VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 10:20:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Copa Mundial!  (Read 4315 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2014, 07:23:49 EDT »

The most viewed sporting event in the world starts today with Brazil vs Croatia. I am a big soccer fan, played it and follow it.

Those who like the game - who ya got?

Brasil is the home country and the favorite. I'd say they will win, but watch our for Argentina.

Germany and Spain have great teams, but this event is usually won by the home continent.

I'll be happy if the US can advance but I don't see it.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:51:08 EDT »

What is this footbol?
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:58:55 EDT »

2 cups in a row with a tough draw. Portugal, Germany this time. It would be cool to be paired with England, France, Ghana. That seems doable, but I know very little about soccer. I will watch some though. Good excuse to go to the bar for beers!
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 03:12:33 EDT »

BRASIL, BABY!!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 04:16:26 EDT »

It seems like Argentina was a darkhorse favorite last time also, and they didn't do much.

Underwhelmed with them today also.  All anyone can talk about is how Messi is the new Maradonna and it's just like 1994 all over again, but I don't see it.  I think they go out in the semis or even the quarters.

It's between Germany and Brazil IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 06:09:42 EDT »

It seems like Argentina was a darkhorse favorite last time also, and they didn't do much.

Underwhelmed with them today also.  All anyone can talk about is how Messi is the new Maradonna and it's just like 1994 all over again, but I don't see it.  I think they go out in the semis or even the quarters.

It's between Germany and Brazil IMO.

Netherlands impressed

ErnienBernie
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 02:04:07 EDT »

The Nederland win over Spain likely improved their chances a lot. Certainly the home nation team is the favorite. I like Germany unless the Schweinstieger injury in practice limits him. While it's iffy if the USA gets out of the group of death, I really like this team and I like the direction Klinsmann is taking them in. Another noticeable fact is the growth of popularity of the sports here in the states.  In Iurmingham, AL of all places, there are quite a few venues competing to draw soccer fans and the fans are showing up in large numbers.
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 04:01:56 EDT »

I was surprised to hear the US coach say we didn't have a chance. Was he trying to make the players more determined to prove him wrong or letting them know it's no biggie when they lose?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 04:14:11 EDT »

I was surprised to hear the US coach say we didn't have a chance. Was he trying to make the players more determined to prove him wrong or letting them know it's no biggie when they lose?

That was taken out of context. He said , paraphrasing, that we don't have a shot unless we advance past our group, so that's his first focus.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 06:44:47 EDT »

That was taken out of context. He said , paraphrasing, that we don't have a shot unless we advance past our group, so that's his first focus.

But if that's what he HAD been saying, he wouldn't have been wrong.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 09:14:37 EDT »

But if that's what he HAD been saying, he wouldn't have been wrong.

That's why they play the game!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: