VTTW Board Index
May 30, 2024, 03:08:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SEC not considering 14th team  (Read 5194 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:28:59 EDT »

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7027691/sec-not-considering-other-schools-14th-member-according-commissioner-mike-slive

Is Slive CHA (Covering His Ass) in case we don't get the 14th, or is he serious about going with 13 next season.

I understand the great emphasis on the business end...get Tamu while we can, improve TV ratings, open up the Texass market, etc, but if adding a 13th and not balancing it completely screws up schedules and upsets the fans...well then, he is making a very fundamental business mistake.  Never forget who the customer is!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
101stDad
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:51:02 EDT »

That's got to be a CYA move.  There is no way the SEC is going to sit on an uneven number of teams.  It just doesn't make good sense. 

He says that the SEC hasn't "initiated" any conversations.  That can be interpreted in several different ways. 

Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:05:31 EDT »

Agree, that was a CYA response from Slive.  That said, while an even number (e.g., 14) of teams makes perfect sense in the intermediate to long term, it is more important that the right team be added, after A&M.   If the SEC rushes to add another team, its risks being stuck with a team that it realistically can't get rid of.  So, it is more important that the right school be added as #14, even if that takes 2-3 years from now to accomplish the due dilligence and strike the deal.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 12:20:16 EDT »

What Jedi said. Bringing in Dalton Community College to get to 14 is a worse idea than living with 13. That having been said I'm with Bandit on remembering the customer.

My theory is now that OU and Texas are keepin the Big12 together Mizzou can walk with impunity.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 02:20:33 EDT »

One thing I do not doubt about Mike Slive: his business sense! I think he has an incredibly sharp business mind.

Another thing: you might recall during the media days, Slive said he could have a 16 team league within 30 minutes if he wanted to do so.

G
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:22:58 EDT by GreggO » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:26:29 EDT »

One thing I do not doubt about Mike Slive: his business sense! I think he has an incredibly sharp business mind.

Another thing: you might recall during the media days, Slive said he could have a 16 team league within 30 minutes if he wanted to do so.

G

It's possible to overemphasize the business aspects and lose sight of the real heart and soul of what it's all about.  Mike Hamilton did exactly that IMO.  Great business mind...but maybe he kind of forgot the sports end of it.

I really don't want a 13-team league for any amount of time and I don't think many fans do.   It will be interesting to see the reactions if it happens. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:32:30 EDT »

I do hear you on quality control for the 14th team though.   I really have no concern on that from Slive.  Whatever team we add, will be a good fit.

As for his "16 teams in 30 minutes" comment.  Well, sure, yeah.  Hate to see what the other 3 would be though.  

I never said this because it's considered a non-starter, but hell, just add FSU.  They fit well geographically, culturally, academically, and I even buy the argument that they add TV value in the Florida market.  And even if that isn't so, doesn't national brand recognition count for something?  I have to figure the whole college-football fanbase in the entire country has heard of FSU.

But don't forget the best reason....Hogtown will simply implode with rage.    
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:36:40 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 02:46:59 EDT »

I do hear you on quality control for the 14th team though.   I really have no concern on that from Slive.  Whatever team we add, will be a good fit.

As for his "16 teams in 30 minutes" comment.  Well, sure, yeah.  Hate to see what the other 3 would be though.  

I never said this because it's considered a non-starter, but hell, just add FSU.  They fit well geographically, culturally, academically, and I even buy the argument that they add TV value in the Florida market.  And even if that isn't so, doesn't national brand recognition count for something?  I have to figure the whole college-football fanbase in the entire country has heard of FSU.

But don't forget the best reason....Hogtown will simply implode with rage.    

I think FSU would be a great fit.  As for the East, if we can't get UNC (aint happening) or VPI (too scared to join a real league), they would be the best choice.  No, they don't expand our footprint or add any new markets, but they are a national brand who would draw higher ratings whenever they're on.  UF would try to block them, and as long as UF's puppet is in the commisioner's office, it probably won't happen.  But they would be a very solid addition. 

GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 03:04:43 EDT »

I really don't want a 13-team league for any amount of time and I don't think many fans do.   It will be interesting to see the reactions if it happens. 

Oh, I'm with you all the way there, brother. But, I don't think a 13 team league will last more than one year (if at all). And, I think Slive has something up his sleeve he's not ready to discuss publicly right now. Everything could change before the end of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if 3 more teams didn't come on board, but I do believe at least one more team will be with us.

G
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:16:24 EDT »

I think FSU would be a great fit.  As for the East, if we can't get UNC (aint happening) or VPI (too scared to join a real league), they would be the best choice.  No, they don't expand our footprint or add any new markets, but they are a national brand who would draw higher ratings whenever they're on.  UF would try to block them, and as long as UF's puppet is in the commisioner's office, it probably won't happen.  But they would be a very solid addition. 

I don't think FSU wants to leave the ACC; they give up too much being in a weaker BCS league right now. There's too much to compete with joining the SEC. I'd love to se it; don't get me wrong, but I don't think it will happen.

I was living in Charleston, SC when the Cocks came on board and I predicted that them joining would surely improve their stock. I was wrrr.., wrrrr..., mistaken. Nearly 20 years later they are getting there. But, look at the impression that might have given a lot of teams on the east coast. I just don't think FSU has a lot to gain (other than a few more million $$$'s) when it probably won't help their recruiting or BCS chances.

I still think Slive has something up his sleeve that will serve the SEC well when the timing is right.

G

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 07:40:51 EDT »

I don't think FSU wants to leave the ACC; they give up too much being in a weaker BCS league right now. There's too much to compete with joining the SEC. I'd love to se it; don't get me wrong, but I don't think it will happen.
  Right.  THat's why I said it's "considered a non-starter".  BUt it makes logical sense, other than them probably not being interested.

I was living in Charleston, SC when the Cocks came on board and I predicted that them joining would surely improve their stock. I was wrrr.., wrrrr..., mistaken. Nearly 20 years later they are getting there. But, look at the impression that might have given a lot of teams on the east coast. I just don't think FSU has a lot to gain (other than a few more million $$$'s) when it probably won't help their recruiting or BCS chances..

Well USC is a historically~0.500 team that had won one conference championship in their entire history and only gone to a handful of bowls.  So I expected them to be in the middle somehwere but the bottom half of that and pretty much that's what they did.  However they do have one of the bigger fanbases around and decent recruiting so I am not surprised that Holtz and SOS have been able to build them into contenders.  In spite of their more recent struggles, FSU has plenty of (relatively recent) tradition and tons of recruites so I think they can come in and compete almost right away

I still think Slive has something up his sleeve that will serve the SEC well when the timing is right.

I have almost no doubt he does.  I seem to recall that at one point he denied that Tamu was coming into the conference.  Whatever it is, he won't tip his hand.  We will just have to wait and see.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: