VTTW Board Index
May 15, 2024, 09:36:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heupel  (Read 1854 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2021, 07:32:12 EST »

1 We were able to get him fast and without fuss. A big plus considering.
2 Very good offensive mind, thats what it takes nowadays
3 Helps that he was a stud QB  in college and won an NC
4 proven record of winning, although a bit of an asterisk as he inherited from Frost
5 Has relative youth and energy
6 clearly not afraid of a challenge

Will he be "the guy". No idea, but I will at least  tune in and see. Had Pruitt come back I might not even watch this fall

Good luck CJH
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:34:00 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 08:16:09 EST »

I just don't see Heupel succeeding here. I hope I'm wrong, because he's what we've got. But I can't get excited about the hire and it's disappointing to me that we went big in hiring the AD that we hired, only for him to bring his coach with him in what sure has the appearances of a package deal.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 08:53:03 EST »

Wonder how Steele still fits into the picture? He is a good DC. Hope he didn't have any wishes of being HC. If he sticks around it would not be a bad thing. Heupel will call the plays won't he? That's already an improvement from Chaney. I guess we will let them do their thing and we will see what happens.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 08:59:23 EST »

I just don't see Heupel succeeding here. I hope I'm wrong, because he's what we've got. But I can't get excited about the hire and it's disappointing to me that we went big in hiring the AD that we hired, only for him to bring his coach with him in what sure has the appearances of a package deal.
After the PC I am beginning to see that the "open kimono" statements by Plowman hurt us BADLY in the coaching search.  If you look at both the new coach's and AD's responses to the questions, and their attempted minimizations it stands out in stark relief.
I believe that several coaches turned down opportunities that they were "never offered"

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:04:07 EST »

After the PC I am beginning to see that the "open kimono" statements by Plowman hurt us BADLY in the coaching search.  If you look at both the new coach's and AD's responses to the questions, and their attempted minimizations it stands out in stark relief.
I believe that several coaches turned down opportunities that they were "never offered"

explain further please, I had a call during the PC and I missed it

11B4PJ3F7
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 09:10:53 EST »

Coaching searches a lot of the time are not as they seem to the fans.

AD to Agent.....Would your client entertain a interview for the opening we currently have?
Agent.....No....not interested.
AD....OK, thanks.

And yes....Plowman stood before the world and burned it all down to the ground.....I have never ever seen something like that happen before. Still can't believe what I heard.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 09:15:25 EST »

explain further please, I had a call during the PC and I missed it
Heupel called the forthcoming NCAA sanctions a "speedbump"
DW statements:
he made one (1) offer, to Heupel.
Stated that he had not intended to go after Heupel
Stated he spoke with (and also at one point "interviewed") multiple persons
Said that he had "learned" through the process
Used every opportunity to attempt to minimize the sanctions

Personal opinion, DW was not transparent nor forthcoming during the PC

Also, I am not at all happy with the hire but differing from my multiple pronouncements when the carney barker was hired I will adopt a wait and see attitude

Expectations for next year?
More entertaining but similar WL record

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 09:37:48 EST »

White would have been better off to emphasize he was happy to have Heupel instead of giving the "one offer" line.

I'm pulling success, and don't begrudge him taking the job, but my expectations are very low.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 11:41:17 EST »

The last two hires (maybe more, can't remember) they said Peyton Manning was going to be heavily involved in the process.  Surely he didn't come up with this.  If he was, maybe we just ask for a donation in the future.

I hope it all works out but Clay Travis convinced me we had coaches begging to come to Knoxville.  He's fired up now - I'm numb to it all.... 
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 01:24:19 EST »

I will leave this here for you all. Talk amongst yourselves. The comments are entertaining, if not true.
http://
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U495J-a4uik

volsboyinsodak
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 02:14:11 EST »

As posted earlier I think it's very possible White didn't know enough details of previous regimes to know how to deal with incredulous coaches. He probably also spent too much time with unlikely coaches. A guy like Campbell should be called, but he's not going to leave home.

You've gotta know how to counter negatives to sell, and I'm not sure he did that.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 02:19:25 EST »

I will leave this here for you all. Talk amongst yourselves. The comments are entertaining, if not true.
http://
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U495J-a4uik

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: