VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 09:31:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coaching and UT's OL..  (Read 2415 times)
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2012, 01:56:59 EST »

In 2011, UT's OL couldn't run block to save its life under Harry Hiestand.  But UT's talent at OL did just fine at run blocking in 2012 under Sam Pittman.  It begs the question, what happened with Hiestand at UT?   Did he forget how to coach OL?  The answer is no, because he's now prepping Notre Dame's OL for the MNC game.  So what was the issue with UT's OL in 2011?

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:58:37 EST »

In 2011, UT's OL couldn't run block to save its life under Harry Hiestand.  But UT's talent at OL did just fine at run blocking in 2012 under Sam Pittman.  It begs the question, what happened with Hiestand at UT?   Did he forget how to coach OL?  The answer is no, because he's now prepping Notre Dame's OL for the MNC game.  So what was the issue with UT's OL in 2011?

Hiestand
His constant berating of the OL resulted in them tuning them out.  Sorta like Sal with the defense this year

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 02:07:21 EST »

Probably something to what Pirate said, though I have no idea.   I will point out that our OL was still relatively inexperienced last year, although most of them had a year under their belts and almost a full season's worth of starts.  But I also think Chaney and Dooley overstressed the pass last year in spring and preseason practice, trying to take advantage of our strengths, and that bit them when the passing offense was riddled with injuries.   Those are just my  thoughts, TIFIW.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 02:11:14 EST »

Probably something to what Pirate said, though I have no idea.   I will point out that our OL was still relatively inexperienced last year, although most of them had a year under their belts and almost a full season's worth of starts.  But I also think Chaney and Dooley overstressed the pass last year in spring and preseason practice, trying to take advantage of our strengths, and that bit them when the passing offense was riddled with injuries.   Those are just my  thoughts, TIFIW.
The other pievce was that our RBs flat sucked last year.  Even more so than Pittman Graham made a huge difference in our run game.  Neal picked it up faster but by the end of the season even Lane was running hard North and South.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:17:42 EST »

Sounds reasonable.  Thanks.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 04:44:59 EST »

The other pievce was that our RBs flat sucked last year.  Even more so than Pittman Graham made a huge difference in our run game.  Neal picked it up faster but by the end of the season even Lane was running hard North and South.

Yep, Graham deserves a ton of credit.  THE highest priority for retention.   

And maybe down the road, a certain backfield reunion can take place.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: