VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 01:10:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Really don’t like what I’m hearing tonight…  (Read 1438 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2021, 04:43:28 EDT »

…regarding Vitello and LSU. Someone talk me down off the ledge (looking at you, Herb). 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 05:30:23 EDT »

A LOT of SPECULATION but little on facts
Per the VQ staff TV is concentrating on the CWS
Till then, EVERYTHING is speculation from a wounded fan base

I personally think he stays, but given the last 10 year, who the hell knows

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 01:55:46 EDT »

I wish I could, but for the first time I believe there is at least an even chance that we lose him. 

Hearing that LSU has backchanneled a projected $2.2 million per year number to Jimmy Sexton if they get to Vitello on the short list.  And I am hearing that he's next after Brian O'Conner of Virginia. 

If it happens, it happens.  There's no way Vitello turns down LSU.  That's the best job in college baseball, hands down. They already have the facilities, support, and roster in place to be immediate CWS contenders. 

And again if it happens, as long as the UT powers that be would continue with the plans to redo Lindsey Nelson and upgrade the program we will be able to attract a quality baseball coach.  We aren't going back to Serrano days. 

And by the way, throughout all of this, I am reminded of pretty much the only statement that Derek Dooley ever made that I agree with:  It's never about the money, only about the amount of the money.  TV likes his expensive toys. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 05:33:06 EDT »

I wish I could, but for the first time I believe there is at least an even chance that we lose him. 

Hearing that LSU has backchanneled a projected $2.2 million per year number to Jimmy Sexton if they get to Vitello on the short list.  And I am hearing that he's next after Brian O'Conner of Virginia. 

If it happens, it happens.  There's no way Vitello turns down LSU.  That's the best job in college baseball, hands down. They already have the facilities, support, and roster in place to be immediate CWS contenders. 

And again if it happens, as long as the UT powers that be would continue with the plans to redo Lindsey Nelson and upgrade the program we will be able to attract a quality baseball coach.  We aren't going back to Serrano days. 

And by the way, throughout all of this, I am reminded of pretty much the only statement that Derek Dooley ever made that I agree with:  It's never about the money, only about the amount of the money.  TV likes his expensive toys. 

Sorry, but I don’t accept that. If LSU offers 2.2M, you beat it. Period. Baseball is literally the only good thing we have going right now, and history says that we WOULD go back to the Serrano days. In fact, I recall that most were saying that Serrano was a slam dunk when he was hired, and we know how that turned out. Great baseball coaches don’t just fall in UT’s lap very often. Now that we have one, we have to do whatever it takes to keep him, especially considering the shape that the rest of the AD is in.

This is Danny White’s first big test. I’m sure he was expecting to have a honeymoon period, but that’s not happening. It sucks for him that a whole string of his predecessors let baseball languish for decades, but it now falls on him to fix it.

Pay the man. Pay his staff. Give him whatever he wants facility-wise. If this fanbase takes yet another punch to the gut, you’re going to lose a huge chunk of them forever. Good luck finding donors for that big new facilities campaign if you lose the most popular coach on campus 5 months into your tenure.

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 06:02:10 EDT »

...history says that we WOULD go back to the Serrano days. In fact, I recall that most were saying that Serrano was a slam dunk when he was hired, and we know how that turned out.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I think Vitello is gone if LSU offers, and I think his players know that and that was reflected in their play on Sunday. I'm not even sure Danny White can do anything to stop it, because LSU is simply a better job than Tennessee, with more to offer. But it's about to get very ugly for White if Vitello leaves. There's a not insignificant chunk of this fan base that hasn't forgiven him for what was perceived as a buddy hire when he brought Huepel on board. When White criticized UT fans' negativity, I'm not sure he envisioned at the time that he would lose the school's most popular coach in years just five months later. Negativity is about to go through the roof.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 07:15:03 EDT »

Sorry, but I don’t accept that. If LSU offers 2.2M, you beat it. Period. Baseball is literally the only good thing we have going right now, and history says that we WOULD go back to the Serrano days. In fact, I recall that most were saying that Serrano was a slam dunk when he was hired, and we know how that turned out. Great baseball coaches don’t just fall in UT’s lap very often. Now that we have one, we have to do whatever it takes to keep him, especially considering the shape that the rest of the AD is in.

This is Danny White’s first big test. I’m sure he was expecting to have a honeymoon period, but that’s not happening. It sucks for him that a whole string of his predecessors let baseball languish for decades, but it now falls on him to fix it.

Pay the man. Pay his staff. Give him whatever he wants facility-wise. If this fanbase takes yet another punch to the gut, you’re going to lose a huge chunk of them forever. Good luck finding donors for that big new facilities campaign if you lose the most popular coach on campus 5 months into your tenure.

I understand the emotions of it. 

But, UT is not going to match that offer for a baseball coach.  They just aren't.  Nor would anybody else in the country.  Baseball is a different world at LSU than it is anywhere else. 

And I disagree on returning to Serrano days, if they build a new facility and make the same commitment that they were willing to give Vitello.  Will they be a national 3seed every year?  Of course not, but they will continue to be a very good to great program. 

And, no, there's nothing Danny White can do if LSU offers Vitello.  But the reality is that Peyton Manning and Larry Pratt have put together the opportunity to keep Vitello, not White. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 09:31:13 EDT »

I think Vitello is gone if LSU offers, and I think his players know that and that was reflected in their play on Sunday. I'm not even sure Danny White can do anything to stop it, because LSU is simply a better job than Tennessee, with more to offer. But it's about to get very ugly for White if Vitello leaves. There's a not insignificant chunk of this fan base that hasn't forgiven him for what was perceived as a buddy hire when he brought Huepel on board. When White criticized UT fans' negativity, I'm not sure he envisioned at the time that he would lose the school's most popular coach in years just five months later. Negativity is about to go through the roof.

Is there really a chunk of the fanbase upset about the "buddy hire"?  If so, they need to get a grip. The proper way to look at that is, "Thank God he's buddies with Heupel, we can at least get him". 

Sadly I am not joking.  UT football is just not an attractive job these days. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 12:04:51 EDT »

If White were to hire Greg Lovelady from UCF to replace Vitello I promise you there would be a Schiano Sunday type uprising.  There are far better getable candidates out there than Lovelady.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 03:41:56 EDT »

If Vitello leaves I wish him the best. He did a phenomenal job.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:17:01 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 06:58:48 EDT »

If Vitelli leaves I wish him the best. He did a phenomenal job.

yup

Hope he stays

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 10:26:09 EDT »

So if this is accurate then just sign the damned contract already, TV. 

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2021/06/23/lsu-baseball-coach-finalists-jay-johnson-cliff-godwin-link-jarrett/5322413001/

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: