VTTW Board Index
May 13, 2024, 11:28:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How about an onside kick to start the 2H?  (Read 3087 times)
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2017, 03:41:47 EDT »

Even if we don't recover, the way GT is moving the ball if the defense would be on the field for a shorter amount of time (they've got to be getting tired) and there would be more game time left to work with.
What do you think?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 03:42:25 EDT »

Even if we don't recover, the way GT is moving the ball if the defense would be on the field for a shorter amount of time (they've got to be getting tired) and there would be more game time left to work with.
What do you think?
good idea
Nice to see you back

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 04:14:34 EDT »

Thanks.
Unfortunately we'd have no such luck and nothing was any different on that first drive, offense or defense.
Just think how bad this would be if we didn't have all summer to prepare.
This is the most disappointed I've been in a long time.
We need a miracle at this point.
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 06:48:25 EDT »

So I guess Paul Bain blocking the game winning field goal, and getting the W despite giving up 535 yards rushing, a UT historical worst, qualifies as a miracle.
What's the last UT win that qualifies as an equal or greater miracle?
Two that come to mind for are LSU in 2005 and Notre Dame in 1991.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 06:49:31 EDT »

So I guess Paul Bain blocking the game winning field goal, and getting the W despite giving up 535 yards rushing, a UT historical worst, qualifies as a miracle.
What's the last UT win that qualifies as an equal or greater miracle?
Two that come to mind for are LSU in 2005 and Notre Dame in 1991.

2016 Georgia.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 06:54:22 EDT »

2016 Georgia.

Lol, and right now a goal line stand tonight vs GT seems like more of a miracle than the hail mary.
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 07:06:45 EDT »

2016 UGA didn't feel like tonight to me. Despite the deficit never being more than a 14 points it seemed like it would take a miracle to win because we had no answer for the GT rushing attack. The UGA game last year, and even in 2015 when UT was down big in the 1H, seemed like games where a win was still possible, not miraculous. To me anyway.
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 07:12:40 EDT »

I think in terms of sheer probability, the 2016 Georgia game takes the prize. Tonight we were never out of it. Two scores is not difficult to overcome...even though ESPN's talking idiots (Reece and Kirk; I'm not a fan of either) seemed to think so and, yes, most of us fans did, too (myself included).

But it was just about big-time plays at the right time. Some would say GaTech gave the game away by stopping themselves when UT couldn't. Maybe. But that was a heads-up play by Gaulden to knock the ball loose late in the fourth quarter. Obviously if GaTech scores there it is lights out. Paul Bain getting his big mitt up enough to block what was little more than a chip shot field goal. Taylor stuffing Marshall on the two-point conversion try.

I guess I'm with Vinnie. That stand in the second OT was darn near miraculous, given the way the D had played for most of the game. I, for one, did not think we could stop them there.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 11:49:24 EDT »

I think in terms of sheer probability, the 2016 Georgia game takes the prize. Tonight we were never out of it. Two scores is not difficult to overcome...even though ESPN's talking idiots (Reece and Kirk; I'm not a fan of either) seemed to think so and, yes, most of us fans did, too (myself included).

But it was just about big-time plays at the right time. Some would say GaTech gave the game away by stopping themselves when UT couldn't. Maybe. But that was a heads-up play by Gaulden to knock the ball loose late in the fourth quarter. Obviously if GaTech scores there it is lights out. Paul Bain getting his big mitt up enough to block what was little more than a chip shot field goal. Taylor stuffing Marshall on the two-point conversion try.

I guess I'm with Vinnie. That stand in the second OT was darn near miraculous, given the way the D had played for most of the game. I, for one, did not think we could stop them there.
I suspect the defense knew the counter was coming and perhaps baited it.  If you look at the play the entire left side played the counter.
Also, don't underestimate the value of back to back TOs allow the defense a breather.  after almost a 100 snaps that was invaluable.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 03:44:49 EDT »

Quasi-miraculous 

But let's not sugar coat the fact that this is the most rushing yards allowed by a Tennessee defense.  Ever.     Against a new QB, who, in spite of Kirk and Reece's knob-slobbering, likely and unfortunately looks a lot better than he is by virtue of the fact that he played us.

It looks as though this D has reverted to it's November form when we allowed both Missouri and Kentucky 400+ yards rushing.  The thing that gets me is that it wasn't just "option trickeration".  Their bread and butter seemed to consist of running straight at our DL on first down and consistently gashing it for 4-5 yards. That isn't going to cut it from here on out.

Did that year off in HS really soften Kahill that much?  I'm beginning to think so.

Having said that, I am very grateful and appreciative that the D made some key plays and pulled this one out. 

But oh boy, do we have something to worry about.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: