VTTW Board Index
May 14, 2024, 05:49:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what's everyone hoping/praying to see on Saturday?  (Read 2565 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2020, 07:10:08 EDT »

I'm 100% back into year 1 "show me" mode on Pruitt.  I don't want another coaching search but I've got some serious concerns.

We don't have a chance against Bama (what else is new), but what are you guys looking for on Saturday to give you any hope?

We all expect JG to start, I'm sure.  So it will be telling to see how long JG stays in the game.
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 08:45:11 EDT »

I would say that I hope the defense plays reasonably well, the O-line holds its own, we keep the game respectable, and exit it with hope that the rest of the season is all wins.

But how many times have we seen those goals accomplished during JP's tenure, only to go right back to square one? Last year against Alabama we had done all of that. The D played well enough, the O-line held its own, it was respectable; we were down 28-13 on the goal line, and our head case QB fumbled the ball and gave up a 100-yard defensive score. I don't plan to watch Saturday if JG is the starter because I'm tired of seeing kids fight their guts out only to have him screw the pooch. I've also come to the realization that we could play well enough to feel good about ourselves this week, only to get embarrassed by Vanderbilt later this year. It's like a miserable carousel ride and I don't have any desire to go around one more time. As a fan, I'm exhausted.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 08:56:20 EDT »

I just hope it is a game we can come away from seeing some silver linings for the rest of the season. I am just tired of bad-mouthing JG. Kid has some heart. I just hope he plays well enough to keep it closer than we think. It won't be easy. I was watching ESPN's early Heisman favorites. Bama has at least four on it. The two WR's, RB Harris and QB Jones. They all have big numbers so far. Jones numbers are better than Burrows were at the same point last year.  Ain't that some shizzle?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 09:24:00 EDT »

I just hope it is a game we can come away from seeing some silver linings for the rest of the season. I am just tired of bad-mouthing JG. Kid has some heart. I just hope he plays well enough to keep it closer than we think. It won't be easy. I was watching ESPN's early Heisman favorites. Bama has at least four on it. The two WR's, RB Harris and QB Jones. They all have big numbers so far. Jones numbers are better than Burrows were at the same point last year.  Ain't that some shizzle?

Yes Perry, we all know how you love Bammer. Thanks for, once again, showing your true colors.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 09:24:36 EDT »

No internal fights between our coaches on the sideline. Hope they wait until they are in the locker room.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 09:28:43 EDT »

I would say that I hope the defense plays reasonably well, the O-line holds its own, we keep the game respectable, and exit it with hope that the rest of the season is all wins.

But how many times have we seen those goals accomplished during JP's tenure, only to go right back to square one? Last year against Alabama we had done all of that. The D played well enough, the O-line held its own, it was respectable; we were down 28-13 on the goal line, and our head case QB fumbled the ball and gave up a 100-yard defensive score. I don't plan to watch Saturday if JG is the starter because I'm tired of seeing kids fight their guts out only to have him screw the pooch. I've also come to the realization that we could play well enough to feel good about ourselves this week, only to get embarrassed by Vanderbilt later this year. It's like a miserable carousel ride and I don't have any desire to go around one more time. As a fan, I'm exhausted.

Agree that it has been inconsistent under Pruitt, unfortunately.  But not really week to week. There have been about four phases.  We looked pretty weak early season 1, so that's Phase 1.  Then we beat Auburn and Kentucky, giving us hope, Phase 2.  Then we slumped at the end of season 1 losing to Mizzou and Vandy, and didn't just lose but lost badly, which then carried over to the first 5 games or so of season 2, so that's Phase 3.  Then the 8 game win streak, optimism abounds, Phase 4.  Now we appear to be at the start of another slump, unfortunately.

Pruitt has now coached 29 games including the bowl game, and they seem to break into phases of about 7-8 games each in which we do relatively well or bad, sometimes really bad.  It is a puzzler, but the fact that he can at least sustain the good times gives me some hope.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 09:41:53 EDT »

I'm 100% back into year 1 "show me" mode on Pruitt.  I don't want another coaching search but I've got some serious concerns.

We don't have a chance against Bama (what else is new), but what are you guys looking for on Saturday to give you any hope?

We all expect JG to start, I'm sure.  So it will be telling to see how long JG stays in the game.

Vinnnie to answer your original question, I'll give a two-parter.  For the entire team, I would like to see evidence that they hold their own against Bammer for a while.  At least a half like uga, but more consistency.  Taking the lead at some point in the game other than the first drive or two would be nice. And like you say, more consistency from the OL and a good defensive effort.  I would love for whoever our QB is to have a great game, but if it's JG I have (like everyone) my doubts.

Now specifically about QB, I have said below about JG that I would be okay with him starting if on a short leash.  What I didn't explain below is that I am partly taking that position because it seems likely anyway.  So I am saying if he fizzles up early, get him out early this time at least.  And again, although some QBs have done well starting against bammer in their first game, for Chrisake, Saban was not the coach!  In 2001, Clausen did well (I recall a great play where his helmet was knocked off).  Yes, against Franchione in a year they went 7-5, and in a year we still had tons of literal NC talent and shoulda coulda gone to the NC.  There is no comparison!  Bammer is either the best or second best (with a nod to Clemson) team in the country, and I have also heard (credibly) that Harrison missed a lot of practice for COVID and quarantine.

So yeah, go ahead and let JG start. Maybe he won't fumble on the 5 in literally his first pass play like he did two years ago, and hey, that will be an improvement!  At least the OL (in theory) will block better this game).

And there is a much better, more recent and relevant analogy than Clausen 01.  Dobbs relieved Petersen in 2014 against bammer, and the results with Dobbs for the rest of his career speak for themselves.  The next two years were the best of Butch's tenure and the best the Vols have achieved since 2006-07 (and actually not much worse than those two years).

So this more than anything is what I am looking for, what do we do in this game about the QB situation, and do we come out of it with any hope.  There is almost zero expectation we beat bammer.  Why not give some other QBs a shot?  (I prefer Baily but basically anyone but JG at this point).

Having said all that, JG is SO inconsistent that he might just play the game of his life and surprise us pleasantly.  Not holding my breath though.  
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:34:10 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 09:47:29 EDT »

Agree that it has been inconsistent under Pruitt, unfortunately.  But not really week to week. There have been about four phases.  We looked pretty weak early season 1, so that's Phase 1.  Then we beat Auburn and Kentucky, giving us hope, Phase 2.  Then we slumped at the end of season 1 losing to Mizzou and Vandy, and didn't just lose but lost badly, which then carried over to the first 5 games or so of season 2, so that's Phase 3.  Then the 8 game win streak, optimism abounds, Phase 4.  Now we appear to be at the start of another slump, unfortunately.

Pruitt has now coached 29 games including the bowl game, and they seem to break into phases of about 7-8 games each in which we do relatively well or bad, sometimes really bad.  It is a puzzler, but the fact that he can at least sustain the good times gives me some hope.

This is a nit, but really I would lump all of season 1 up to the Kentucky game into its own phase, a phase where no one knew what PRuitt would do but it seemed to take a turn for the better.  Thus we now enter Phase 4 instead of 5, but whatever, just being nitpicky.

But mostly I wanted to add this about Pruitt, which I am sure others have noticed.  While he seems to have the team motivated and disciplined in most games, when the wheels come off, they come off hard. Examples are the last two games against Vandy and Mizzou in season 1, GSU last year, Kentucky this year, vs how hard we played in most every game last half of last season, and even the bammer game last year, and the first two games of this year.  Then the whole team just laid down against Kentucky.  It's like Pruitt is binary, when the effort is there from the team it can be great, but when it's not, it just goes to zero, no in between.  Its very strange actually.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 10:51:03 EDT »

Last year against them, we were two scores down and had the ball on the goal line but of course what came next was the worst of JG so I can't even talk about that game without getting mad but... last year's game against them, felt somewhat competitive for the most part.

Was kind of hoping for a miracle and we see some of that same fight.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 02:35:01 EDT »

Last year against them, we were two scores down and had the ball on the goal line but of course what came next was the worst of JG so I can't even talk about that game without getting mad but... last year's game against them, felt somewhat competitive for the most part.

Was kind of hoping for a miracle and we see some of that same fight.

Yep.  Was thinking the same thing. After Kentucky I have little faith that they will, but I am still going to hope. 

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 04:33:29 EDT »

Yes Perry, we all know how you love Bammer. Thanks for, once again, showing your true colors.  

Why do you still think I'm a Bammer fan. They are the devil. I'm just telling you the talent difference we have with them. Like it or not they are still the bar all SEC teams (no.. all college teams) hope to achieve. It just makes me laugh that all you can come up with after that post is that I'm a Bama fan. I've been here as long or longer than any of you. I shouldn't have to verify my Vol for life status.  I can't help it if you and others don't want to hear the actual truth about things.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:23:14 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 06:41:02 EDT »

For maybe the second time this season, I'd like to see a Big Orange team come out onto the field ready to play - mentally and physically.  Minimal bonehead miscues and minimal stupid fizzleing fizzle fizzle penalties.  I'd be happy with that no matter who is the QB.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 07:06:01 EDT »

For maybe the second time this season, I'd like to see a Big Orange team come out onto the field ready to play - mentally and physically.  Minimal bonehead miscues and minimal stupid fizzleing fizzle fizzle penalties.  I'd be happy with that no matter who is the QB.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 09:52:48 EDT »

Yep!

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 11:23:51 EDT »

Why do you still think I'm a Bammer fan. They are the devil. I'm just telling you the talent difference we have with them. Like it or not they are still the bar all SEC teams (no.. all college teams) hope to achieve. It just makes me laugh that all you can come up with after that post is that I'm a Bama fan. I've been here as long or longer than any of you. I shouldn't have to verify my Vol for life status.  I can't help it if you and others don't want to hear the actual truth about things.

BTW, turns out what you said wasn't even true.  While Matt Jones has some nice numbers, at this point in the season last year, against Burrows had more TDs (15 to 12) and a higher completion percentage than Jones.

So....wtf?  Understand that it does make you look like you just can't help praising bammer. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 12:37:46 EDT »

Regardless what any Tennessee fan was hoping to see today, I don't think they saw it.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 12:44:22 EDT »

BTW, turns out what you said wasn't even true.  While Matt Jones has some nice numbers, at this point in the season last year, against Burrows had more TDs (15 to 12) and a higher completion percentage than Jones.

So....wtf?  Understand that it does make you look like you just can't help praising bammer. 
well you can blame Joel Klatt. That's where I got it.

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 02:11:16 EDT »

Regardless what any Tennessee fan was hoping to see today, I don't think they saw it.

What we keep seeing is too much mediocrity.  our Offense is so middle of the road it is laughable.  It's like a "going through the motions" kind of offense.  It is no real threat to any good team.  We have a really lackluster coaching staff.  I would not say they are terrible, but they are nowhere near being great.  So sad that it hurts.  We are going nowhere fast but we'll be comfortable right in the middle of the pack - yee ha.     
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 02:16:04 EDT by Coupe De VOL » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2020, 02:15:55 EDT »

I didn't.

Last year after the Bama loss... I felt proud of the effort.  Felt hopeful for the future.

I do not feel this way today.  I feel like we are worse than a year ago, covid or no covid. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2020, 02:21:17 EDT »

What we keep seeing is too much mediocrity.  our Offense is so middle of the road it is laughable.  It's like a "going through the motions" kind of offense.  It is no real threat to any good team.  We have a really lackluster coaching staff.  I would not say they are terrible, but they are nowhere near being great.  So sad that it hurts.  We are going nowhere fast but we'll be comfortable right in the middle of the pack - yee ha.     

It felt like our coaches knew we didn't have a chance today.  I look around the league at first year coaches who have every reason to ho hum it through this year and instead they are playing to win every week.  And we are not.  Makes me sick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: