VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 12:49:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is our QB situation?  (Read 7337 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2019, 10:24:30 EDT »

South Carolina is a must win, but if Maurer can't go what do we do. JG might be able to win, but surely Shrout could hand off too.

Plus, the latter might hit a deep ball. I'd be really tempted to get Jennings some snaps if Shrout can't do it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:08:54 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 10:29:24 EDT »

USC opened at 4.5 favorites.....If GitMoreWorse starts it goes up. He should NEVER see the field again even if we have to put a student manager at QB. JG has LOSER written all over him and has for 3 years.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 10:31:10 EDT »

I think Mauer will be ready to go.  You know he wants to.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 10:38:04 EDT »

I think Mauer will be ready to go.  You know he wants to.   

If...if he's concussed again he won't go. Two times in two weeks is 2 too much to play. Hope he does but will be shocked if he plays.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 10:48:52 EDT »

If...if he's concussed again he won't go. Two times in two weeks is 2 too much to play. Hope he does but will be shocked if he plays.

Bleah.  If so, I guess we find out how good Sheout is.  Decent chance he's not concussed though.  He was pretty livid that Pruitt pulled him, I think given what happened last week, Pruitt erred on the side of caution last night.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:53:51 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 10:50:36 EDT »

Murer, Shrout, JJ is what I would like to see.

I don't want to see GuaranTANo anywhere near the field on game days for UT again. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 10:51:29 EDT »

Jennings with some wildcat with Shrout could work!
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 10:53:19 EDT »

Jennings with some wildcat with Shrout could work!

The one pass Shrout got off, that I recall, was a decent pass. Albeit incomplete.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 10:59:54 EDT »

The one pass Shrout got off, that I recall, was a decent pass. Albeit incomplete.

Shrout has a very good arm.  He just has issues with decision making and trying to force the football where he shouldn't throw it. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 11:00:00 EDT »

Bleah.  If so, I guess we find out how good Shout is.  Decent chance he's not concussed though.  He was pretty livid that Pruitt pulled him, I think give what happened last week, Pruitt erred on the side of caution last night.

Maybe he's not....But something was up or Pruitt would have never pulled him or at least put him back in the 2nd half.. Pruitt knew we had zero chance with JG in there.
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 11:45:49 EDT »

I'm 100% done with JG. If we have to go the UK route and start JJ at QB next week, so be it.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 12:03:24 EDT »

JG should never see the field again and should have been told today to enter the transfer portal.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 01:27:48 EDT »

Here, let me draw you a depth chart:

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 02:11:20 EDT »

I can't tell if BDV's depth chart is from this week or last week.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 02:42:14 EDT »

We have a QB that can't stay on the field for more than 2 quarters.....A QB in JG that couldn't start at MTSU....and what I've seen from Shrout he needs a couple more seasons of Jim Bob Cooter holding the clipboard training and a Maryland transfer that can't play until next season. I'd say we are somewhere between a rock and a hard place.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 03:55:46 EDT »

Maybe he's not....But something was up or Pruitt would have never pulled him or at least put him back in the 2nd half.. Pruitt knew we had zero chance with JG in there.

Like I said, erred on the side of caution.

As for what JG did or didn't do, Trey Smith called it a "miscommunication".   I'd say rushing to run the play fast backfired.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 04:29:37 EDT »

As for what JG did or didn't do, Trey Smith called it a "miscommunication".   I'd say rushing to run the play fast backfired.

Watch this...Trey Smith pulling tells you where the play was supposed to go....You could have scored here.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 04:51:26 EDT »

Watch this...Trey Smith pulling tells you where the play was supposed to go....You could have scored here.

I've seen the view from the top, if that's what you are trying to post.  Wouldn't mind seeing it again.   

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 02:21:48 EDT »

I've seen the view from the top, if that's what you are trying to post.  Wouldn't mind seeing it again.   

LOL...don't know why it didn't post

https://twitter.com/allenrussell2/status/1185779983630962690?s=21
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 02:59:32 EDT »

The LT kicks out.  The LG pulls to the outside.  The FB in the game (actually TE Austin Pope lined up at FB) heads towards the left side, as does the would be ball carrier, Couch.  The center said that a play was called in the huddle, and he had no idea what happened between the huddle and the snap. 

Now, tell me again that there was miscommunication.  It was a run designed to get to the outside.  The only miscommunication came from between JG's ears.  Those guys were being good team mates and not throwing JG under the bus. 

Anybody with a damned brain could see what happened. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 03:30:43 EDT »

Those guys were being good team mates and not throwing JG under the bus. 

This
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 04:55:08 EDT »

The LT kicks out.  The LG pulls to the outside.  The FB in the game (actually TE Austin Pope lined up at FB) heads towards the left side, as does the would be ball carrier, Couch.  The center said that a play was called in the huddle, and he had no idea what happened between the huddle and the snap. 

Now, tell me again that there was miscommunication.  It was a run designed to get to the outside.  The only miscommunication came from between JG's ears.  Those guys were being good team mates and not throwing JG under the bus. 

Anybody with a damned brain could see what happened. 

This is what Jesee Simonton reported:

Tennessee's players admitted a play was called in the huddle but changed at the line

So what does "changed at the line" mean?  Did JG try to audible, or did he just go rogue like most think? If he did audible, the rest of the team didn't hear it, that could be the miscommunication part.  Makes perfect sense to anyone with a full brain.   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 05:03:44 EDT »

This is what Jesee Simonton reported:

Tennessee's players admitted a play was called in the huddle but changed at the line

So what does "changed at the line" mean?  Did JG try to audible, or did he just go rogue like most think? If he did audible, the rest of the team didn't hear it, that could be the miscommunication part.  Makes perfect sense to anyone with a full brain.  

You seem to be in "argue mode" and refuse to acknowledge the possibility that JG went rogue.

Did you see how they rushed to the line to try and run a play quickly?  There was no time for JG to survey the D and change the play via audible, and even then I also didn't see JG motion or say anything at the line to indicate he was changing the play.  That is a very reasonable conclusion based on watching the play.

I've seen all the reported comments that the TN beat writers are putting out there as well as Pruitt's comments, and it's quite obvious that these players were put on the spot and asked "what happened?" and they took the route of being a good teammate and didn't want to openly admit JG did the unthinkable.  I ask again, why did Pruitt blow up on JG the way he did if it was simply a matter of the rest of the team not hearing the audible?  And why did Trey pretty much shut down the line of questioning by saying "I don't want to get into it"?  There is simply no way all of the other 10 offensive players on the field didn't get JG's supposed audible.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:06:52 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 05:14:07 EDT »

You seem to be in "argue mode" and refuse to acknowledge the possibility that JG went rogue.

Did you see how they rushed to the line to try and run a play quickly?  There was no time for JG to survey the D and change the play via audible, and even then I also didn't see JG motion or say anything at the line to indicate he was changing the play.  That is a very reasonable conclusion based on watching the play.

I've seen all the reported comments that the TN beat writers are putting out there as well as Pruitt's comments, and it's quite obvious that these players were put on the spot and asked "what happened?" and they took the route of being a good teammate and didn't want to openly admit JG did the unthinkable.  I ask again, why did Pruitt blow up on JG the way he did if it was simply a matter of the rest of the team not hearing the audible?  And why did Trey pretty much shut down the line of questioning by saying "I don't want to get into it"?  There is simply no way all of the other 10 offensive players on the field didn't get JG's supposed audible.

Nope, not refusing it at all. Just wonder what "changing the play at the line" means.  You are right about the amount of time though, I had thought of that.  So I would defnitely lean towards he went rogue.  The blocking scheme definitely was not for a QB sneak. 

But I will say this also...take a time out, don't try to rush the play, and likely this doesn't happen.  Doesn't excuse JG, but I was not a fan of the decision to try and get the play off quickly.  Still, had JG handed the ball off, we would very likely have scored.

And yeah, I know, on the view that TnPhil posted it looks like Crouch could have walked in, but you have to factor in that the defense reacted to the sneak.  Had they seen the handoff, the hole might have been filled.

Creek Walker
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 05:28:13 EDT »

BanditVol in argue mode? Surely you jest! 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: