something that may not have an ounce of truth to it, but I would be opposed to a 10-year contract myself. I would rather pay him more salary and have less of a buyout in his contract. I'm okay with paying good money to get a coach to UT but I'm not willing to bankrupt the program doing it.

If the donors agree to put up a good chunk of that buyout in the event that it might be needed, I'm all for it.
generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 06:31:35 EST »

Come sit next to me.  We can be "Punch and Slappy" 

Sounds like an 80s cop duo. I'm down.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 06:49:44 EST »

Coming to a stadium near you: $100 per game tickets

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
generic name here
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 06:56:57 EST »

Coming to a stadium near you: $100 per game tickets

Paid without hesitation for a good product.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 07:00:43 EST »

Paid without hesitation for a good product.

Yed. A $100 steak sure is pricey but I'm sure as hell not buying the $60 turd sandwich.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 07:06:39 EST »

risk vs reward. That's what the decision comes down to

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: