VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 09:37:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those of you that have access to VQ I would suggest you read Hubbs'  (Read 12051 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:00:07 EST »

response to a poster for his opinion of various coaches relative to recruiting, X/O's game management, exciting the fan base etc. http://tennessee.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?FID=2251&SID=879&MID=181617421&TID=181605877

Coaches reviewed included the usual suspects that are assumed to be at or near the top of the hot list.

I think it a rational look at the coaches.  He was asked his opinion and he gave it but it is not just a "off the top of his head" response.  I believe it to be a good departure point for any discussion of various coaches strengths and weakness relative to Tennessee.

My interpretations:
Golden - not so much
Fedora - good coach, not Mr. Excitement
Gruden Mania - Can he adapt to the 20 hour rule (if he was to be hired my biggest question)
Strong - good defensive whiz, what kindof offense and he is still young HC wise
Fisher - looks to be the most well rounded candidate
Mora - recruiting in the South could be an issue
Patterson - solid coach, not Mr. Excitement to the fans
Franklin - loves publicity, improving as a HC

Your mileage may vary
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:24:47 EST by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 02:13:45 EST »

response to a poster for his opinion of various coaches relative to recruiting, X/O's game management, exciting the fan base etc. (11/26, 11:28 PM - I will not post a direct link unless TRO says it is ok).
Coaches reviewed included the usual suspects that are assumed to be at or near the top of the hot list.

I think it a rational look at the coaches.  He was asked his opinion and he gave it but it is not just a "off the top of his head" response.  I believe it to be a good departure point for any discussion of various coaches strengths and weakness relative to Tennessee.

You can certainly add a direct link, and you can even quote snippets as long as you give a source/credit. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 02:34:24 EST »

Franklin would be an interesting choice. I think he can motivate, which I think was a big issue for Dooley.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:56:00 EST »

Franklin would be an interesting choice. I think he can motivate, which I think was a big issue for Dooley.

I would rather have Bobby Petrino than James Franklin. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:25:59 EST »

Just to clarify Lyn's first choice is Petrino.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 04:16:12 EST »

No Vandy Coach at Tennessee!

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Screaming Eagle Dad
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:28:32 EST »

No Vandy Coach at Tennessee!
Fulmer was an O-line coach at Vandy and he did pretty good. I'd at least interview Franklin. He can recruit and apparently he can coach.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 04:31:39 EST »

Fulmer was an O-line coach at Vandy and he did pretty good. I'd at least interview Franklin. He can recruit and apparently he can coach.

Fulmer was a former UT player and wasn't a jackass.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:35:12 EST »

Fulmer was a former UT player and wasn't a jackass.

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 04:35:18 EST »

wasn't a jackass.

This is the beginning and end of the argument against Franklin.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 04:43:25 EST »

This hire should not be made to win the press conference. Tom Osborne, Gene Stallings and Nick Saban hardly qualify as Mr. Exciting. Gary Patterson may be boring, but he wins big. Those who interview well may or may not produce.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 04:49:53 EST »

I would rather have Bobby Petrino than James Franklin. 

I am personally embarrassed to hear this 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 04:50:24 EST »

I am personally embarrassed to hear this 

I would agree

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 04:51:01 EST »

This is the beginning and end of the argument against Franklin.

Saban and Muschamp are both jackasses. I wouldn't care if our next coach was one, if he won.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 04:59:03 EST »

Saban and Muschamp are both jackasses. I wouldn't care if our next coach was one, if he won.

There's being a jackass...and then there is being a smarmy lying POS jackass.    Franklin is the latter. The guy that writes for the Nashville City Paper (Beauclaire I think) said that he knows Franklin lies, that's what coaches do, but Franklin acts like he is so much smarter than everyone and his attitude puts you off. It was a nice way to say "I can't stand the lying jackass". 

I am not sold on Franklin as a coach...Vandy has one good win this year....Ole Miss.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 05:03:02 EST »

There's being a jackass...and then there is being a smarmy lying POS jackass.    Franklin is the latter. The guy that writes for the Nashville City Paper (Beauclaire I think) said that he knows Franklin lies, that's what coaches do, but Franklin acts like he is so much smarter than everyone and his attitude puts you off. It was a nice way to say "I can't stand the lying jackass".  

I am not sold on Franklin as a coach...Vandy has one good win this year....Ole Miss.

I think you're forgetting what Vandy is, traditionally...a doormat. Vandy could win 9 games this year. They play in the SEC, and usually get about 4-5 wins a year. If someone says he lies, then it must be so? To not see Franklin has done a great job there and clearly a motivator is just putting your head in the sand and believing what you want to believe, but I know you and you're stubborn so I am not going to try and convince you otherwise.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 05:07:42 EST »

Vandy could win 9 games this year. They play in the SEC, and usually get about 4-5 wins a year. If someone says he lies, then it must be so? To not see Franklin has done a great job there and clearly a motivator is just putting your head in the sand and believing what you want to believe, but I know you and you're stubborn so I am not going to try and convince you otherwise.

I am blasted with his bullshizzle on a daily basis.  He is FOS as most of them are...he is also arrogant enough to think he is the second coming of Jesus Christ.  Vandy beat Mizzou without their starting QB, beat two teams that a high school could beat and beat the worst UT and Kentucky teams I can remember. They should have won those games.  Franklin is a good coach for Vandy...he can stay there forever but he shouldn't be considered for UT.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 05:10:46 EST »

I am blasted with his bullshizzle on a daily basis.  He is FOS as most of them are...he is also arrogant enough to think he is the second coming of Jesus Christ.  Vandy beat Mizzou without their starting QB, beat two teams that a high school could beat and beat the worst UT and Kentucky teams I can remember. They should have won those games.  Franklin is a good coach for Vandy...he can stay there forever but he shouldn't be considered for UT.

I work with data, not BS. The data on Franklin shows that he wins, and he recruits. And he is doing that in a traditional doormat. The data also suggests that he has turned Vandy from a doormat to one of the middle of the pack teams in the SEC. That's really good for Vandy. Opinions matter little. The data shows he can coach and recruit. The rest is opinion, and therefore, irrelevant.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 05:15:56 EST »

I work with data, not BS. The data on Franklin shows that he wins, and he recruits. And he is doing that in a traditional doormat. The data also suggests that he has turned Vandy from a doormat to one of the middle of the pack teams in the SEC. That's really good for Vandy. Opinions matter little. The data shows he can coach and recruit. The rest is opinion, and therefore, irrelevant.

Yeah, I got that yesterday. We disagree.  I prefer to have a coach I can like and respect not one that is an ass....we can do better than Franklin.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 05:19:35 EST »

My opinion is that Lane Kiffin + Bruce Pearl = James Franklin. If he only had the Pearl portion I'd be fine with hiring him.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 05:21:53 EST »

My opinion is that Lane Kiffin + Bruce Pearl = James Franklin. If he only had the Pearl portion I'd be fine with hiring him.

I think Kiffin's somewhat overrated as a coach. Franklin isn't. I do see some other Kiffin attributes in him though, but to my knowledge, he hasn't broken NCAA rules, and Kiffin did.

Overall, a good comparison.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 05:22:33 EST »

Yes...the first time I heard him I thought...ok good for Vandy...now I listen to hear what kind of shot is he going to take at UT and what kind of bull is he going to feed Clay Travis who fawns all over him.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 05:25:55 EST »

Yes...the first time I heard him I thought...ok good for Vandy...now I listen to hear what kind of shot is he going to take at UT and what kind of bull is he going to feed Clay Travis who fawns all over him.

well, we're making it too easy for him by getting blown out by his team. of course he will take shots at UT. He's succeeded in making UT-VU a rivalry again. We need to man up, hire a real coach, and make him eat his words. Or maybe we need to hire him.
Creek Walker
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 05:31:06 EST »

I'm intrigued by Franklin. Not sold on him, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if Tennessee hired him. My hope would be that he would settle down. Winning isn't necessarily everything. I thought Kiffin did a pretty good job at UT, but I was tired of his B.S. even before it became apparent that he was a cheater. Take away the rules violations and Franklin is Kiffin all over again.

When I look at Franklin, I see a coach who, as Volznut said, took Vandy from its position as a perennial doormat to a middle-of-the-pack SEC team. And he did it in a couple of seasons. The dude can obviously coach.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 05:58:05 EST »

I'm intrigued by Franklin. Not sold on him, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if Tennessee hired him. My hope would be that he would settle down. Winning isn't necessarily everything. I thought Kiffin did a pretty good job at UT, but I was tired of his B.S. even before it became apparent that he was a cheater. Take away the rules violations and Franklin is Kiffin all over again.

When I look at Franklin, I see a coach who, as Volznut said, took Vandy from its position as a perennial doormat to a middle-of-the-pack SEC team. And he did it in a couple of seasons. The dude can obviously coach.
PirateVOL approves this post

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: