VTTW Board Index
May 12, 2024, 12:00:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I just don't know what to say because none of this makes any sense  (Read 1391 times)
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:00:16 EST »

The University wants to spend 340 million on a stadium that they're going to turn people away from? I just don't get it. As much as it pains me to say this, college has become a pseudo business,  and the customers will go away if they feel like the product is a waste of money

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 12:24:16 EST »

The University wants to spend 340 million on a stadium that they're going to turn people away from? I just don't get it. As much as it pains me to say this, college has become a pseudo business,  and the customers will go away if they feel like the product is a waste of money

340 million lines the pockets of large local contractors, who in turn line the pockets of politicians.

True story, the son of the sheriff of Hamilton Co was a dorm mate of mine in the late 80s at UT.  A guy who loved to party (wacky weed) and was always in trouble with pops, looking back he was a very entertaining guy, but back on topic, his family knew all manner of Tennessee politicians, as his father was obviously well connected.

Here is what he said about longtime Tennessee House Speaker Ned Ray McWhorter.  Ned Ray came from a poor rural background, at that time was paid (I think...long time ago) 35K a year or maybe 50K at most to be House Speaker, and per my buddy was "a multi-millioinaire", who "has his fingers in a lot of pies".

Then I recall a scandal of sorts when Lamar Alexander was Governor, something about some property his family owned being sold to the State of Tennessee for a road at a great profit.  But this was pretty much ignored as the state still recalled....

The Ray Blanton pardons.   

https://www.nashvillepost.com/home/article/20464607/where-are-they-now-impeachment-tennessee-style

Bottom line: plenty of "pie" to go around with a $340 million renovation.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:56:00 EST »

Well the love affair with facilities/continual upgrades is obviously corrupt. Oh well. Out of my control.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: