VTTW Board Index
May 17, 2024, 12:40:25 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I was driving through Knoxville last Friday  (Read 3095 times)
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:03 EST »

and I ran across an outstanding new radio station in the area.  It appears to be out of Clinton and is WDVX.  If you like Americana, Roots Rocks and Alternative Country type music, as well as stuff like John Prine and John Hartford, give it a listen  www.wdvx.com
volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:08:14 EST »

It isn't new.  Been around for years.  WDVX Blue Plate Special.  I listen to it some, lot of bluegrass.
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:20:19 EST »

It isn't new.  Been around for years.  WDVX Blue Plate Special.  I listen to it some, lot of bluegrass.

Yeah, I heard the Blue Plate Special Friday-the Barstool Romeos were playing   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:30:04 EST »

and I ran across an outstanding new radio station in the area.  It appears to be out of Clinton and is WDVX.  If you like Americana, Roots Rocks and Alternative Country type music, as well as stuff like John Prine and John Hartford, give it a listen  www.wdvx.com

The station is probably operated by the Clinton PD to distract you from their dozens of speed traps as you drive through town.

Seriously, I hate that place.  Trying to drive across that town without getting pulled over is like navigating a minefield.  I got a ticket there a few years ago because one of the two lights that illuminate my license plate was out. 

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 09:37:44 EST »

The station is probably operated by the Clinton PD to distract you from their dozens of speed traps as you drive through town.

Seriously, I hate that place.  Trying to drive across that town without getting pulled over is like navigating a minefield.  I got a ticket there a few years ago because one of the two lights that illuminate my license plate was out. 

It's Anderson County in general. I have a running personal boycott of Oak Ridge that has been in place ever since I got a ticket for going four miles over the speed limit and being busted by one of their speed cameras. Going through Oak Ridge used to be the easiest way for me to get from West Knoxville to home and I spent quite a bit of money in that little dried up town. Now I laugh every time I see another major business closing its doors. One would think that if their town was dying a slow economic death like Oak Ridge that they would do all they could to encourage outsiders to come in and spend their money there rather than ticketing them for extremely minor violations.

I'll never stop in that town again as long as they have the speed cameras. I still have to drive through it occasionally, but I stop and eat and gas up before I get there or after I've gone through. They don't miss my tax dollars, of course, but if everyone who is targeted by their speed traps did the same, they'd sure feel it. Too bad that the old geezers who run the town fancy it as still being "The Secret City" and don't want businesses or outsiders, but I'll bet the shopkeepers sure would like to see more business...and maybe the folks who operate their "shopping mall" (such as it is).
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 09:47:04 EST »

When I lived in Powell I used to go up there all the time.  I had a summer temp job at a plant up there.  I guess the Clinton PD hadn't latched onto this surefire money making scheme yet (this was probably the late 70s).   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:59:46 EST »

It's Anderson County in general. I have a running personal boycott of Oak Ridge that has been in place ever since I got a ticket for going four miles over the speed limit and being busted by one of their speed cameras. Going through Oak Ridge used to be the easiest way for me to get from West Knoxville to home and I spent quite a bit of money in that little dried up town. Now I laugh every time I see another major business closing its doors. One would think that if their town was dying a slow economic death like Oak Ridge that they would do all they could to encourage outsiders to come in and spend their money there rather than ticketing them for extremely minor violations.

I'll never stop in that town again as long as they have the speed cameras. I still have to drive through it occasionally, but I stop and eat and gas up before I get there or after I've gone through. They don't miss my tax dollars, of course, but if everyone who is targeted by their speed traps did the same, they'd sure feel it. Too bad that the old geezers who run the town fancy it as still being "The Secret City" and don't want businesses or outsiders, but I'll bet the shopkeepers sure would like to see more business...and maybe the folks who operate their "shopping mall" (such as it is).

I lived in Oak Ridge for a couple years.  While it is (or was, they didn't have traffic cameras then) bad, Clinton was much, much worse.  And that was mainly because the Anderson County Sheriff's deputies weren't permitted to patrol in the OR City limits.  So the bulk of their presence was concentrated on the only other sizable town in AC, Clinton.  Throw in the fact that Clinton also has their own PD, and you had at least twice the police presence as OR in a city about a third the size.  Seriously, it got so bad that I didn't even want to make trips to my best friend's house, because he lived in Clinton.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: