VTTW Board Index
May 16, 2024, 11:07:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Special teams is key in this game  (Read 2950 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2013, 03:23:08 EDT »

Palardy's punting was a key to the SCe game. If we can keep Bama pinned in we have a shot.

Also need 2 turnovers from bama, and need to commit none.

We do this we're in the game in the 4th with a chance to win at the end. Bama has the talent and depth advantage. Special teams and turnovers are the equalizer.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 03:25:20 EDT »

agree

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:42:45 EDT »

matter where they get the ball, they'll simply march down the field and wear our defense down....I don't fear their pass game nearly as much as their run game. We have to keep our D as fresh as possible which means very few 3 and outs on offense and keeping Bama's run game under control. Turnovers would definitely help our offense and we really need a couple, the scoring variety would be greatly appreciated. GO BIG ORANGE!!!! 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 04:34:41 EDT »

I have no expectations other than the team to fight hard and hope they make it a 4 quarter game.  I hope they win but IMHO unless the offense takes a quantum leap and the defense scores we will not generate enough points to make it close in the 4th.

Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 05:05:25 EDT »

It's gonna take more than special teams, IMO...but I wouldn't mind being wrong.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 06:47:01 EDT »

Palardy's punting was a key to the SCe game. If we can keep Bama pinned in we have a shot.

Also need 2 turnovers from bama, and need to commit none.

We do this we're in the game in the 4th with a chance to win at the end. Bama has the talent and depth advantage. Special teams and turnovers are the equalizer.

I think turnovers are more important than special teams, but if we can get a return for a TD or block,that will work as well.  It's true that the excellent punting and return coverage is a big advantage.

We really only have two weakneseses...rush D and passing O.  I am not as concerned about the latter, but if bammer can run on us it might be a long day.   I don't expect them to have a great day throwing it, so stopping their run game is key.

I think the odds of us getting a pick are very good, and Yeldon is a known fumbler.  So the turnovers are there for the taking, IMO.

What's interesting is that many Vol fans believe we don't give up many rush yards between the tackles due to McCullers.  But there is no way to quantify that....I don't think there is a site that tracks inside vs outside rush attempt D, but based even on my own viewing of the games, it's definitely true that our obvious weakness vs the run is letting teams get to the outside.  Perhaps a lack of speed at DL and/or LB there, IDK.

But here's the deal...bammer loves to run between the tackles and then do play action pass.  If they get stubborn about running inside, we have a chance to slow their run game. 

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:07:35 EDT »

It's gonna take more than special teams, IMO...but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

Of course... I just named what I feel will be a key. To beat a team like Bama we have to be on in all facets of our game, and force them to make mistakes. However, are they that much better than USCe or Georgia?

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:12:32 EDT »

Of course... I just named what I feel will be a key. To beat a team like Bama we have to be on in all facets of our game, and force them to make mistakes. However, are they that much better than USCe or Georgia?

I think so. I think 2 TDs better than either, plus the fact that we're playing in a hostile environment and have not played well at all in our two road games.

I do think we match up decently with Alabama's offense...I just don't see us being able to score enough points to win or even to take it deep into the 4th quarter. But I do love a pleasant surprise every now and then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: